Purpura hemorrhagica (Strangles complication) - RECOVERY TIME

vicm2509

Visit site
I know I posted about this last week, but I am just curious as to how long the recovery period usually is? That is of course if he does recover.

Speaking to vet last night who has put him on another 6 days steroids & antibiotics. He said deciding when to take him off the medication is the hard part.

I know I am being impatient but I just want to know if hes going to be ok, and until he is taken off the medication I wont know. Its tearing me apart - some days I look at him and think hes fine, the others I just sit in his stable and cry imagining what it would be like if I lost him
frown.gif

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
You poor thing ,it is everyones worst nightmare, your vet sounds hopeful and he will be the best to advise you but I know they are guarded.
Healing vibes on their way

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Come on, chin up. I really do feel for you and it's a lonely job waiting for them to get better. The vet shouldn't mind you asking for information, even if you do feel like you have thought of a new question every five minutes over the last few weeks.

I have no practical experience of this secondary complication, although my particular one has a guarded prognosis and my ancient pony is here two years after I was told she wouldn't be for much longer. I have walked your path and it nearly did me in. Happily we escaped and my most serious hopes are that Baron also makes a speedy and full recovery.
smile.gif

Keep us all posted and my thoughts are with you both x

Jemayni

Visit site
Aw, I wondered how you guys were getting on... I dont think there is a realistic time estimate for how long recovery is going to take as it down to the individual! Mine has been on and off antibiotics for a good 2 and a half months & is hoping to come off them completely at the three month marker! Im not sure whether this is relevant with PH, but with mine we have used blood tests as a monitor for when he can come off antibiotics. He has had a blood test every week in the last two cycles of antibitoics & for the first time they were clear last week, hence why we have decided he can come off antibiotics soon... Perhaps you could do a similar thing with yours?

Either way there is no need to despair, even if the infection does return, it doesnt mean the end; it is just yet a further hurdle in the road to recovery, vets have a multitude of tricks up their sleeves and you have a lot left to try, IF the first course of treatment hasnt worked!

NB: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/sh...rue#Post2949087 One of my posts about recovery from a few weeks ago, before we were aware of the fact it has become bastard strangles....

Goneriding13

New User
Visit site
Hi there, our yard was hit by strangles between Christmas and New Year and most horses were affected. One of the horses at the yard was very seriously affected by it - 2 abscesses and then developed this complication when she seemed to be recovering (about a month after the initial signs). She was poorly for about 3 1/2 months in total and about 4 or 5 weeks ago she came back into gentle work and is now getting back into harder work (i.e. schooling and jumping). She was on a pretty high dose of steriods to start with, then they kept reducing it every week and checked her response.

I feel for anyone going through it as I was in tears when I saw how poorly she was and she isn't even mine!

Best wishes to you both, I hope your guy makes a speedy recovery!

Tiffany

Visit site
I really feel for you. Your vet is probably being guarded in order to protect himself but years ago when my TB mare had it she was really ill, more than any other horse on the yard. However, she was the last to get it and she did make a full recovery
smile.gif
although like you, I was distraught while she was going through it.
frown.gif

(((((healing vibes)))))