Purple hoof

Oaksflight

Visit site
Had the farrier out today for a trim and just fronts on. He noticed horses's feet were purple (as he was cleaning out the soles). It's mainly the soles and frog. Frog isn't soft or anything, don't think it's bruising. Farrier is very good and he didn't think bruising either. Anyway, here's a photo:

halhoof.jpg

See the purple on the sole? Any ideas? I think maybe urine staining as it tends to end up near the door where he stands and hes on rubber matting with no bedding, going to start putting megazorb down to soak up wee though. Just want to check it's nothing else before!

Thanks x

clipertyplop

Visit site
how weird????? looking at it i would say bruising .....but if you and blacksmith recon not......it could be stain from urine like you say or perhaps if you use a dissinfectant.....or perhaps its a deficency (SP) ......like when we get white bits on our finger nails.....good luck with it hope you find out
confused.gif

annie02

Visit site
I dont know why urine would turn his foot purple. When your farrier was there did he try and shave a bit of it off....what I mean is it on the surface and you can scrap it off or is it deeper into the sole?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Yeah it does, would make sense as he was a bit foot sore when he got his shoes taken off for the first few weeks. Just very shocked that he didn't realise it was bruising, as as I say, he's a very good farrier. I shall have to tell him off! Thanks.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo used to get something that looked similar to this on his soles and on the outside of the hoof. He has poor circulation due to all the chemo he had for cancer and if left in standing for long periods, would suffer from hemorraging in his feet.

Has hardly had this since we moved him to a new yard with more turnout and I haven't seen any of this on his feet for about 18 months since he had his shoes off for most of the year, and always in the winter.

He was not lame with it - just purple streaks seen on the hoof and sole.