Pure Horse feeds - experiences?

black_horse

Visit site
Hello fellow HHO'ers!
I am in a quandery... Dee is currently fed saracens re-leve, alfa A and alfabeet, she is in great condition but with the spring grass and increase in the nutritional value of the hay, shes a tad excitable. With a cereal intolerance and a history of gastric ulcers i try to keep her diet fibre based. Someone has recommended Pure Horse Feeds to me, specifically the Pure Working feed. Dee can be a poor doer and has a lot of nervous energy with an exciteable temperament, so i need to be able to feed her the calories without adding to her natural temperament.

Help! I swear it was never this hard to feed my six guinea pigs :D

romulus

Visit site
We have used Pure Feeds for the past 6 months on a variety of horses and ponies from Andulucians through to TBs getting ready for racing and point to pointing. I have been very impressed by the cleanliness and quality of the feed and how good all the horses are looking on it. I do think that you need to go 'down' a level on what you would normally feed as the nutritional value is high e.g my Friesian/Andulucian 4yo has been on ad lib hay and Pure balance and looks fantastic. I think that their helpline or email needs improving but dont let that put you off.

L&M

Visit site
I am also considering their feed too, as am fed up at how complicated the feed market has got.

On their website they have an option whereby they can devise a 'diet plan', and email you back with their recommendations. You also get 25% off your first order.

I was intersted to see that they actually recommended their 'easy' blend for my lad. He is in light/med work in the summer mnths and hunted weekly from autumn onwards, so was a little suprised they recommended the low energy option.

Am tempted to give them a go, and considering price includes delivery, feel that £14 per sack won't break the bank.

LouS

Visit site
I'm going to try mine on it when my current feed runs out.

My friend recommended it, she just feeds the Pure Working and absolutely raves about it, so I'm really hoping it works for me! I never know what to bloody feed, I just want things simple.

black_horse

Visit site
I had a diet plan emailed to me, was supprised at their choice of the working feed as dee has natural energy but i suppose dee needs the energy to help with the work regime. When dee was very thin she still had loads of energy!

It seems simpler, one bag of feed compared to the three she currently has. Her feed at the moment costs us £3.65 a day, whereas it would cost us £1.60 on the pure range.

Im very tempted. Anyone know if they will come out and look at the horse like baileys/saracens do?

Kat

Visit site
I've been using it for nearly two months now. My mare was eating vast quantities of feed and still struggling to keep weight on. She is looking fab on pure condition now, lovely coat, building muscle, weight stable, energy levels still sensible. Such a relief to just need one bag too, we had nuts, beet, chaff, calmer, oil etc before, and she is eating less than half the weight of feed too!

black_horse

Visit site
They have recommended 2kg of feed for dee, which is roughly two stubbs scoops a day (split across two feeds). It doesnt seem a lot and im worried its not enough.

They say a 500kg needs 2kg, but dee is 600kg. Does anyone used the pure balance?

guesstimation

Visit site
I feed it to my dartmoor but he has so little of it being a fatty that I add the balance too so he's getting what he needs, I've found it to be great. I first came across it with a laminitic mare I owned and I couldn't have asked for a better feed.

Only thing I would say is always dampen it down as Tigger did choke once luckily not badly but I've since discovered s couple of people who had this issue when fed totally dry

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
My 17.2 KWPN is on Pure Easy as is my growing KnabxAppy(she has never had anything else)
The KWPN was hard to keep weight on. I used simple systems for a while,but it involved carting more than my body weight in feed to the field(once soaked) So I moved to A&P calm and condition+Alfa oil+copra+speedibeat+balancer+linseed+global herbs muscle-up............and I still struggled to keep his weight through winter.
I have now been through 2 winters on Pure Feeds. This is now my second spring of cutting back feed and increasing exercise to prepare for the summer grass because he is looking a little too well!
Pure feeds are fabulous. Easy,economical and always a high standard.
Give them a call. I have found them very helpful and their nutritionist is very aware of the needs of stressy/ulcer prone horses.

black_horse

Visit site
sounds fab :) someone just told me apparently you can book them to come to your yard. Going to give them a call and speak to someone. The thing that put me off was the emailed diet plan was marketing the feed to me rather then telling me what my horse needed and suggesting suitable products.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have been very impressed with their feed and have all our horses on it. Most are on the Pure Easy, one is on the Pure working and one on the Pure stud. It smells lovely too.

