Puppy versus bee

scats

Visit site
Spent yesterday evening at the emergency vet hospital with Lily pup. As I was unlocking the front door after our walk last night, she was sniffing something on the drive. Next thing she leapt back shaking her head and I saw a bee emerge and fly off. Got her in the house and it was clear she wasn’t happy. Small swelling on her lip so I looked and realised the sting was still in. Tried to remove it and she went berserk- couldn’t even touch her lip without hysterics. She then got so distressed that she actually had diarrhoea all over the couch.
Rang the out of hours vet and explained what had happened and that she didn’t seem to be having a reaction, but was in a lot of pain. They said to bring her in so we headed to the hospital.
Long story short, but the vet finally got it out on the last attempt before sedation (which he was trying to avoid doing). It took 3 of us to get it out- one holding her, me covering her eyes and lifting her lip and the vet with his torch and tweezers! Then she had an antihistamine and a painkiller jab. Fortunately she didn’t seem to have a reaction to the sting other than localised swelling.
I missed my sister-in-laws birthday meal, but just glad that we got Lily sorted. Poor thing.

Hope she stays away from bees in future!

Attachments

• 141AE244-A6AB-491E-A39B-C03FB879DFB5.jpeg
    141AE244-A6AB-491E-A39B-C03FB879DFB5.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 22

scats

Visit site
Thank you. She’s much brighter this morning and had a good play at the shore with her sisters first thing. Now she’s snuggled up with me and one of the other dogs on the couch, watching the rain outside. She’s still a bit more tired than normal, but the vet said that she might be but should be back to normal by Monday. Good job she’s cute!

Clodagh

Visit site
Poor Lily.
Pen got stung by a wasp yesterday, it was right up inside her armpit and she completely panicked and I couldn't catch her. Eventually I managed to grab her, flip her over and get it off. She was very sad and sore, she was lame all day. I hate stings, so I sympathise with both her and Lily. :-(

Last edited: