Puppy growth?

emma21

Visit site
My rescue husky x lab is now 6months old ish... He is 30kg but I am the first to admit he's abit on the plump side :eek: anyway he's not very tall... How much more do you think he'll grow? Here's some pics of him and his best bud a 6month liver flatboat who I dog sit...

0d84d1b8.jpg

632124a4.jpg

MurphysMinder

Visit site
30kg does seem heavy for a 6 month pup, my 10 year old GSD bitch weighs that, and its more than an adult husky should weigh. I would slim him down a bit as you don't want to put too much strain on his joints. Its hard to predict how big he will grow, depends which parent he takes after.

emma21

Visit site
30kg does seem heavy for a 6 month pup, my 10 year old GSD bitch weighs that, and its more than an adult husky should weigh. I would slim him down a bit as you don't want to put too much strain on his joints. Its hard to predict how big he will grow, depends which parent he takes after.

He's not obese, he just eats way too much. It's hard one dog won't eat and the other will literally eat anything! The vet says he's not too overwieght but he's alot of muscle? He's a very solid dog and always has been, didn't have the gangly pup stage he's just an 'ard dog! But bless him he's quite short so is I guess a stocky boy!

Pix

Visit site
It does seem a bit heavy. Loki was around 27k at 6 months, or thereabouts, but he's a complete donkey of a dog. He was 27" at the shoulder by 6 months (not sure what he is now, I'm scared to measure him :rolleyes:).

Hard to tell from the pics, but he looks like he could do with dropping a couple of K as he doesn't seem to have much of a waist? If he's part lab you'll need to watch his food intake like a hawk, 'cause we all know they're just greedy stomachs with a dog attached really :p:D

ETA- Forgot to say, he's very handsome :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
He doesn't look too bad from the pics, though as Pix says he should be showing a waist. Is the rescue sure of his breeding, he could possibly be malamute cross, which would mean he was going to be a much bigger dog and would probably explain the weight.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
How tall is he?

Here's a six month old husky to compare:

25596_1392135161295_1169616200_1181584_3262668_n.jpg

I think she was 21" tall and 23kg then, now 25" and 27kg as an adult which is extremely tall and heavy for the breed. Don't ask me about labs, I haven't a clue. :p

emma21

Visit site
How tall is he?

Here's a six month old husky to compare:

25596_1392135161295_1169616200_1181584_3262668_n.jpg

I think she was 21" tall and 23kg then, now 25" and 27kg as an adult which is extremely tall and heavy for the breed. Don't ask me about labs, I haven't a clue. :p

Just measured now and he's about 20/21inches at shoulder. He just looks alot smaller to me.

He is on abit of a diet! So hopefully he'll have a nice waist soon I know how hard it is to keep weight off a lab though.

His mum was definatly sibe husky. He was rescued from a "friend" who got him down to his looks and then couldn't cope with usual puppy behaviour...

Spudlet

Visit site
I had to slim a stomach on legs down, Hen was 22.5kg when I got him, and is now 16kg (he's a cocker spaniel). My top diet tips for dogs are:

Eat less, move more:p

If you are training with treats (and I do and always have done) be stingy. A bit of treat the size of your little fingernail is more than sufficient, as long as it is tasty enough. Some dogs go mad for carrot, although I have never used them as a training treat Henry certainly likes them! Cheapo salmon (the kind that comes in slices) would be another lighter treat to use, and very yummy.

If you are using Kongs, get Philiadelphia Light to stuff them.

Cut back feed even more if you are using treats, Kongs or other food to make up for this. Little extras add up quickly.:)

You can get light food, personally I got my best results when I swapped onto Skinners but fed less of it. Some people will say raw is best, I have never fed it and don't intend to either so you will have to ask them about that:)

I would want to see a bit more of a waist too, good luck! Yes, Labs are stomachs on legs but it is totally possible to have them slim and fit - ours was;) :)

emma21

Visit site
Thankyou spudlet some really good advice I will definatly take note of it all. I have just move him on to skinners so hopefully that will help!

Oh well my chubby little puppy! His new best friend is a very likkle baby Kane korso who at like 12 weeks is already bigger!!! He's stunning though but makes my pup look less big :)