It works out cheaper to buy it from efeed.co.uk if you order 20 or more sacks altogether.

rara007

Visit site
I've just moved mine from Baileys lo-cal to 2.5kg (gradually) of pure condition- so in theory he should be bouncing off the walls- but he's positively calmer and better behaved...

Hutchlou

Visit site
I've been using Pure Fibre Balance for about 6 weeks & Orla has lost fat & built muscle & has so much more energy. She was on Safe & Sound, Spillers Balancer & Alfalfa. She needs 800g a day split over 2 feeds. Takes her ages to eat (though she loves it) & she doesn't seem to be as greedy for hay/grass as she was before. I think she was probably hungry & the Fibre Balance works a bit like a big bowl of porridge would for us!! Very happy pony & owner! :)

scrunchie

Visit site
I've been using Pure Condition throughout the winter and I'm very happy with it. My horses have done well on it especially Dooney who is a poor doer. I also love the fact that they deliver.

I haven't needed to email or use the helpline - apparently this is where the company is not so good.

nagseastsussex

Visit site
I have using this feed since last October. My daughters mare initially loved it and looked great on it. I was very impressed it was delivered within three days and looked very palatable and it smelt lovely. However, in the last couple of weeks she had decided she isnt going to eat it any more so as I purchased in bulk I now have two unopen bags of working mix and and one open bag which has had one scoop out of it and three bags of unopened cool mix, i suspect it is just her being mareish and fussy. I would certainly order it again. My friend who owns a yard had the company rep come out and she bought a weigh bridge with her and weighed all the horses on the yard for free!

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
My 17.1 is on it and has been for around 6-7 months now! I have Basil on the Pure Racing. His condition looks fabulous. It has improved his energy levels from his last feed also and kept him going through having a virus too!
I have converted a couple of friend to it now too and they love it for their horses also (Pure Working and Pure Fibre)

Total thumbs up from me tbh!

I dont feed the full 3kg suggested for my horse, he gets around 2kg a day though! He always finishes his feed and it smells and looks so clean (non sticky/mollasses)

And the shine it gives for coats is amazing!

Ilovefoals

Visit site
I changed D onto it last april when she was diagnosed with ulcers. She was quite underweight then so started her on the Pure Condition and rang the feed line for advice. She began on 3 scoops a day over 3 feeds which I was able to reduce to 2 scoops after just 4 weeks. She's now on the Pure working at 2 scoops a day and she looks amazing. The other 2 are on Pure Easy as they are doing much less work and they look great on that too. Definitely a feed I'll be sticking with. Bonus is the feed store 5 mins from me stocks it :)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Really didnt work for either of our TB's :(

on reccomended levels (pure condition), fig dropped weight/lustre and it played havoc with CS ulcers, literally had him in so much pain he was trying to get down and roll with me on, was backing himself in to the fence, just refusing to move really.He also dropped condition.

they are back on winergy condition and linseed and both back to normal, within 2 feeds of being back on winergy CS was back to normal self, nothing else changed so could only be the feed.

ETA-it also bought CS in a scabby lumpy rash which again disappeared as soon as he came off it, so im guessing he's either allergic to an ingredient, or just that it doesnt suit him in a very extreme way, but i would be careful if your horse has ulcers or is prone to skin flare ups.

