Puncture wound

Karlyg21

Visit site
I had a mare given to me 5 weeks ago with a puncture wound to her hock joint on the outer side. All I was told was that it had been done 5 days prior from getting cast in her stable. She had unpredcribed anti bs for 5 days until I got her. 2 days after arriving her lower leg swelled so I called vet and got a course of anti bs, it would seem looking back now that the swelling in the lower leg was just an oedema caused by box rest. 2 weeks later vet took her off anti bs and I resumed turnout, swelling went down in day and returned only when stabled (I bandage her now). 2 and a half weeks pass without problem, this mare has never been lame. Last saturday in true tb fashion, she went through some electric fence and just took a tiny bit of scab off the wound. So I cleaned it, thought nothing of it. 2 days later her hock and upper leg blew up like a balloon, green watery puss oozing from the scab. Joint involved and mare was hopping lame. 2 days of anti b and mare is sound. Vet however has told me that there is likely debris or bone in the wound causing this reoccurance and she will need an xray and operation or putting to sleep.
I have pretty much dismissed the possibility of a bone chip due to the fact this mare has never been lame until the flare up 2 days ago. My question is...if there is debris in the wound will it work it's own way out? I am poulticing with Epsom salts which has drawn a lot of puss to the surface. Op and xray just isn't an option, I took this mare when no one else would to give her a chance, as the race yard couldn't be bothered to treat her, instead they self prescribed the anti bs she had before I took her after they said they'll just put her to sleep instead (she was way too slow
To race) of the hassle involved. I obviously have to draw the line somewhere in regards to finances with her (vet bill so far in excessive...15pound a day anti bs, 5 call outs, examinations etc etc)
Any pointers on this? I am tempted to ask for a few wks of anti bs and do a blood test in a few weeks to Check the infection had gone before taking her off them. Box rest until off anti bs and wound is 100% healed if there is a reoccurance of infection I guess it is debris inside and will have to PTS. Is this a good plan? Will poultice with Epsom salt paste help draw out debris?

muffinmunsh

Visit site
I think it is laudable of you to take her on and give it a try. The suggested route seems to be an option. However, before you embark, why not have the x-rays done to see the extend of damage? You could potentially save everybody involved a l

be positive

Visit site
I had a mare that had a hock infection that did not respond to treatment, it was thought there may be a splinter of bone but it was just that the infection needed different anti biotics, I would get a swab tested, it should not cost too much and then a more targeted antibiotic treatment may work. Poulticing will help draw anything out and keep it open rather than allowing infection to remain trapped inside.
It may well be that it is too late and the joint is too damaged or bone is infected but if she is comfortable it is worth giving her a chance without bankrupting yourself in the process.

Karlyg21

Visit site
She is touch wood responding to
Norovet anti bs quickly as her joint infection is responding quickly and swelling is subsiding, if it is too late it will be heart breaking, however I'm hoping that how fast she returned to being sound is a positive sign