Puppy slight lameness/stiffness

caitlin95uk

Visit site
I have a 4 month old golden retriever puppy. He's small for his age but his mum was quite small so will possibly be a smaller golden retriever when older. He's a lovely sweet puppy.

In the morning, he gets a 2/3 minute walk to do his business. It's worth saying, he hates mornings and would rather stay in bed. For the first minute or so in the morning he has this front leg lameness/stiffness, really ever so slightly, other people don't see it well but I can (perhaps I know his gait better or can spot lameness easier from my life in horses). It is usually gone by the time he comes back into the house and definitely gone when he wakes back up later in the morning. I have only seen this two times, but would like to monitor it to make sure it's not anything bad.

Some have said it could just be growing pains? If most of their growing is done in their sleep, I can imagine mornings being a bit stiff. Just to add, he is a very active puppy the rest of the day and shows absolutely no troubles at any other point and happily runs and plays with other dogs.

Obviously with his breed is the possibility of elbow dysplasia so would like to keep an eye, but am I over-worrying? Has anyone else had this with a puppy? He grew slowly when we first got him and was quite behind averages of his breed. Now it seems like he's doing all his growing in one go!

Thanks for any advice.

Clodagh

Visit site
First puppy, a lab, had irregular front leg lameness and it was fissures in her growth plates. Prognonis was poor without surgery but we decided not to do it anyway, she is 9 this year and still does a full seasons picking up.
Young lab was intermittently lame on different legs and was diagnosed as growing pains, and it did indeed stop after a few weeks.
I would speak to your vet, total rest was needed for our pup.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Were her parents elbow scored and what were the results? A friend's pup had pano/growing pains on all four and it can drag on for a while. Hopefully it's nothing too serious but she should see a vet.

minesadouble

Visit site
Our Vizsla had panosteitis a few times when he was a pup, though I don't remember it being any worse in the mornings. He's absolutely fine now, I agree that it's worth a visit to the vet's to hopefully put your mind at rest.

caitlin95uk

Visit site
Parents weren't elbow scored, regretting it now though.
Thanks all, will book into vet to check him over. Letting him rest for a couple of weeks - he's so energetic it's hard to force him to chill out but he looks like he is due a growth spurt and it wouldn't surprise me if it's panosteitis.