Puppy much brighter today, but...

HeatherAda

Visit site
she has the runs (sorry to be disgusting). Quite badly really.

Is this just normal as it is bound to be an unsettling couple of days? We were given a tin of food from the vets which she ate half of last night and half of this morning, and she can go back to her normal food from this evening.

The food we were given is for sensitive tummies so am I worrying for no reason? She has whimpered a couple of times today but we've been for a gentle walk which she enjoyed and is now happily occupied chewing on a hide thingy at the mo.

Acolyte

Visit site
I don't recall it happening when I had a bitch spayed BUT I also wouldnt worry about it. Some dogs (as with humans) find a general anaesthetic quite demanding on them!

I would just monitor her, and if it continues longer than 24 hours then consider ringing the vets to ask their advice. I would expect it will clear up soon though
smile.gif

Glad she is getting back to her normal happy self again!

GinaB

Visit site
I knw when I had a GA I was feeling rubbish for days so wee puppy is probably feeling the same! Monitor her closely and ensure she is drinking well. Although be careful with those hides as they can upset tummies sometimes.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I was told not to feed my girl the evening after the op, and she actually didn't want food the next day either. Perhaps your pup just reacting a bit to the GA. However, if I were you I would just give the vet a quick call and check he is not concerned. He may suggest you don't feed her for the rest of the day just ensure she is drinking okay. Hope pup soons feels better.

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
If her tummy doesn't settle you can give her plain chicken and rice (or mashed potato) - I also mix in a few raw porridge oats. Works really well
smile.gif

You could also give her a bit of live yoghurt (to replace the gut bacteria).

Not sure whether they would have given her anti-bi's as a precaution against infection maybe
confused.gif
CALA or Star or ann-jen will know what the usual procedure is... but if they did, they can upset their tummies
smile.gif

ets: I just googled spay procedure and it says anti-bi's are usually given (an injection) - so that could be what caused it
smile.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
Oh - forgot to say - I was too
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
to ring the kennels yesterday but I did get an e-mail from the homing co-ordinator in the evening to say Islay is fine after her op, and I can pick her up on Tuesday
smile.gif

She has dissolvable stitches so don't even need those taking out
smile.gif

HeatherAda

Visit site
Just spoken with the vets...

it can happen and totally normal for some dogs in reaction to the anaesthetic. As long as she is bright and happy in herself it's nothing to worry about.

I've been told not to feed her for the rest of the day (as per MurphysMinder!), to give her tummy a rest, and then feed her something very plain like chicken and rice (well done Widget!) for a few days. so you lot do know what you're talking about
grin.gif

I'm glad I called now
smile.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Glad the vets were able to reassure you. Have to admit despite having dogs all my life, and breeding them for a good part of it, I would still always have a quick word with the vet if I am bothered about something.