Puppies......

{97702}

Visit site
Asking for a friend 🙄.... obviously, clearly, the ideal is that you don’t leave a puppy at all as a youngster. But what would be deemed ‘acceptable’ to leave a pup for nowadays? It’s been 30 years for me 😱

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
personally i never left mine for more than half an hour in the first 2 weeks of ownership and then about an hour for a couple of days and then 2hours while i rode. i am retired so it was easier for me. if i was working i wouldnt get a puppy at all as they really need company when they have left their litter mates....

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
how old? at 8-10 weeks no more than 30mins. As they get a little older then a little longer. By the time Quarrie was 12 weeks I was taking him to work and he was having visits every hour if not with me. I always take as much annual leave as I can and when I was a kid, we'd get pups at the beginning of the summer school holidays.

{97702}

Visit site
Ok I am realistic and thinking of the pup so I’m sure this would never happen, i was wondering about an older pup that had been run on by the breeder that wasn’t up to CH show level but would do some open shows....

I blame BC (and my mum!) for the fact I’m even thinking about open shows lol, sadly a greyhound wouldn’t qualify (pedigree as long as your arm but racing bred not KC registered!)

Don’t panic it will most likely never happen, I’m just day dreaming 😊😊

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
how old though? and if they have company its slightly different. 6/7 months is a different ballgame although then you get the 10 months to 2.5 years which is just the general young dog nightmare :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Ready to don a flameproof jacket - I left sharkpup for 45 minutes the day after he came home (I needed to walk the big dogs!)

I also took a promotion at work that meant I could no longer take a dog with me, having dithered over it for weeks because my puppy plans had fallen through a bazillion times, and then this one turned up. :p

I took two weeks off work, my OH took two weeks, then I took one further week. At 14 weeks I went back to work and left him for four hours in the morning and four hours in the afternoon, with an hour's visit in the middle.

Caveats: He had two other dogs for company, toilet trained quickly, was completely unconcerned about being left alone and we have live cameras everywhere. If he'd shown any signs of separation anxiety it wouldn't have worked at all. I got lucky!

{97702}

Visit site
:p:p:p

There's a dog show at the Schipnic this weekend, just saying...

I’m already taking the boys to another greyhound charity fun dog show on Sunday 😱 saw yours but this was much nearer.... it was when my mum mentioned an open show & I realised I couldn’t enter a greyhound that I knew I was done for... 🙄

{97702}

Visit site
Hmmm.... well I don’t recall my whippets having separation anxiety at all, maybe I was lucky! My first one was with my mum when I was at work so obviously not a problem, my second one was just with the first one when I was at work - no lunchtime visit back then, although access outdoors - and they were fine! Maybe I was very lucky....

Any pup now would be left with adults for company with a visit at lunchtime or probably 2/3 visits a day IF pup was young. Assuming Ace greyhound didn’t offer to eat said pup 🙄 So many possible variables!!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Well, as a confirmed dog neglecter ;) who's aged dogs often get mistaken for pups/youngsters, I'd say it depends on the dog ;)
I tend to go for resilient types, but as my mother and I both work in order to afford our dogs we've generally gone for older youngsters, 6 months and up where possible.
My 8.5yo came home at 14 weeks and was already toilet trained and used to being left for short periods with previous owner. He had my older dog for company (they actually hated each other) for a few months and didn't seem to miss him when he passed away.
He's pretty aloof by nature lol and was very put out to get a new chum :p

palo1

Visit site
It's tricky as every dog is individual. I haven't had a pup for years till recently and lost much sleep over trying to co-ordinate puppy with annual leave/other commitments etc. I had hoped for a pup to arrive in a timely fashion ready for 6 weeks of stored up annual leave at the end of July. That would have been the optimum but it didn't work out quite like that! In reality the pup I was able to have was 8 wks and ready to leave mum at the end of May. I took 2 weeks annual leave and from day 1 the entire household's routine revolved around 'training' pup to be happy to be left for a short period in the mornings ready for when I had to go back to work and children at school (I work every morning). I tailored food, play and loo stops around me being able to put pup in his bed and walk away at 8.30 am (when I usually leave for work). Initially this was just for a very short period but was not difficult to manufacture a tired, fed and clean pup for this particular time!

