Puffy Legs

sunleychops

Visit site
Went up to see him this evening and both his near fore and near hind are all puffed up.

There is a bit of heat in them but he isnt sore to the touch on them and he isn't even slightly lame.

I have applied a good coat of cooling gel to them tonight.

Any ideas what this could be?

Im sat here in pieces :(

tonitot

Visit site
I'll be watching this, noticed last night that my girl had a puffy off fore down the back of her tendons and it was very hot. I cold hosed it last night, this morning it was worse but she didn't appear lame on it although hard to tell when it's a bit dark and your running with them! But according to someone at the yard she was hooning around fine earlier today. Was still a bit puffy tonight though so I put clay on it and will see how she is in the morning, got vet coming out Friday for it though that is to see how her spavins are getting on aswell :) will be interested to see what other people say

forestfantasy

Visit site
Is this in the morning after a night in the stable?
My girl gets puffy legs for the first few weeks when she starts coming in at night, soon goes away.
Usually her fronts, bit strange that yours is one front, one hind though.

cyberhorse

Visit site
If it is just something you notice in the mornings and goes down to normal once they get moving around properly then it will probably just be a case of filled legs from being kept in. Often they will get odd legs that make no sense unless you get there before they have heard you and got up. The times you make it in before they have stood up you'll notice the worst filled ones are those that have been most tucked up underneath them with weight on them!

I find garlic is a miracle cure for my horse, barely ever gets them since I put him on it. Plenty of folks also swear by reducing the protein in the diet.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
There have been a few threads like this over the last week or so.

Does the horse have white legs? Is the field wet/muddy? Could he have any little scratches on his legs? Often this is an early sign of mudrash about to start. Especially without any lameness.

One of mine gets it a lot. His legs have been a bit puffy a couple of times this week. Exercise takes the swelling away, and then I have to keep him out of the wet if possible. Ours have moved into their winter field, which is dry at the moment, and his legs have been fine all week.

May not be this, but its something to bear in mind, and hosing would make it worse rather than better..