Puppies for sale in garden centers

danda

Visit site
Here in France you find puppies for sale in many of the big garden centers in the section where they sell animal foods, toys etc. I so wish this was banned, as it is (I believe) in Austria. I was at this big garden center today And there were many puppies including a little French bulldog pup who was there also a month ago, they are asking 1780€ for him, he is not a good specimen and has one ear up and one down. We have a little FB that cost 1400€ from a reputed breeder in perfect health (admittedly that was 5 years ago). We had a long interrogation on how we would look after him, how is was to be fed etc, the breeder actually refused to sell one of his pups to someone while we were there because he was not satisfied they would give him correct living conditions.

Anyone can buy these pups from these shops, no knowledge of how to look after them or what to feed them is given. What happens to those that get older and out of the cute puppy stage that have not been bought?

Is this the same in the UK? I find it quite horrifying and am really upset for these little pups. There are so many rules and regulations in all walks of life these days but often where they are really needed there is nothing.

PorkChop

Visit site
Yikes, not good at all.

No, I have never seen puppies for sale in a garden centre, though I am not entirely sure of the legislation.

I believe they sell puppies in Harrods - though I would very much hope they were choosy with the homes they went to.

ponyparty

Visit site
It's illegal in the UK, I'm sure..? I've never seen puppies for sale in pet shops, garden centres or anywhere!
I have seen it in Spain, however - a poor little Boxer puppy at an animal feed store, shut in a glass cage too small for him (looked almost like a fish tank!) under bright fluorescent lights. He looked so pathetic and miserable, it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

danda

Visit site
That is exactly how the little bulldog was, a glass box and strong lighting. No socialization and he has been there some time now. I go there to buy dog food but don't like to go because of this.

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. he has been there some time now. …….. .

That should trouble any prospective buyer. The longer that a pup lives in a cage, the less the chances of full and proper development, both physical and mental development.

Taken from the advertisement;

Our store is visited weekly by our local vets(or we go to them). All Puppies are: Vaccinated, Vet Checked with Vet Health Cert, Wormed, Micro Chipped, 4 weeks free insurance and we offer a FREE Vet check after purchase with our local Vet .
Price £499

'IF' the petshop concerned are as diligent as they claim to be, are they so wrong? If we have blanket bans on these people, then all that the unwary have left as suppliers are the very top-end, or the very worst. I'm not too sure that all the rules and recommendations which are made or waved about, are always in the best interests of the dogs themselves. It's all too easy to berate those who earn a living from dogs, but creating further legislation will only benefit those who really are in the basement of management, for the simple reason that they will ignore any conditions.

London Premier Puppies may be a collection of shysters, but then they may also have a reputation to uphold and apply a level of ethics. Perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to judge. Would I buy a puppy from such people? I'd certainly go and look and form and then make my decision.

Alec.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They could at least mention health testing of parents given the breeds they currently have in stock though.... no mention of that on a website is not a good sign. That and we all know that puppy farms/large breeding operations are perfectly capable of getting/having a licence.

littletrotter

Visit site
It's not banned in Scotland. I've never seen puppies but i saw kittens a few years ago. I reported them to the SSPCA because their eyes were barely open!