Puppy or rescue dog?

bgb

Visit site
After the trauma of Jura passing away, we have decided that we are ready to get a new dog. It just doesn't feel right not having a dog in the house. We spread her ashes on the beach at the weekend, the sun came out and it was beautiful:

IMG-20130401-00374_zps3808fd03.jpg

We are unsure of what route to follow now. We either want to get a smaller rescue dog/rescue lab now then get a puppy in March next year. But looking through rescue centre listings, most descriptions say that the dog has to be the only dog in the house, where we are eventually looking to have 2 or 3.

The other option is that we get a puppy now and then a rescue dog after the puppy is settled etc.

Currently, I am about to sit exams, my mum is writing up her pHD and my dad works away frequently so we have limited time. My sister and I would love a puppy now but my parents think a rescue lab (has anyone had experiences with the labrador rehoming in scotland?) would be more suited.

Please help!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sorry for your loss.

Rather than one of the big rescue names which tend to have quite strict and sometimes unrealistic rules, go for a smaller local rescue, a breed rescue or indeed your local council pound.

Unless you are looking for a specific type in terms of show, working, breeding then I'd go for rescue in your position.
Ideally with a puppy in the house you would want someone to be there for the first few weeks to stimulate and help housebreak the puppy.

An older rescue might fit into your current lifestyle better.

But please, with either option, take your time, it's the people who want a dog right this instant rather than waiting for the right dog that tend to make the snap decisions which can come back to bite them later...you might be best to wait a while until the home situation is a bit calmer. Best of luck :)

jacksmum

Visit site
I know somebody that fosters dogs for the no more tears people and she has had some beautiful ones.
They have a web site :)

satinbaze

Visit site
Why don't you try the breed rescues. I think you said Labrador well there are plenty if lab rescues depending on which part of the country you live

Adopter

Visit site
I have had 8 rescue dogs over the years, and have always tried to bring them home when I could have a few days off work to settle them in, then they have been fine. A older rescue dog is usually so grateful to be loved and have a home they settle quite quickly and if you are lucky you will avoid the chewing stage that younger dogs go through!

The only time I went for a puppy, she could not be left and I had to arrange for her to go to be dropped at my Mum's each day for months!

Mongoose11

Visit site
Bgb - where are you? A litter my mum bred resulted in a lovely little pup who was born with an oesophagus issue. Rather than pts Mum has spent over 4000 pounds on getting him right. He is now approaching 4 months old and is perfectly healthy but still on mushy food which will be gradually hardened over time. He is expected to live to a good age... Although Mum is prepared to give him a home for life I think she would and should consider rehoming him as he is now dog number six. Let me know if you would like to know more about him :)

bgb

Visit site
Bgb - where are you? A litter my mum bred resulted in a lovely little pup who was born with an oesophagus issue. Rather than pts Mum has spent over 4000 pounds on getting him right. He is now approaching 4 months old and is perfectly healthy but still on mushy food which will be gradually hardened over time. He is expected to live to a good age... Although Mum is prepared to give him a home for life I think she would and should consider rehoming him as he is now dog number six. Let me know if you would like to know more about him :)

In Edinburgh. Poor thing, very lucky to have had you mum looking after him! What breed is he? pm me if you want :)

Sue C

Visit site
Have a look on net at Dog Pages they have rescue dogs all over the country. We rescued a 10 year old border collie/springer spaniel and 3 months later rescued a 9 month old Jack Russel/staff and they play loads

ladyearl

vvv
Labrador Retriever Rescue Scotland

If you have facebook look up this page. I've followed for good while and the lady who runs it seems to place the dogs very carefully and I'm sure would be able to help you get the right dog for your set up.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Bgb can't PM as on my phone but he is a black lab pup. Born from our black mum and big choc dad! Bedfordshire may be too far to come though :(

Daytona

Visit site
Please please take a rescue dog.

22,000 unwanted dogs were PTS in the UK last year.

You could reduce that number this year by 1, it's not a lot but its a start.

Xxx

BBH

Visit site
Please please take a rescue dog.

22,000 unwanted dogs were PTS in the UK last year.

You could reduce that number this year by 1, it's not a lot but its a start.

Xxx

Ditto this.

For the first time ever I have rescue dogs and they are so wonderful I can't believe I haven't done it before.

Although having seen MM's bullmastiff pup it will be really hard to resist one of those.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd go rescue too. We have two adopted labs - one was from a friend of a friend, the other from the Northwest lab rescue, who have rehomed as far as Scotland too! They get pregnant labs sometimes, so there are puppies available at the rescue - for those that believe the clean slate thing..

millimoo

Visit site
Ditto this.

For the first time ever I have rescue dogs and they are so wonderful I can't believe I haven't done it before.

Although having seen MM's bullmastiff pup it will be really hard to resist one of those.

Thanks BBH - He is rather cute :)

Regards rescues, Northwest Labrador Rescue are very good http://www.homealabrador.net/
I was going to re-home a lab through them, & was prepared to foster oldies, but events have overtaken me at present so my lab will remain an only child for now...
However I plan to go to them first. They helped my friend a great deal when she had to re-home one of her bitches, as she was attacking the other (they'd lived together for 6 years, but hated each other at the end)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks BBH - He is rather cute :)

Regards rescues, Northwest Labrador Rescue are very good http://www.homealabrador.net/
I was going to re-home a lab through them, & was prepared to foster oldies, but events have overtaken me at present so my lab will remain an only child for now...
However I plan to go to them first. They helped my friend a great deal when she had to re-home one of her bitches, as she was attacking the other (they'd lived together for 6 years, but hated each other at the end)

We have one from them, as did a few friends, and all have been great. They're lovely too, with a forum and facebook page for backup.

RhaLoulou

Visit site
Please go for a rescue dog! My £15 from the police kennel, or death row really as nine days grace only, is absolutely fantastic! She is the envy of many at the stables she is so well behaved and friendly!

Rose Folly

Visit site
We've only had rescue dogs for the last 40 years. Eight out of our nine dogs came from the local rescue centre. The only bad experience we had was with The Labrador Rescue Society - I may not have the name quite right.

After asking endless questions, which was entirely OK, they matched, or rather mismatched, us with the most unsuitable dog. Very briefly, the only criteria on my part was that the dog would be young enough and fit enough to come out riding with me, and should enjoy car travel as I had to go from Somserset to Northumberland over a weekend every month to see my very elderly mother.

We were given Jasper, who turned out to have massive hip displacia, so was totally incapable of keeping up with even a walking horse. He was also car crazy to the extent that he started to bark the moment the engine was turned on, and continued until it was turned off again - the 6 hour journey to the North was a total nightmare.

I wasn't allowed to meet him before he was handed over - which was done at Aust Services on the M4, where a demented person from the society disengaged him from her own 3 Labs who were all crammed in her rather small car!

We did keep him because we loved him despite everything. But he died very young, and it put me off breeed rescues for life.

My strong advice would be to get a rescue, not a puppy, from your local rescue centre. They would usually only advise the dog being the sole dog in the house if it had a problem with other animals. No such restrictions were ever put on our rescues, and we have sometimes had 3 - and certainly we always have 2 dogs, to give them the companionship they need if we are out. Don't be too set in your breed requirements. We wanted Labrador types, and have ended up with wonderful, wonderful crossbreds such as Labrador x GSH, GSH x whippet, collie x Lab x terrier, Dandy Dinmont x Basset, Kerry Blue x Schnautzer and Foxhound x Dalmatian. They don't have to be purebred to be perfect!