Punctured Fetlock Joint - advice please

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
My mare puntured her off hind felock joint whilst doing a xc at the end of October. She spent a week at the vets having the joint flushed through. She came home and had 3 weeks box rest, then limited turn out. after the 4th week the joint was looking very good, no swelling or lameness. The vet said she could come back into work. I have spent the last month gently working her in walk and trot - up to 30 mins max and have just introduced canter. Very occasionally she has felt lame for a stride or two but this seems to have stopped. However the joint doesnt seem to have settled. It varies from cold to quite warm although this does not relate to what work I do with her. It always feels better after work. I am reluctant to do more than the 30 mins until this stops however she is very full of herself! Has anyone coped with this injury and how long could it take before the leg is settled ? I am very wary of pushing her too quick but would like a guideline on how long it could take. She is turned out through the day but in at night.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
The surgical intervention has probably made that joint a little stiffer than before. Could you get a good physio to show you some stretches to help her loosen it up? However, if you're worried that it might be something more serious, like ocyc, I'd ring the vet for advice.

only_me

Visit site
could be that she is stiff in the joint due to some scar tissue forming from injury, therefore will usually be better after some form of movement.

Ask you vet i think for a check up, cant be too careful with a joint injury
smile.gif