Pug didn’t read the handbook

reddie

Visit site
We recently got a 2 year old rescue pug. We weren’t looking for a pug, just a small dog to join our rescue Jack Russell x spaniel. We’ve had him about 3 months now and he hasn’t read the handbook for pugs. He’s active most of the day, loves to walk, likes to bark at birds, jumps around, loves to get dirty and only becomes a lap dog in the evening. Pretty much the opposite to a pug. We had him on a diet and the vet is very pleased with his weight. Anyone else’s dog not behaving to type?

reddie

Visit site
It’s good to know they are energetic, I have seen many pugs on fb pages that are overweight, sleep a lot, not keen on walking, dressed up etc Glad he’s so energetic, just gets treated like our jrt although careful with him in heat

BBP

Visit site
I’d love to see an active fit one. A Facebook friend just got a pug and I get so sad any time I see pictures of it. It’s so deformed, it’s eyes don’t fit in it’s head, they look like they may pop out, and they seem to look different directions. It seems a happy little thing but it’s body can’t keep up with its enthusiasm.

I did meet one halfway up scafell pike a few years back, and that did change my impression of them a bit. It was super lean and fit and coping well with the climb.

islander

Visit site
I have had rescue pugs for years, along with various other rescue dogs. I agree that they should not have been bred over the years with such exaggerated features. My pugs have always been kept slim and have been active and treated like dogs (pugs don’t think they are dogs though). My present pugs are very able to keep up with our Labradors when they play in the fields, l realise that l am perhaps just lucky.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
We recently got a 2 year old rescue pug. We weren’t looking for a pug, just a small dog to join our rescue Jack Russell x spaniel. We’ve had him about 3 months now and he hasn’t read the handbook for pugs. He’s active most of the day, loves to walk, likes to bark at birds, jumps around, loves to get dirty and only becomes a lap dog in the evening. Pretty much the opposite to a pug. We had him on a diet and the vet is very pleased with his weight. Anyone else’s dog not behaving to type?
Ah the good old joyful pug. What you have described is absolutely typical pug behaviour. They are not despite public opinion lazy, personalitylless dogs. I think alot of them are listless, fat and lazy as lazy owners can't be bothered to walk, interact and play with them. I hope you have lots of happy years with the new pugster

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ah the good old joyful pug. What you have described is absolutely typical pug behaviour. They are not despite public opinion lazy, personalitylless dogs. I think alot of them are listless, fat and lazy as lazy owners can't be bothered to walk, interact and play with them. I hope you have lots of happy years with the new pugster
Personalityless!!! Noooo; the most expressive, personable little dog I've ever met was Esmerelda, the pug that started my love affair with the breed, and that was 40 years ago.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Personalityless!!! Noooo; the most expressive, personable little dog I've ever met was Esmerelda, the pug that started my love affair with the breed, and that was 40 years ago.
No I know they are not, I had 2 but now pugless :( I'm saying a lot of public opinion is they are personalityless and lazy, but it the lazy owners that make them like that. They are fabulous little dogs that have endless amounts of personality and energy when cared for correctly xx

suebou

Visit site
I used to work for a lady who bred pugs, very active dogs. Hers used to go beating at local shoots as well as leaping on the back of sofas in one go! They had good, proper faces and noses though!

Annette4

Visit site
Ginny is only part pug and totally nuts in the best way...i had assumed it was the unknown, probably terrier, side of her but from reading this thread it looks like I'm wrong.

She is loving flyball, takes great joy in herding the collies and chasing Dobby and will be starting agility when I can afford it.