Puppy help

jewel

Visit site
i have just got a 6 week old JRT puppy, she was covered in fleas which i have spend the last hour picking off her.can i use frontline on her? what should she be fed, how many times a day? what should she wormed with( i don't think she has been wormed at all) ?

joeanne

Visit site
6 weeks? oh my, thats a little too early for my liking.
Did they not tell you what to feed her? (though if they sold her at 6 weeks....)
Personally i would be taking her to a vet for a total health check, if she has flea's then she probably needs worming too and being so small you really should seek advise from a vet.
Feed wise, i would be inclined to feed 6 very small meals a day at the moment, of a good quality puppy food
Fleas.....yuk, poor you and poor puppy, they can become very anemic very quickly through fleas. get a comb and go through her coat until you are sure nothing remains, again a vet will be able to advise on what is ok for something of her size.
Good luck with her!

jewel

Visit site
what do you class as good quality food? what they told me to feed her was twicw a day with normal dog food hence why i asked on here

devilinajar

Visit site
I would take her to the vets asap, in the mean time feed her something like Hills puppy or Eukanuba, something like that. If i remember my vet nurse training correctly, you can use frontline spray on a 6wk puppy but not the spot on's!!! O and feed atleast 4 small meals a day!

Popdog

Visit site
Frontline is safe for puppies from 2 days old.

http://www.buyfrontline.co.uk/frontline_spray_datasheet.php

I'd bath the pup in tea-tree oil (very dilute) to help with any itching. If he's to timid to bathe get some tea-tree wipes and give him a rub down.

Six weeks is very young to be away from his mum, I'd be giving him boiled chicken and white rice tonight (feed little and often, four times a day minimum) and then head off to the vets for some Hills Puppy or Natures Choice etc, etc and a wormer.

Good luck
smile.gif
I got a kitten in the same situation four weeks ago and he's now twice the size and doing well after de-fleaing/worming and good feeding.

cefyl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I'd bath the pup in tea-tree oil (very dilute) to help with any itching. If he's to timid to bathe get some tea-tree wipes and give him a rub down.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO to Tea Tree oil!!! Especially on a very young pup. Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) you would not even use on babies, young children, or during pregnancy therefore especially on a young pup (or cat) that will lick itself. It is clinically proven to cause abnormal hormonal activity in young animals (and people), and in cats can be lethal (affects the neurological system). Also has an accumalative effect in the liver and the damage done goes unoticed until often too late.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
I know most vets aren't open on sundays but if yours is even jsut in the am, give them at a minimum, a call!! They will advise you on best things to feed, treat with etc, although all the info on here has been correct so far (although I agree with no tea tree oil!)

being so young, you have to be careful of concentrations of stuff! unless specifically designed for young pups you really shouldn't risk using it!

She has been taken off her mum a little too soon compared to the norm, which is 8 weeks. But sounds like your doing a good job of looking after her!

You will maybe need to check the safety of frontline house spray too, as if she was this infested, they will definetly have got into your carpets and lain eggs, so need treating a.s.a.p. but be careful as frontline can accumulate in your animal as well.

On feeding front, hills, JWB, Royal canin, all good quality puppy food, you must soak until basically a mush and a small quantity per meal, minimum of about 4-6 meals a day!

There are special wormers for such young pups that we use at the farm, can't rememebr for the life of me what its called, but sure your vet will know!
smile.gif

Good luck! and keep brushing!
smile.gif

jewel

Visit site
i took her to the vets, she has had her first injection because of were she came from. they have de flead her and have gave me wormer to give to her. i have got her JWB food, so hopeful she well be ok.

Popdog

Visit site
Really? All of mine are bathed in Seven Seas Exmarid Tea Tree shampoo and non of them have dropped dead yet
confused.gif

cefyl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Really? All of mine are bathed in Seven Seas Exmarid Tea Tree shampoo and non of them have dropped dead yet
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had bothered to read my post about Tea Tree thoroughly you would know that it is ACCUMALATIVE damage in canines - i.e. it builds up over time in the liver / kidneys, and also is releated to hormonal imbalance (proven to affect male hormone development). It is in cats that it can cause sudden death through neuralogical damage.

And anyway using a cheap and nasty shampoo by Seven Seas the content of Tea Tree oil is so low (the scent of "Tea Tree" is added fragrance in the product NOT the actual essential oil. If animal products sold in the UK were required by law to have an INCI listing (I wish) then Tea Tree would be last on the list of ingredients in that product.