Each day where he was happy in his crate with no accidents, no crying etc I could extend by 10 minutes or so. Thank goodness puppies sleep so much! I was getting up in the night and early mornings to take out to the loo and so that there was plenty of play time before I put pup in his crate. I do have an older dog too who is very relaxed and well adjusted. Pup would be in his crate, older dog free in the utility room where the dogs sleep/stay when I am working.

When I returned to work, I shortened my mornings as much as I could - so my first morning's work was just 2 hours (I begged to do some tasks at home which was agreed). Gradually over the last few weeks that has extended and now I can work a whole morning: leaving at 8.30 and returning at about 1.00pm (4.5 hours). Pup is now 15 weeks old. I still race home and leg it into the house to let pup out of his crate very first thing and avoid any diversions or anything else. So far, this plan has worked really well - puppy has not had accidents in his crate after the first couple of days, he loves going in as he gets a delish bovril smeared kong and he has no symptoms of anxiety or frustration. Thank goodness!! It is, in fact a huge relief that the plan worked. The rest of the day is entirely shaped by understanding that puppy needs plenty of engagement so that the crate and my working time is not an issue. I don't stop to shop or do anything else before I go home so have groceries delivered at the mo and will only go places in the afternoon that pup can come too. Of course I do have children who are happy to look after him if I have to do something else but I generally try to avoid that tbh. I exercise the horses in the mornings at the weekend and have accepted that whilst pup is so little riding has to be reduced to weekend mornings only. It's really not been difficult or stressful but I have had to have a plan.

I know that many, many people would say that 4.5 hours is too long for a 15 week old puppy to be left - though he does have company. Unless I can do that however, I would not be able to have a young dog and I have been very well reassured by the breeder and experienced, capable friends that the method I have followed is fine. Amazingly, yesterday I was able to leave pup free in the utility room rather than crated (though I put my older dog in her crate) and he was in his crate with all his toys, asleep when I got home. This was quite a breakthrough as I am working toward being able to leave both dogs with crate doors open whilst I go to work. I am fairly confident we will get there over the summer leave that I have remaining. I think working and having a young dog is doable if you can be flexible and plan well. It may be easier to have a slightly older puppy or adolescent dog - for reasons of bowel, bladder and brain!! I do feel lucky that my little chap seems happy and well adjusted but I was very careful in choosing a lovely breeder and have really thought of nothing else other than puppy things for quite a while now. My lad is so fantastic now: he is very secure in his routine so as long as I follow the routine, timings can now be slightly more flexible. It has been totally worth the mildly obsessed effort I have to say and it now feels 'easy'. I do think if you are offering a good home and a good life for a dog, it is unrealistic to suggest that you can't also work as the vast majority of us have to!!

puppystitch

Visit site
Asking for a friend 🙄.... obviously, clearly, the ideal is that you don’t leave a puppy at all as a youngster. But what would be deemed ‘acceptable’ to leave a pup for nowadays? It’s been 30 years for me 😱

Not sure I'd be leaving a pup alone for 30 years, at least not to begin with ;)

Annette4

Visit site
Ready to don a flameproof jacket - I left sharkpup for 45 minutes the day after he came home (I needed to walk the big dogs!)

I also took a promotion at work that meant I could no longer take a dog with me, having dithered over it for weeks because my puppy plans had fallen through a bazillion times, and then this one turned up. :p

I took two weeks off work, my OH took two weeks, then I took one further week. At 14 weeks I went back to work and left him for four hours in the morning and four hours in the afternoon, with an hour's visit in the middle.

Caveats: He had two other dogs for company, toilet trained quickly, was completely unconcerned about being left alone and we have live cameras everywhere. If he'd shown any signs of separation anxiety it wouldn't have worked at all. I got lucky!

I did the same with Fizz at the same age, when we got Dobby I was living with my retired parents so he was only ever left for an hour or so. Any future puppies will have the same although I want to rescue again for future dogs but it will obviously depend on if they will home to us.

