Puppy pooing in his pen

millie99

Visit site
Another quick question if you don't mind. Dobby is in his pen most of the day and we are with him. The problem we are having is he keeps pooping in his pen even though we take him out side all the time and rarely has a poo when he is outside. Do you have any ideas or how we can get him to poo out side instead of in his pen.

Thanks

Millie

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Are you taking him out at 'key' times? Ie. After food, after play and after sleep.

Why is he in a pen all day?

galaxy

Visit site
how often are you taking him out and how old is he?

When my boys were tiny I took them out every half hour.

If he doesn't understand yet that he doesn't poo inside you need to watch him constantly and as soon as he gives to the body language he's about to go (sniffing/circling) you pick him up and take him outside.

millie99

Visit site
We do take him out and put him in the yard a lot so he can go to the toilet and do some training we take him out after food and drink and after sleep we don't go after play as he plays all the time. He's 9 weeks and we take him out every hour.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If he's in his pen most of the day he'll poo in it. At 9 weeks old his bladder will be tiny.

So you need to get your timings a bit better and when he goes outside and toilets - lots of praise. Do you have grass?

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
Look at what surface he is used to using (ask his breeder if necessary). Puppies learn a substrate as their toilet area, which is why the newspaper etc worked so well, and why those used to grass have been known to use carpet which is a similar texture. I have a 7 year old who was encouraged to use a patio area in preference to the lawn and she still prefers my tarmac drive.
And wash his bedding in a good biological washing powder and/or get one of those deodorising sprays for dogs - their sense of smell is several hundred times more than ours so if there is even the tiniest trace left he will smell it

millie99

Visit site
We are keeping an eye on him and take him out when he looks likes he is going to have a poo but he doesn't have one. Do you think we should take him out more often or just leave him out side. Do you think we put a towel outside for him to go on? He is happy to pee out side and usually does it on the door mat.

JillA

Visit site
The newspaper thing is to get them to regard the paper as their toilet then move it outside and gradually reduce the size so there is pretty much nothing left and they have become used to a different surface. You could get him used to the towel, especially if it smells like his loo, and move it outside but not sure how you would wean him off it

galaxy

Visit site
We are keeping an eye on him and take him out when he looks likes he is going to have a poo but he doesn't have one. Do you think we should take him out more often or just leave him out side. Do you think we put a towel outside for him to go on? He is happy to pee out side and usually does it on the door mat.

Yes he needs to go out more often. An hour is usually too long for 9 week old puppy.

No I wouldn't give him anything outside to go on. It will confuse him and hell then end up going on the same texture indoors

galaxy

Visit site
We do take him out and put him in the yard a lot so he can go to the toilet and do some training we take him out after food and drink and after sleep we don't go after play as he plays all the time. He's 9 weeks and we take him out every hour.

You say yard... does it have any grass? Quite often dogs don't like to go on concrete.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think i have sorted housetraining(famous last words) except when it is raining, then he will run indoors and poo on the carpet, i sorted it out by giving him a treat every time he weed or pooed outside . its taken me 4 weeks to relax about his housetraining as i had gastro enteritis and was ill myself so couldnt be around all of the time to see the signs, otherwise i think it would have taken 2 1/2 weeks, which was a lot longer than it took me with my others. they were bitches and not sure if they are easier as it is very obvious when they are going to wee as they squat, my terrier boy just stopped and didnt sniff around or give any signs and had gone before i realised what he was doing....i dont have a pen and he only goes in his crate when i go out...you need eyes in the back of your head for housetraining and its so nice to have got it sorted at last....good luck