Puppies being sold in petshops

StarFell

Visit site
There are two petshops near me who are selling puppies
frown.gif
Where would you say they are getting them from? In one of them, the puppies are all KC reg, and have been vaccinated and vet checked, and in the other they aren't KC reg and are not vet checked (a friend bought one from there and she had worms and ear mites
frown.gif
) It really breaks my heart to see them in there, they had a litter of springers yesterday who were only 6 weeks old
frown.gif

prosefullstop

Visit site
Puppy mills. I'm shocked, as I thought selling pups through stores was banned in the UK (it isn't here, and there are countless stores selling pups in NYC). Makes me livid!

competitiondiva

Visit site
I haven't seen it for years but I think as long as the shop is licensed by the local authority to sell them then it is legal. You can check by contacting your local council and ask for them to check the pet shops license.

prosefullstop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I had a horrible feeling it was puppy mills, but then would they be able to get KC registered pups from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Over here, an overwhelming majority of store-bought pups are AKC registered. I don't know if the KC is stricter, but AKC registation means very little. Individual breed clubs seem to take a much stricter approach.

CAYLA

Visit site
As long as pet shops are making their profit and the idiots selling them to the pet shop are getting a descent top up on their benefits, they will regurlarly supply and the pet shop will buy, I don't think this is likel to stop any time soon, a pet shop near me, has done this for years
mad.gif

Oneofthepack

Visit site
It's very sad and the pups and the people that buy them suffer while the pet shops and puppy farmers get rich. If there was one round here I'd be marching up and down outside with placards showing puppy farm conditions!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I remember as a youngster going into a local pet shop and seeing an underage GSD puppy. It was so timid, even as a kid I knew it would be the last sort of puppy you would want to pick from a litter, but that other people would find it 'cute' and end up with a nervous wreck, or worse, a fear-biter.

I often wonder what happened to the poor thing. The place ended up getting shut down for selling rare animals illegally. My mate bought the coatamundi just to get it out of there and rescued (bought) most of the rats, mice and hamsters.