Purchase horse 5 stage vetting ireland horse has sweet itch

Donna h

New User
Visit site
Bought horse got vetted it arrived today like this.
What can i do .

Attachments

• received_404537673837679.jpeg
    received_404537673837679.jpeg
    639.4 KB · Views: 82
  • received_346446536340964.jpeg
    received_346446536340964.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 82

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Was the horse from a dealer or a private sale?
Did you ask about sweet itch, or is it mentioned on the advert that the horse is free from it?
Have you spoken with the vet who vetted it?
Is it definitely sweet itch, rather than a bald mane from neck rugs?

Donna h

New User
Visit site
Was the horse from a dealer or a private sale?
Did you ask about sweet itch, or is it mentioned on the advert that the horse is free from it?
Have you spoken with the vet who vetted it?
Is it definitely sweet itch, rather than a bald mane from neck rugs?
Definitely sweet itch vet said she asked seller if it had sweet itch i paid vet to check yes i asked if the horse had any conditions

Attachments

• received_271739764159503.jpeg
    received_271739764159503.jpeg
    866.4 KB · Views: 37

be positive

Visit site
Whether it was mentioned in an ad or not this should have been seen by the vet at vetting and brought up in the post vetting conversation, it may just be rubbing from rugs but it should have been discussed by the vet with the vendor during the vetting and the buyer afterwards not just ignored which is probably the case.

I had one in my yard vetted a few weeks ago and one of the numerous questions was 'has he shown signs of rubbing?' in our case the horse did have mild sweet itch but having been carefully managed was showing no signs, we did declare it and it had already been discussed with the buyer so they were well aware.

I think it can be impossible to ask about every specific condition prior to purchase so you are relying on the vet being diligent, sadly many are not and things like this slip through, I would chase it up and be prepared to send the horse back, sweet itch can be a nightmare to deal with.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Northern Ireland or Ireland?

NI, send it back or claim off the vet.

Ireland. Different country, you need an Irish qualified solicitor, I think.

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
When did vet vet it - if very recent - last week or so - I'd be sending horse back to purchaser for full refund and asking vet for refund also - if either wont then look at legal action.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
How much do you like the horse ? If the answer is ‘a lot’, there are no other problems and from the pictures, it looks as though the rubbing is minimal, this may be a one-off problem rather than full-blown chronic sweet itch. Important to establish this.

honetpot

Visit site
Looks to me like ringworm. My bull had it this winter and it fooled me as first as it was looked just like that with cracked skin. I then realised it was where tended to sweat. It also doesn’t look any sweet itch pattern.

be positive

Visit site
Looks to me like ringworm. My bull had it this winter and it fooled me as first as it was looked just like that with cracked skin. I then realised it was where tended to sweat. It also doesn’t look any sweet itch pattern.

It looks exactly like sweet itch to me, the broken skin, the damaged hair from rubbing, the one at my yard arrived with the same damage to his forehead, it was also around the ears but not further back as his then owner had kept him well covered so he had just been rubbing his face, whatever it is it should not have been missed or ignored by the vet, especially as the buyer was buying unseen.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Hadn't realised it was bought unseen. Buyer then has the right to return for any reason whatsoever within 14 days. So OP's friend has the right to return for full refund on 2 separate grounds - bought unseen and returning within 14 days and seller failed to dislcose a condition that must be disclosed prior to sale. So if she wants to send it back she has every right to do so.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hadn't realised it was bought unseen. Buyer then has the right to return for any reason whatsoever within 14 days. So OP's friend has the right to return for full refund on 2 separate grounds - bought unseen and returning within 14 days and seller failed to dislcose a condition that must be disclosed prior to sale. So if she wants to send it back she has every right to do so.

I'm repeating myself because my question hasn't been answered about whether the horse is from Northern Ireland or Ireland. Both are covered by European Distance Selling regulations which allow a return within 14 days on unseen goods to a business seller, but as Ireland is a different country it might prove much more difficult to pursue this and recover any money owed if it came from there.

And we don't know yet if it came from a dealer, the distance selling regs don't cover private sales.

Sending it back is not necessarily simple. A transporter is unlikely to be prepared to take the horse unless the other end has agreed to accept it.

Donna, what has the seller said about it?

be positive

Visit site

I only guessed it was, coming from Ireland and the OP being shocked when they saw the damage to the mane, they probably bought from video/photos taken a bit earlier before it rubbed, if it is from a dealers it puts the buyer in a strong position but they will still be out of pocket and the horse may be ideal in every other way so they may want to keep it, getting money back or a partial refund is never as easy as it should be:(

Ambers Echo

Visit site
getting money back or a partial refund is never as easy as it should be:(

I sometimes wish I had trained as a lawyer and could be an equine solicitor. The horse dealing world makes me so angry that I'd be passionatelyt committed to holding sellers accountable! It should be as easy as returning any other dodgy product but just isn't.

Hopefully OP likes the horse but should still get a hefty discount. SI reduces a horse's value considerably.