Puppy Travel

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Wondered if anybody had any idea on how to secure a new PRT puppy in the car. Am due to collect her on Friday (9 weeks old). I am sure a harness would not work on a puppy, so I thought about getting one of those portable kennels (mesh type ones) but don't see how I can fix this to the car seat. I have a saloon car with four seats (ie. not a hatchback). Would be really gratefully for any ideas. Think I might just have to use lots of bailing twine to attach portable kennel type thing. I travel on my own a lot in the car so nobody to hold her. Obviously no problem when she's older. Thanks guys xx

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
We got Gunnar used to travelling (old GSD was a nightmare) by using his cage in the car. Bit of a pain because I have a 3 door hatch, but he is quiet as a mouse!
grin.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As your pup will only be small what about a cat carrier? You could put this in the passenger foot well (providing you don't have a passenger
smirk.gif
) Evie came home on my daughters lap, although we did have a cage in the back in case she wriggled, but she sat very happily watching the world go by for the hour and a half journey, and has travelled fine ever since. I think it is quite important to make the first journey as trauma free as possible.
Moonwalker, I wouldn't travel a small pup loose in the boot of a 4 x 4, they are likely to be thrown around quite a bit. A cage is ideal, and a lot safer than travelling loose.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Thanks. Yesterday I have a bought a small carrier with mesh sides (so she can see me) ~ which I am going to either put in foot well or strap to front seat. I don't want to just chuck pup in as she's only a baby so will spend lots of time with it at home first and praising her when she gets in on her own.

Mum is coming with me to collect her so will sit on her knee for her first journey !

Moonwalker ~ I wouldn't put pup in loose either ~ pups like to feel restrained and enclosed when they are young ~ not to mention if you had to suddenly brake ! ~ I would put a cage/crate/carrier in the boot of 4x4, and put a blanket/bed inside.