Puppy farm rescue, so frustrating!

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
My friend owns a non profit rescue charity and actively rescues dogs from awful puppy farms. She recently rescued a gorgeous sweet Cavalier King Charles bitch who has spent her 5 years of her little life on a puppy farm knowing nothing but cruelty.

My friend spent months showing her that not all humans are bad, that she can be loved and safe. She came out of her shell slowly and she was finally ready to be rehomed.

A perfect person came up and after the chairty spent weeks home checking them and helping them with introductions etc, they took her and rang up to return her within 32 hours because they didn't like the fact she didn't want to be roughed about by their grandkids or didn't walk on a lead properly.

I'm so frustrated for her... Why do people do this??? Poor girl has returned terrified.

honetpot

Visit site
Its seems to be the types of people interested in modern dog ownership. They are attracted to the cute and cuddly but have no understanding of the dogs needs.
I do think some rescues do tend to seek what they see as the perfect home, when really they should be looking a the persons knowledge of animal care and a couple of scenario based questions, like you have on a job interview would perhaps highlight gaps in their knowledge or expectations. This should be far more important than the standard, must not leave the dog for more than X hours, must not live in a kennel, must the under a certain age and focus on skills needed to have the dog. Especially important if its likely to have issues.
Did the rescue not give them a list of behavioural problems? When I loan my ponies they have a list of anything that they need to know and its also discussed. I had one that anyone could ride, but could be a tw*t on the ground.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh, what a shame, what numpties.

If only our current 14yo JRT would be more amenable to sharing us and this place with another dog I'd be in touch. We've had a Cavalier before and would love a second dog, but will have to wait til the JRT has passed on. Both of us are retired and there are no grandkids (that I know of, lol).

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Its seems to be the types of people interested in modern dog ownership. They are attracted to the cute and cuddly but have no understanding of the dogs needs.
I do think some rescues do tend to seek what they see as the perfect home, when really they should be looking a the persons knowledge of animal care and a couple of scenario based questions, like you have on a job interview would perhaps highlight gaps in their knowledge or expectations. This should be far more important than the standard, must not leave the dog for more than X hours, must not live in a kennel, must the under a certain age and focus on skills needed to have the dog. Especially important if its likely to have issues.
Did the rescue not give them a list of behavioural problems? When I loan my ponies they have a list of anything that they need to know and its also discussed. I had one that anyone could ride, but could be a tw*t on the ground.

Yes they were very specific with what she needed and were very honest with the family. She came with a list of conditional requirements and they family were fully vetted beforehand and the dog went to their house twice on home visits before she was adopted.

The chairty are so careful with who they allow their dogs to go to, so my friend feels devastated that it didn't work out and feels like she's let the dog down by choosing her a home that ended up not being suitable :(

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Oh, what a shame, what numpties.

If only our current 14yo JRT would be more amenable to sharing us and this place with another dog I'd be in touch. We've had a Cavalier before and would love a second dog, but will have to wait til the JRT has passed on. Both of us are retired and there are no grandkids (that I know of, lol).

Awe such a shame, she would have been perfect for you by the sounds of it. We had a JRT and he was definitely not up for sharing us haha!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
What Honeypot said.

There's also an expectation that years of learned behaviours/experiences and genetic traits can be 'fixed' by humans in a short space of time.

A lot of rescued puppy farm dogs aren't what the average household is looking for in a dog, despite how much it might tug the heartstrings.

Hope she gets sorted!

JillA

Visit site
Cavaliers are always going to get this sort of numpty because they are charming easy dogs and people regard them as more cuddly toys than actual canines. I have a rehomed one (via breed rescue) and he has the appealing little round face and large eyes that resemble a baby's face, unlike terrier breeds who are unmistakable as dogs. And they and Bichons make up most of the puppy farm population just because they are so appealing.
But they are still DOGS - anthropomorphising them really winds me up

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes they were very specific with what she needed and were very honest with the family. She came with a list of conditional requirements and they family were fully vetted beforehand and the dog went to their house twice on home visits before she was adopted.

