Purchasing 19 year old??

Amylaurenx

Visit site
All opinions welcome, looking at a 19 year old ‘low mileage’ warmblood, being sold by a reputable dealer, he suits what I want perfectly the only thing holding me off is that he is 19, would you buy a horse of this age? Also unsure on vetting, if to have one at all?
- I don’t expect to be taking him out showjumping or eventing or even competing really if I did it would just be local unaffiliated dressage (he is being sold as dressage/schoolmaster) thanks!!!

PurBee

Visit site
I would if truly low mileage and passes a vetting and the price reflects the age. Also if behaviourally is excellent.
The size/height would be my most consideration due to age. If very large/heavy - over 16hh and ‘big boned’ id worry more about longevity (joint health) than a smaller, lighter, slighter-built horse.

Potentially you could have another 8-10yrs , going by many comments in ‘oldies’ threads on here of late 20’s horses/ponies still rocking as if theyre teens.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
He sounds perfect for what you want. I now 22 17.2 competition dressage horse and he doesn’t look like he going to be stopping anytime soon.

Amylaurenx

Visit site
I would if truly low mileage and passes a vetting and the price reflects the age. Also if behaviourally is excellent.
The size/height would be my most consideration due to age. If very large/heavy - over 16hh and ‘big boned’ id worry more about longevity (joint health) than a smaller, lighter, slighter-built horse.

Potentially you could have another 8-10yrs , going by many comments in ‘oldies’ threads on here of late 20’s horses/ponies still rocking as if theyre teens.

Thank you! he is 17hh so joints could be a prob later on however from what I’ve seen doesn’t look to be too big boned looks quite sport horsey and hasn’t had issues with joints or anything yet.. he’s been described as very well behaved priced at 5.5k however I’d be offering 5 as he doesn’t come with any tack, I’m thinking he might at least have another 5 years if he’s as fit and good to go as they say

Amylaurenx

Visit site
He sounds perfect for what you want. I now 22 17.2 competition dressage horse and he doesn’t look like he going to be stopping anytime soon.

he does sound perfect, he’s also a 17hh dressage horse just wasn’t expecting to even look at one of this age but every thing else fits my needs?

I'm Dun

Visit site
not in a million years unless he was an incredibly high level school master who would take me to the next level. Big horses just dont stay sound, and yes I know some go on forever, but on the whole the bigger they are the more risk there is. I wouldnt expect a 17hh warmblood who has been used for dressage to still be going in his 20s. The law of averages says its not likely

Amylaurenx

Visit site
not in a million years unless he was an incredibly high level school master who would take me to the next level. Big horses just dont stay sound, and yes I know some go on forever, but on the whole the bigger they are the more risk there is. I wouldnt expect a 17hh warmblood who has been used for dressage to still be going in his 20s. The law of averages says its not likely

Thank you, he’s actually previously been a show jumper aswell which was another reason that made me wonder why he doesn’t do that anymore?

ihatework

Visit site
Whilst I would always support novice buyers not to discount late teenage years horses, a 17hh warmblood being sold through a dealer would sit uneasily with me. I’d want an older horse bought locally and privately.

At the bare minimum you should 5 stage this horse with a good independent vet and store blood

Amylaurenx

Visit site
Whilst I would always support novice buyers not to discount late teenage years horses, a 17hh warmblood being sold through a dealer would sit uneasily with me. I’d want an older horse bought locally and privately.

At the bare minimum you should 5 stage this horse with a good independent vet and store blood

It would be my first own horse I’ve just had full and a part loans up to now but feel like it’s time for my own hence not wanting to make a wrong decision and it put me off ever wanting my own again!! Ideally want one local but I live in a small town they’re hard to come by ☹️ Thanks for your advice

millikins

Visit site
Thank you, he’s actually previously been a show jumper aswell which was another reason that made me wonder why he doesn’t do that anymore?

That's not necessarily an issue, my neighbour has competed GP dressage and her new horse is an ex eventer. She just liked the horse, liked the breeding but has no intention of leaving the ground on her :)
Another consideration is that at 19, you are hopefully this horse's last owner, would you have the means to retire him when the time comes?

Amylaurenx

Visit site
That's not necessarily an issue, my neighbour has competed GP dressage and her new horse is an ex eventer. She just liked the horse, liked the breeding but has no intention of leaving the ground on her :)
Another consideration is that at 19, you are hopefully this horse's last owner, would you have the means to retire him when the time comes?

yeah I’d not be able to sell once I was attached even if they were just in the field !! This is the thing I’m not sure on I don’t want to spend 5.5k on a horse that will potentially need retiring in a year as I wouldn’t then be able to afford another one for riding while I know that could be the case with a 5 year old aswell if they was to gain certain issues but know the risk with an older horse is a lot higher

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If he's managed to stay truly sound at 19, he very well may stay sound. Or he could go wrong tomorrow, but that's true of any horse. He seems quite pricey at 5.5K, I wouldn't pay that for him*.

*I bought a seventeen year old 17.1hh Hannoverian , trained by Christine Stuckleberger (to Grand Prix) for £3,000 a few years ago and used him as a schoolmaster for 4 years, so I'm all for a useful oldie.

Amylaurenx

Visit site
If you know his passport name you can do some research on him. Is the dealer a very reputable one? Do you know why this horse ended up at a dealers yard?

£5.5k seems steep to me. But….. ??‍♀️

Also, if he’s been sold as a school master, how come he’s low mileage?

That was another thing I wondered as apparently he’s had a successful past in showjumping too so was unsure how low mileage he could really be, said dealer has reviews on reviews all positive so I think quite a good one, he’s already been reduced from 7 though think I will wait to see what else comes up more in age range ! Thank you

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I know not everyone will agree, but in my personal experience true schoolmasters tend to go by word of mouth or at least hold their value, not end up being sold by a dealer at 19yo.

My very experienced vet always says horses are most at risk of breaking down when moving home, as the change in management, rider, handling, workload etc. can have a detrimental effect. I’d imagine this is even more likely with a larger, older horse.

By all means go view them, but take an experienced friend and go in with your eyes open.

Last edited:

Winters100

Visit site
I am a fan of buying older horses as a good schoolmaster / mistress is worth their weight in gold. At 17h however I would be very nervous if I wanted a riding horse, and would have to be happy to retire them at any moment.

Amylaurenx

Visit site
I am a fan of buying older horses as a good schoolmaster / mistress is worth their weight in gold. At 17h however I would be very nervous if I wanted a riding horse, and would have to be happy to retire them at any moment.

Thank you, I think due to his size and age I’m going to pass and wait for something more suitable for me to come up!