Puppy problems!

mattydog

Visit site
Remember me and my great idea to get 2 puppies 4 weeks apart. Well now they are 9 and 10 months old and still driving us crazy....mostly in a good way. However, Georgia the ridgeback is very excitable and energetic! She has started barking at anything and everything and often at nothing. She also runs along our boundary if people, walk, ride or cycle past our property. All stuff we can eventually, hopefully, deal with. But she has now started to jump,over our 5 bar gate and join said, walkers, riders and cyclists given the chance. Not something we are happy about given the way some people drive around country lanes. I have just ordered a plastic strip with spikes to put on the gate and see if that will stop her and I am always watching her and stopping her if I can but anyone have any other ideas. I don't want to chain her up if I can possibly help it.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'd just make the gate taller by adding a lightweight trellis or similar to the top.
Has she got toys/chews and plenty of exercise/stimulation? A combination of all/any of these, and I'm sure she'll grow out of her 'teenage' years!!

mattydog

Visit site
She gets lots of exercise, has more toys than she knows what to do with, including some unofficial ones...ie hoof picks, grooming brushes, remote controls. You get the picture right?! I am at home almost all the time so they are rarely left in alone. We live on an 8 acre small holding of which they have around an acre of garden, wood area and paddock to roam. I am also of the opinion she, and Bella who is no trouble at all, are being teenagers and will out grow this stage. I will try the trellis idea though. We are going to look a bit strange for a while! Thanks FM.

mattydog

Visit site
They are walked for an hour a day, mostly off lead. They are out with me almost all day and have the run of the acre not allocated to the horses. The 2 of them play...a lot. They also have a 20 minute training period. Most days they sleep maybe a couple of hours and the rest of the time they are on the move in some form or another so lots of activity either with us or between themselves.

mattydog

Visit site
Different places but always together. They have pretty much bonded so walking them separately would cause problems as would have to leave one of them home. I am pretty sure I would lose the rest of my home!

Sandstone1

Visit site
By always walking them together you could cause problems for yourself. What happens if one is ill and needs to stay at the vets etc?

Each dog needs some individual time with you for training etc.
Two pups close in age and spending 24/7 together will bond with each other more than you.
I would try very hard to get them used to being a part for a little time each day. Start with 5 mins and slowly build it up.
If you don't you are storing up problems for yourself.

mattydog

Visit site
They do spend time apart during the day and we have had them both at the vets separately on occasion so they aren't that bad. However, walks are exciting and to try and take one without the other would be tough. It isn't something I have ever thought of doing although they have been up in the fields poo picking with me on their own if the other was sleeping! Will give it a go for short walks.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm not saying separate them from long periods. Just a bit of individual training and attention from you. It's not ideal to have two pups close in age I don't think anyway.

mattydog

Visit site
It seemed like a good idea at the time and tbf has worked out pretty well for us. My initial post was a problem with my over energetic Ridgey! We do have an older rotty who adores both the pups and they have given him a whole new lease of life. They are quite happy to be left with him so walks on their own may not be such a huge problem after all. Thanks for your thoughts. Off to do the horses....and there lies a different set of problems!

twiggy2

Visit site
Separate walks are very important it builds a better relationship with you, creates dogs that are confident in the world in their own right and stimulates the brain in a whole new way.
Unless you want a fence running noisy out of control guard dog allowing a puppy/young dog to be at that fence unchecked is not a good idea, I would be very concerned with the dog jumping out for the reason you mention but also if someone feels threatened by your dog that can be all it takes for action to be taken if it is reported. Also if you dog causes an accident and your insurance feels that reasonable steps have not been taken to stop the dog escaping then will they still pay out in the event of a claim?
I would also be looking into why the dog is feeling the need to bark at so much.

Clodagh

Visit site
I should imagine that barking and chasing something that always runs away - so the dog has won - is very empowering and great fun. THe gate jumping is probably an absolutely natural progression.
As Twiggy suggests I would stop them free roaming the garden and guarding the fence line for a start, if you are always at home could they perhaps be with you rather than making their own entertainment?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As someone who has suffered two bouts of temporary disability this year, can I tell you that it would have been absolutely petrifying for a large ridgeback puppy to have 'joined me' on a walk past your house. It would be similar for anyone afraid of dogs.

Please, please do whatever it takes, including chaining him up, to stop your dog jumping out and scaring people.

You may know he's 'harmless', but they don't. And no dog loose in your path is harmless to someone disabled.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
What about a dog run for when she cannot be observed/monitored? I've got a mahoosive one for my boy and it's not too expensive. Once he's had his run he just lies in one corner! Much better than chaining if it comes to it.
Or can you use panels to block access to the boundary? Fence running can become a negative (sometimes obsessive) and self rewarding habit.

I've been in the position where I've been joined by a very large, loose dog and I remember thinking how vulnerable I was, if the dogs had kicked off and I'd be in the middle of it miles from anywhere.

YCBM I recently had to remove a dog from the space of a wheelchair user who explained to me that it was very scary to have a dog higher than his head height staring him out. Never looked at it from that point of view before. Dog was a wee bit iffy with me but I just shooed it out the door and shut it. Brave pants on ;)

I'm sure you'll get it sorted Mattydog!

Alec Swan

Visit site
At 9 and 10 months, it's likely that your pups will be testing the boundaries, and not just those of the garden. 'Preventing' them from leaving your property achieves no more than a physical barrier. The better approach may be to train them, not with their agreement, but by your insistence that they will comply with your wishes.