The chairty are so careful with who they allow their dogs to go to, so my friend feels devastated that it didn't work out and feels like she's let the dog down by choosing her a home that ended up not being suitable :(

Did they not discuss grandchildren with the couple? There certainly seems to have been some miscommunication, somewhere.

Visit site
The little rescue cocker I have had for 5 days now is extremely timid,doesnt like anyone walking behind her, or anything that resembles a stick. She is the perfect choice for me, I live alone, no visiting children, other dog that likes to be left alone. i can see a slight difference in her confidence already, because she is not overfaced here. Doesnt do stairs like other posters dog. I wouldnt think any King Charles would like to be roughed about by children. Sounds like your friend did everything she could to find the right people, but you cant bank on people telling you the truth unfortunately.

Archangel

Visit site
I hope your friend suggested the wannabe dog owners forget about having a dog and get one of those stuffed pull along ones instead.

planete

Visit site
Deciding whether applicants were going to give the dogs I fostered the right home used to give me grey hairs and sleepless nights. People will tell you what they think you want to hear or they delude themselves that they know best how to look after a dog you have been carefully rehabilitating for several months. Somebody needs to do it but I am hugely relieved it is no longer my responsibility now I cannot take in any more fosters (I cannot fit any more dogs in my car or on my sofas). Hopefully a truly suitable home will come along soon for your friend's Cavalier.

honetpot

Visit site
If you can get someone to fill out a form with their name address on, you should ask some 'what if questions', in writing. Its very easy for someone to nod and agree with you, but if they have to write their thoughts down, first they have to think and second you have written evidence you have asked the question.
A fairly local charges £200 to rehome, if you change your mind for what ever reason you do not get it back. Sometimes getting a rescue is seen as cheap dog, especially if it's a pedigree type. I do not know what the right price for a rescue dog is but my daughter paid £250 for a private rehome for a small non-pedigree terrier, which came with insurance.

JillA

Visit site
Cheshire Chestnut tell me more about her - age, location etc. I am in a few cavvie groups and someone who already owns one might be looking for another

{97702}

Visit site
Did they not discuss grandchildren with the couple? There certainly seems to have been some miscommunication, somewhere.

This for me - their extensive checks don’t seem to add up when they make the decision to home with a family who return a cavalier so quickly? They are the easiest breed around!

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Lévrier;13842877 said:
This for me - their extensive checks don’t seem to add up when they make the decision to home with a family who return a cavalier so quickly? They are the easiest breed around!

I don't know the full detail but from what I understand, small children were never ever mentioned and it is one of the many questions that is asked.

There's not much you can do if people aren't truthful.

{97702}

Visit site
I don't know the full detail but from what I understand, small children were never ever mentioned and it is one of the many questions that is asked.

There's not much you can do if people aren't truthful.

That is very true - honestly, I really do wonder about prospective adopters sometimes, as Archangel has said I do hope these idiots get themselves a stuffed toy :(

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Lévrier;13842927 said:
That is very true - honestly, I really do wonder about prospective adopters sometimes, as Archangel has said I do hope these idiots get themselves a stuffed toy :(

I agree, makes me so sad. Also such a waste of the charity's time too. They are self funded and very small so messing them about is such a blow.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
When I was breeding I learned to be very devious when asking questions of prospective new owners . I found you got far more honest answers if you were slightly sneaky 😉

Moobli

Visit site
How frustrating and disappointing. People lie and sometimes aren’t even honest with themselves about what they can cope with. When a dog is returned so quickly it smacks of someone wanting a “perfect” dog without any training or adjustment of their own lives to accommodate a new pet.

The little cav is probably better off out of a home where grandkids are allowed to be rough and the adults aren’t prepared to be patient and put in the work required.