TGM

Visit site
The trouble is there are so many variables! The main issues are toilet-training and separation anxiety. Usually if there are other dogs for company then separation anxiety is not a problem, but there are the exceptions! Years ago we acquired a year old Weimaraner and despite having another dog as company he hated being left and would destroy doors and furniture! Luckily my husband was able to take him to work with him, so not a huge issue. Toilet training is obviously a problem with a young pup as you need to be there regularly to take them out, but with an older pup you would hopefully be getting one that is reliably house-trained. The other issue might be boredom or lack of stimulation in a young dog but probably less of an issue in a sighthound if it gets a decent run before being left.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I lost a lot of sleep fretting over what turned out to be a complete non-issue, but having previously had a dog with severe separation anxiety I was expecting the worst. Thinking about it now, even if he had been able to come to work with me he would have been in a crate an awful lot, so nothing was ever going to be an ideal solution. As it is he is a remarkably well adjusted little toerag even if he did wake me up at 5.30 this morning by licking my eyes

fankino04

Visit site
When we got turned down by every rescue we approached due to my partner and I both working full time we ended up getting a pup instead, she was 12 weeks old when we got her but hadn't had her 2nd jab yet, I took the first week off to help her settle in then she was left for just short of 2 hours at a time once my partner left for work at 10. I was lucky that our bungalow came with my job at the garden centre and was in the grounds so could come home at tea breaks and lunch times, we explained this to the rescues but they still said no...

SpringArising

Visit site
When we got turned down by every rescue we approached due to my partner and I both working full time we ended up getting a pup instead, she was 12 weeks old when we got her but hadn't had her 2nd jab yet, I took the first week off to help her settle in then she was left for just short of 2 hours at a time once my partner left for work at 10. I was lucky that our bungalow came with my job at the garden centre and was in the grounds so could come home at tea breaks and lunch times, we explained this to the rescues but they still said no...

I just lied and will do so again when the time comes for another.

fankino04

Visit site
I just lied and will do so again when the time comes for another.
When I was made redundant from that job and had to get a normal full time one as she was going to be left for longer we decided to get another dog to keep her company and we lied to the rspca about work then in order to get Ash.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Having spent 3 months curing the worst separation anxiety I have ever seen in my life with Dylan I was so careful with Floyd. I didnt leave Floyd at all until he was 14 weeks, then it was just for 10mins. We built up very slowly and hes not bothered at all about being left. He pretends he is while we leave, then gets straight under the duvet for a nap!

They get left up to 5 hours at a time now but its only once in a blue moon when something happens and its too hot or cold to take them. they usually come with us otherwise. Whippets are very prone to separation anxiety anyway so I'd rather not leave them if I can avoid it. Dylan was part of a huge PHD project about it.

{97702}

Visit site
When I had the whippet puppies all those years ago ‘separation anxiety’ just wasn’t a thing.... my second pup was coursing bred and was a pragmatic little bullet of a thing, she never batted an eyelid at being left all day! And I’d forgotten my poor lurcher Macallan who I also had from a pup in around 1999, he was left shorter times as I worked 9-5 and my husband at the time worked shifts so it worked out quite well, but I do remember him chewing a hole in the plasterboard wall of the kitchen! Nowadays we’d probably be prosecuted for cruelty for leaving him 🙄 even though he grew up to be a very well adjusted laid back numpty lurcher who was gorgeous looking but as thick as anything 😂

SadKen

Visit site
Hector is 6 months old and we have left him for 5 hours in the morning since he was 12 weeks.

He is supremely unbothered by the arrangement. The routine is walk, breakfast, play, wee, into his cage (a playpen plus crate, view out of patio doors onto garden) with a toy and out I go. Dogcam proves he kips til I get home, I work from home in the afternoon. I do have my older boy keeping him company but he has never given any hint of distress whatsoever.

He did toilet train super fast and has never had an accident, but it would have been our fault if he had.

Obviously ideally we would never be parted from our dogs but that's not the real world and most folks couldn't have a pup unless they are left. The key is to meet the individual dog's needs imo.

{97702}

Visit site
I’m afraid I’m in this camp too, although accept I may be in a minority.

But I would absolutely not leave a young pup with four adult dogs unsupervised for any length of time.

With the greatest respect AmyMay that really didn’t need saying.... I’ve had dogs all my life, I don’t leave a new rescue unsupervised with other adult dogs and there is no way in the world I would leave a puppy in that position.....