We have a strong willed lurcher dog living in the house, the garden gate is left open, and he would no more think of leaving the property than fly. It's the same at our 'yard'. He's learned that there are bounds. It's never involved physical enforcement, just the understanding that No means just that.

You've taken on two pups of similar age and despite the warnings of others that 2 were more than twice the trouble of 1, you've persevered. Now the time is here for serious discipline and without it your future looks bleak. To make matters even more difficult, training two pups and whilst they're side by side rarely achieves anything. Each pup needs individual attention and whilst away from the other. Sorry to be blunt, but it's how things are.

Alec.

0310Star

Visit site
I am someone who got 2 pups close in age so I can completely understand. My Rottweiler was 8 months when we got our 4 month old Pointer (Now 1yr 8months & 1year 4months). And I can tell you we have had MANY hair pulling moments! They were extremely hard work and it was very testing at times but we have got through (mostly) to the other side now. So don't give up hope!!

The main thing for us was to work out what worked for them. The Rottweiler especially is very routinely. She was a massive handful as a puppy, she didn't sleep right through the night until she was over 1! (think barking 10-12 times a night!!) Very hyperactive, always wanting to play etc where as the Pointer although playful has turned out much calmer. He was very boisterous until a few months ago but we have managed to get around that with plenty of stimulation.

They are actually better in the week when we go to work, they seem to like the routine of I walk them on lead for 30-40 minutes at 5.30am, I leave for work at 7.30am, they sleep until 12.30pm when the dog walker comes to take them out for an hour on lead, and then my partner gets home anytime between 12 and 5, they then get an hour-ish off lead walk in the evening with us both. Some people have said to us that we walk them too much at a young age but it works for us and the vets are happy that we are doing what's best to suit our dogs.

We took them to Kennel club training where they both achieved the Bronze certificate, but the Pointer wasn't finding it physically stimulating enough (trainer agreed) so we started taking him to agility which he is amazing at! The Rottweiler has started coming to agility too and although she just does little jumps and we use it as training for her rather than the agility side of it she really enjoys it too.

They aren't perfect, but they are manageable now which makes a huge difference! But we have to remind ourselves that they are still young and things can only get better.

You just need to find what works. I wonder if setting a routine would work, like mine for example, they go out for a walk, they then sleep, then they go for another walk, then sleep again, then they are with us all evening. I agree they will be testing their boundaries, just stay firm and it will come together.

Good luck!

ETA- My two are always walked together, but they are fine being separated too and always have been so we don't overly worry about it. We can walk them separately, take them separate places etc we just cant leave 1 home alone and take the other out but that's understandable in my eyes.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My litter mates are no longer allowed to run free in the woods after the overnight looking for two dogs in acre of acre of woodland! I would defo suggest separate walks.

Whilst in America, there was some form of invisible electronic boundary so guests weren't bothers by the owner's dog. I have no idea how it works, hopefully not a nasty buzz to the dog or anything. If anyone knows what I'm on about, perhaps they could clarify.

I would also just raise the height of the boundary, make it quite solid, tho, she's a solid dog and now used to jumping over. Do be vigilant, 'out of control dogs' is something which might be raised and you're on a loser if she chases a rider/cyclist who then has an accident, for example.

mattydog

Visit site
I completely agree with all the 'out of control' comments which is why I am asking for advice. We have had several rotties and a ridgeback before with no major issues so , although in no way experts, consider ourselves competent with dogs and training. We have now reinforced our boundaries and increased the gate and wall height. They receive individual training on a daily basis and do get treated as separate dogs and not as a pair. Georgia is particularly 'wild' in a testing way. We are doing our utmost to stop her harassing anyone. She is being friendly although I know how scary she will appear to anyone who does not know her. She has only jumped out twice...which is twice too often and why I sought advice on here. Thank you for your words of wisdom and I look forward to posting about my well adjusted, well behaved girlies I due course. The object of our concern is currently upside down and fast asleep.

11bluewolf

Visit site
I agree def increase the height of your boundary. However i think simply discipline and obedience is the way forward. Get the dogs attention on you and make it black and white for them what is right and wrong. A stern NO etc. Also have you thought about crate training/ or having a designated small ish room to keep dogs separate but safe? just a thought

Clodagh

Visit site
I am glad you have started doing seperate training. I have never had two young dogs together but I know people say seperate training is a must, hopefully you will now find she learns some manners! Dogs, just there to keep you on your toes (and to sometimes make you look stupid in public, if you were getting complacent).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I agree def increase the height of your boundary. However i think simply discipline and obedience is the way forward. Get the dogs attention on you and make it black and white for them what is right and wrong. A stern NO etc. Also have you thought about crate training

That's all very well, but if they are in the garden, this means you have to supervise at all times and TBH, regardless of what I'd said, my two Houdinis would have gone AWOL. The neighbour at the back of us has nothing stopping a dog getting onto the main road from the back garden. His fence has holes in so we repaired it with his permission. In nice weather, my lot have free run of the garden which is now escape proof *crosses fingers*

I'm not sure what good crate training would do? My lot are crate trained but only to keep them safe when they were tiny and away from the big dog. It's useful if they need rest after an injury, but they don't get locked up otherwise.

mattydog

Visit site
I have been all over the ginger ninja like a rash today and she is already much better. Fortunately the weather has been glorious so I was more than happy to sit in the sun and watch her like a hawk. She is a smart hound so does pick things up quickly. It also means she works out how to get away with stuff too! Gates and walls have gained height so fingers crossed we are heading in the right direction. Thank the Lord for Bella who is the easiest little lady in the world. She is getting lots of attention to make up for the extra time spent with Georgia. Thanks for all the replies.