SpottedCat

Visit site
My TB horse - who has had grade 4 glandular and splash ulcers - has been on Pure Easy for over a year now. I am another who doesn't need to feed full rations, and he's eventing so working reasonably hard. He looks amazing, coat is brilliant, has perfect amount of energy, it's cheaper and more convenient than what I was feeding before, and he loves it. It certainly hasn't caused any effect on his stomach in terms of the ulcers, and TBH the ingredients are perfect for horses which have had ulcers because it contains the straw to buffer against splash ulcers, alfalfa which helps the stomach pH etc. I really rate it, think it is great stuff. I don't think 2kg is a small amount - according to them mine should be on 2kg of Pure Easy but he's eventing fine on 1kg (split between 2 feeds) of it.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Unfortunately I'm in the ' it didn't work for me' camp although on the plus side their customer service is excellent and the food does look very 'clean'.

I've made 2 attempts at using it on 2 different horses with about a 6 month gap inbetween and both times I've ended up throwing some away.

My TB eats it for a few days & then simply refuses it, I've tried her on Working, Condition & Fibre Balance with the same results every time.

The other is a eat anything cob who will eat it but definitely with less gusto than she eats anything else. As she has come out of winter looking a little too healthy I recently tried her on Fibre Balance, and although she would eat it she much preferred it if I mixed it with TopChop Lite. However she definitely lost 'bloom' on it, she became much less shiny than previously and has also become a bit scurfy which is unusual. Since putting her back onto reduced levels of Winergy Medium she is starting to look much better again - and is almost drooling into the bowl she's so happy to be back on it :D

kezimac

Visit site
mine looks fantastic on pure working in fact too well and is being cut down. She is 7/8ths TB - stressy sort and not a good do-er - on the pure she is less stressy and is now overweight!

Langley

Visit site
Tom has been on pure feed condition for 2 weeks now he is looking much much better, I would give them a big thumbs up. Anna is very helpful from the company

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I'm a feed merchant. We found that initially it was very hard to get into stock, PF were blaming the wholesaler and vice versa, and understandably that annoyed a lot of customers. We now only have one customer who occasionally orders it.

One thing you do need to know is that the bags are not the standard 20Kg, I can't remember the weight but they're definitely smaller!

sonjafoers

Visit site
From memory I think the odd product does come in a 20kg bag but the majority of them are 15kg. Winergy Equilibrium also comes in 15kg bags though.

I would mention my stockist sells the Pure Balance for £7 per bag cheaper than ordering it direct from Pure Feeds :eek: That's quite a difference IMO, however getting what I wanted from my stockist proved difficult to say the least.

I've spoken to the friend tonight that put me onto Pure Feeds in the first place and she has also tried to return to Pure Easy after a few months break and her horse isn't eating it. Glad it's not just my fussy buggers :)

black_horse

Visit site
I think i read somewhere they are 15kg, lasting around two weeks.

I am always nervous when it comes to changing horse feeds, and i must say i have looked at winergys ranges aswell, but it is difficult for me to get ahold of easily. Luckily (for me!) feed if built into the cost of my livery and the yard is trialing the horse feed. Im going down the yard (health willing) on saturday and will have a proper look at it. Dee is fussy, so i might have to mix some mint into it. She picks at everything and is a slow eater.

sonjafoers

Visit site
black_horse my cob much preferred it when I mixed it with TopChop Lite which really is quite minty, so if she's fussy the mint might be an option.

I had to give up in the end though, I got a bit fed up with my TB redecorating her stable with it :rolleyes:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't understand all these horses not eating it, it smells lush! The nicest smelling feed I have ever smelt. All eight of the horses here love it! I have had no problems getting it quickly and cheaply from efeed.co.uk.

Venevidivici

Visit site
I spoke to Anna at PF this week. I can confirm that:the bags are 15kg,one bag fed at their rates to average 500kg horse will last 1 week (except the fibre balance,which should last 2wks) and there is NO alfalfa in ANY of their products.