Puppy sitting in an old dog

windand rain

Visit site
Willow over the pasr few weeks has started to puppy sit she is almost 11 and still very sprightly but its not usual for her. She isnt obviously lame or sore and still as barmy as ever. She is eating toileting and responding normally to commands.

fiwen30

Visit site
If it’s not usual, then definitely get her checked. My lad started sitting wonky when he’d damaged and eventually tore his cruciate, as it was more comfy than fully flexing his knee. Could also be stiffness caused by arthritis, or pain somewhere in the legs or back.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Ditto the previous two replies. Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like such changes, and would suspect it could be caused by something which perhaps isn't visible yet for you, but which she can feel.

However, I'm the worrying type of owner, who also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out she's doing it simply because she suddenly realised that she still could.

deb_l222

Visit site
Every day's a school day - what's puppy sitting?

I must confess I was kind of expecting a babysitting (but dog) thread and your dog had set up her own puppy sitting business :p

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm imagining where there's visible laxity in the rear end/the dog is sitting slumped over onto one side or on tail/sloppily/not sustaining or distributing weight properly. It's more common in pups as they haven't firmed up yet.
Exactly.
P dog puppy slumps much of the time when doing a sit.
Whilst it looks v sweet, shes well over the wrong side of 10, has luxating patellas on both hinds, plus upper curvature of the spine.
She's managed conservatively on Yumove advance 360 and every so often has a few days on Rimadyl if its v cold etc as it helps her mobility, but I think we'll be onto permanent drugs quite soon.

windand rain

Visit site
Puppy sitting is sitting on her tail with back legs sort of forward. She doesnt do it all the time mind you she doesnt sit much anyway, She has always lay down with her legs behind her and always lies down to eat again always has. Vet thinks it could be to do with anal glands but they are clear so not sure why she has started doing it.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd query a back or hip issue via x-rays. What age is she? If she has never liked sitting then it might have been lurking for a while. I notice when observing sit/stand/down repetitions, the sit is the one dogs have most issue with, if they are in pain or uncomfortable/not right, they are usually slower going into and out of it it from down/stand or flick ears/look backwards.

deb_l222

Visit site
I'm imagining where there's visible laxity in the rear end/the dog is sitting slumped over onto one side or on tail/sloppily/not sustaining or distributing weight properly. It's more common in pups as they haven't firmed up yet.

Ah yes, I understand now.

Only one of mine that ever sat like this was Rufus and he had a bad back.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our Rottweiler who had to be pts aged 6 because of a splenetic tumour which had spread always, all her life, sat on one haunch. I would be wary of another that did that, or at least ask for a scan long before we did - when it was too late. She was a very active, quite athletic dog for her size, loving to jump and climb, there was no hint until she was very ill. But Rotters are very stoic dogs. Looking back she had stopped pulling on the lead when we went for a walk but I thought that was just growing up/successful training.

fiwen30

Visit site
RE. pain displays: I thought I knew my dog inside and out, but had no idea that he had discomfort in his back until a qualified, experienced vet physio laid her hands on him, and found a trigger point along his spine. I now know that he’s incredibly polite & stoic about pain, and behaved and moved completely ordinarily, until the very exact point was triggered. So if this is a new behaviour, I would definitely be looking into pain or discomfort somewhere.