Puppies...dogs...

julesjoy

Visit site
Tell me about puppies please. Which books should I read to be prepared on how to train and learn about dog behaviour? What food should they eat? Which equipment should I get? Where can I find out impartial information on vaccinations? I'll probably think of more but that's it for now ?

bonny

Visit site
Tell me about puppies please. Which books should I read to be prepared on how to train and learn about dog behaviour? What food should they eat? Which equipment should I get? Where can I find out impartial information on vaccinations? I'll probably think of more but that's it for now ?
Maybe it would help if you told us what kind of dog you want and a little about your set up and experience? Otherwise it’s a very wide topic you are asking about ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Food is a minefield, but this website is a good start. I’ve filtered it so the highest rated food comes top. https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

What do you mean about vaccinations? I think most people would say always get the initial jabs and boosters. Parvo is a horrible way for a puppy to die. Id say the vast majority of breeders will give the initial vaccinations and this saves time so you can get the puppy out and about asap. I had to go back to my original practice to get the same brand the breeder used or I’d have had to re-start and delay getting them out for walks.

Re equipment, ceramic or metal bowls, puppy collar/harness/longline/lead. Puppy toys, bed, crate. My two-11 months-are still in crates overnight otherwise I get woken at 5.

Training is easy, as long as you are consistent, use the same language and practise endlessly, especially recall. Don’t expect the puppy to know what you mean. Use treats and love, but be firm. Teach hard gestures so you don’t have to shout on walks. Decide what you want-return to whistle/voice/both.

Morwenna

Visit site
I got my Labrador puppy 4 days ago. Vaccination wasn’t even a question for me. She had her first jab at the breeders and is booked in for her second. I found “the happy puppy handbook” by Pippa Mattinson really useful. In terms of equipment I have a small crate for her to sleep in, a pen for when I’m working from home so she can have a bit more freedom while I’m working but be safe and contained (and sleep). She just sleeps on vetbed with a cloth, washable peepad underneath (not like the disposable ones, just to soak up any accidents which we haven’t had yet) she sleeps in my room for now so I can hear her cry if she needs to go out. She already sleeps through until half 4 ish but I set an alarm for 4, take her out for a toilet break before it gets light and that way she settles back to sleep. Any later and it’s light and the birds are up and she just wants to get up and play. She already comes when I call her name and we’ve started some really basic ‘training’. She’s currently on the food she was at the breeders as they send all the puppies off with a bag of food. I may change her but will finish the bag first, I don’t want to change too many things at once and she’s still settling in. She’s exhausting and rewarding and a little, wriggly, mouthy, cuddly bundle of joy.

julesjoy

Visit site
Fabulous, thank you for replies. Either a spaniel or a golden retriever, depending on who gets their way on choice! I ask about vaccinations as I know someone who is very into titre (sp?) testing and believes too many vaccinations are a bad thing.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Titre testing is great - for the older dog

Yes, but puppies obviously need their initial jabs, as Amymay says, so that the titre test has something to work with. Don’t be persuaded by anyone about anything to do with your dog. Many vets now only want vaccinations every few years, not automatically every year.

Get one of each, then you can’t complain about the breed choice!

julesjoy

Visit site
That makes sense to me, thank you, although said person definitely applies it to puppies to! At least I know where not to get a puppy as I'd never meet expectations. Don't think I'm quite ready for our first puppy to be two ?