Puppy's ear

Copperpot

Visit site
Until last week he had perfect little ears. This week one has started to hang differently. It kinda has a crease down the middle.

He is 4 months old and I believe teething can affect their ears.

Has anyone experienced this?? I'm hoping its not a permanent thing.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
What breed is he? They can go up and down in a lot of breeds when teething as you say. If they need to be erect, raw chicken wings can help. If you really want you can have them taped. Or just live with the floppy ear!!

TJP

Visit site
[SUP][/SUP]Our pups ears went up and down like yo yos at that age. He is a lancashire Heeler. By 6 months they were up like 2 flags and have remained up. 'Ear watch' was fun :)

Sorry cross posted, our lads ears are meant to be up so slightly different.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh right I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing then!!

TJP - sorry to go off topic but did you get sorted with that other thing? PM me if you prefer :)

TJP

Visit site
Yes I did thanks. We went along and had a great time. We will be going to more but hubby had a bad accident that night while we were there so haven't managed to get out a lot since. Thanks again for your help. The folk were lovely.

Copperpot

Visit site
A bad thing lol. It makes his ear stick out to the side. I'm not sure if I could tape the crease to stop it folding. His Mum and Dad had "normal" ears so maybe it will settle when he finishes teething.

TJP I am on constant ear watch since I noticed it. I can't stop looking at them!

TJP

Visit site
I would talk to the breeder. Maxs breeder & the FB breed group were great when I had any questions about Max. My aunt used to 'glue' the tips of Airedales ears when they were young to make them fold correctly but I don't know if this is still done or whether it can cause problems. Also have no idea what she used.

Copperpot

Visit site
I will give them a call. A google search bought up gluing Airdales ears. Copydex is used!! I'm loathe to do that as I'd probably make it worse and chances are it will sort itself out. Although when he is playing with the other dogs, I am constantly saying "don't touch his ear!!!"

TJP

Visit site
Quick trip to the stationers lol. For peace of mind I would give the breeder a call. We are now waiting for Max to grow into his massive batfink ears.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh that's no good, hope he's OK!!

Copperpot, there is a technique to doing these things, in my own breed there are people you can go to, to get it done (usually very old ladies who live on their own on sheep farms in the middle of nowhere :p), so maybe the breeder could help point you in the right direction.

Copperpot

Visit site
Lol. I know a lady who hand strips this kind of breed so maybe she can do it. The breeders are over 2 hours away so too far to use anyone they know. I will start searching for these "special" old ladies you mention!

TJP I hope he grows into his ears soon!