Pure ID for affil showjumping? Yay or nay?

catembi

Visit site
I am now in the market (doctorate-finishing present to myself!) for something sensible that would jump Fox (no higher) & was wondering about an ID. I had an ID mare to get over a completely insane TB, & she was very, very sensible, but built like a tank, 17.1 & too heavy to jump over about 1.10. My horse of a lifetime, the late Catembi, was by Cruising, 17hh & 690kg but was ISH rather than pure ID. He had a *huge* jump, but was also extremely sharp, & I'm now of an age where I cba with too much drama.

So would a pure ID work for me? I want to jump Fox but I also want to be able to hack out alone and enjoy it, box to lessons & shows by myself etc & just have a great time without being interspersed with near death experiences!

EventingMum

Visit site
There are always exceptions to rules but in general, I wouldn't think a pure ID would fit your bill. I have known some lovely ones but in all honesty, their limit was around 1.10m max and were probably more comfortable at the 1m mark, they also weren't that manoeverable for twisty jump offs. I would say an ISH will some ID in it would suit you.

Abi90

Visit site
I thought there were quite a few ID Grade A showjumpers? They probably wouldn’t have the speed for eventing but can definitely jump

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
I used to full loan an pure ID that was affiliated bs and he took me up to 1.20 competing, with his size I probably wouldn't have gone much higher but he was an awesome horse to learn on and really showed me the ropes.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My Rebelara mare was ISH but not at all sharp. She could jump well. Amber is ISH and is not sharp either but is extremely forward as very keen. I would not describe her as a relaxing ride! But like anything, it's the individual horse not the breed. I am sure you could find sane ISH or RID horses with the scope you want.

AFB

Visit site
I'm certain you'd be fine with the height, but would you be nimble enough in a jump off? I suppose it depends on how competitive you want to be.

Abi90

Visit site
And most modern IDs have TB in there somewhere. Clover Hill and King of Diamonds had TB in them

catembi

Visit site
Is JanetGeorge still on here? I just came across her website which had a couple of nice 4 yo on it, but then when I tried to PM her on here, her name didn't come up?

stormox

Visit site
And most modern IDs have TB in there somewhere. Clover Hill and King of Diamonds had TB in them

Clover Hill was half TB being by the TB Golden Beaker and King of Diamonds dam was half TB. It is also rumoured that Cruisings sire was actually half connemara! One of the more athletic types of ID would certainly jump Foxhunter/1.20 but any bigger than that I think they may struggle to get the width on big oxers. They dont have the scope of todays purpose bred showjumpers, but you would certainly have a lot of fun.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Just have a look at the pedigrees of the vast majority of horses jumping, and particularly those jumping here in Ireland. You'd have to look very long and very hard to find any that were pure Irish Draught.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Is JanetGeorge still on here? I just came across her website which had a couple of nice 4 yo on it, but then when I tried to PM her on here, her name didn't come up?

I don't think so, facebook is probably the best place to get hold of her :)

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
I know of a super ISH, sweet as a nut and already jumping Fox. Those lovely straightforward amateur horses can be not so easy to find.

Annagain

Visit site
A friend had a 7/8ths ID (but very hard to spot the 1/8 TB!) that evented to Intermediate Novice. He struggled to make the time XC but flew the SJ, usually with a foot to spare - hence struggling for time XC. The fact that he was too careful was as much to blame for the time as his genetics.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Just have a look at the pedigrees of the vast majority of horses jumping, and particularly those jumping here in Ireland. You'd have to look very long and very hard to find any that were pure Irish Draught.

This, but if you look for an ISH with the right ID blood in the mix, they come up a bit lighter and nippier. My Sir Rivie mare and a Seacrest gelding were more eventing type draughts and if I could find another with Sir Rivie in the pedigree I'd snap it up. Talented, athletic, and nice personalities.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Very very few RID have that sort of scope and those that do will cost a lot of money .
Much better go for a ISH or a warmblood .

Nari

Visit site
Like any other breed some could & some couldn't, it's finding the right one. Even some of the heavier IDs can be extremely athletic, don't let the bulk deceive you. Likewise don't assume that all IDs will be a calm sensible hack, some are and some are anything but.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If you want an id buy an Id if you want a horse to jump buy a horse that jumps - in not sure why people do this - buy I horse not really suited to the job they want it to do... ?? And then get upset when it can’t do it

Tangaroo

Visit site
Im looking for an ID at the moment and I think it would be easier to find rocking horse poo! I only want to jump up to 90cm hence why an ID would suit, I just cant find one

Mule

Visit site
Seacrest, Cruising's sire was a full ID and a grade A showjumper. They definitely exist.

Thoroughbred blood was added to the ID about a century ago to improve the breed after Clyde blood was introduced for agricultural work. I suppose the tb blood is more obvious in the lighter built ID's.

I think the important thing would be to choose for temperament rather than breed. I'd say you're more likely to get a suitable ISH just because there are a lot more of them bred compared to ID's.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If you want an id buy an Id if you want a horse to jump buy a horse that jumps - in not sure why people do this - buy I horse not really suited to the job they want it to do... ?? And then get upset when it can’t do it

Very wise words ^^^^

sport horse

Visit site
Am I wrong in believing that an ISH is any sport horse bred in Ireland?

So in fact it could be all european warmblood rather than ID x TB?

Mind you what is an ID x TB except a warmblood? ie a cross between cold blood (draught type horse) and hot blood (TB/Arab)

Off out to do horses now having lit touch paper!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Am I wrong in believing that an ISH is any sport horse bred in Ireland?

So in fact it could be all european warmblood rather than ID x TB?

Mind you what is an ID x TB except a warmblood? ie a cross between cold blood (draught type horse) and hot blood (TB/Arab)

Off out to do horses now having lit touch paper!!!

Nothing on fire here: an ISH is any horse registered and bred in Ireland with a registered & approved sire from any recognised European studbook. An ISH could in theory be a full WB. Irish Draughts are really quite mixed and are indeed "warmblooded" horses using the criterion of being a mixture of hot blood (TB) and cold blood (draught) - and there has been TB blood used a great deal more recently than 100 years ago. Both King of Diamonds and Clover Hill, two of the most famous registered "Irish Draught" stallions in recent breeding history, had significant percentages of TB blood. Pre DNA testing there was a pervasive trait of sneaking in all sorts of "improvements" without mentioning the fact (also true of Connemara ponies, although they are less mucked about).