Pushy Youngster

Kezalco6920

Visit site
Yes that’s exactly what happened when I posted. Cold, wet, overwhelmed daughter + stressed, worried Mother = doom & gloom ?

actually if you could all see this young horse of ours you’d probably think she was quiet as a little lamb ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If it helps, I used to train big, 4yo Police Horses, and every time I started with a new one, it was exhausting!

They would usually come in not good to lead, load, stand, pick feet, clip legs, mount etc etc. They would not be at peace on the inside. I would have to be so motivated and firm to stand my space and stay quiet myself, whilst being so persistent. I would have to take care of the smallest details of what they were doing.

My advice is to do just that, slow right down and take care of the smallest details. Such as with bridling, it is no longer about getting the bridle on, it is about the quality of how they handle their heads around you. It is about getting the yielding in their minds. I could spend an hour bridling at first, but I would not want the bridle on until it had a nice feel about it.

Back. That is also your friend. It is no longer about leading them from A to B, it is about, again, their mental feel whilst they are with you. I found a few steps at a time is initially all they can manage before you halt, and if you do too many steps, the attention, balance and feel is lost and you have to back them up to get it back. But then, it isn't about the fact that they are backing up, it is also then about the feel you have of the backing. Exhausting. Again, I have spent ages crossing the yard before, as I didn't want to do it unless it had a good feel.

The mental focus and discipline is exhausting, especially when juggling other needs. It means re-adjusting your goals in the short term. However, it is surprising how quickly they improve when done like this. People used to say they didn't know how I could do things so slowly. But then, after a week, mine were standing, leading, picking, bridling, mounting etc, and they had achieved their tasks quicker (much quicker) but still having issues months down the line.

It is a discipline.

Exhausting!

I am interested to know how it goes with your lesson. I know that, when I taught privately, often a first lesson would be on leading a horse, or even holding one. Minute pressure/release with body language and increasing/decreasing energy. I have done a full hour's lesson in just that. I have found that to be more beneficial than doing a ridden lesson then bolting on a bit of ground handling each end. The ground handling is the start point. Teaching the horse/rider how much attention the other has for them. Or not. And how to get the attention.

Kezalco6920

Visit site
I really like this advice, I completely agree that all the ground work needs to be in place and that’s what we’re working on. The instructor has been out twice so far for lessons but my daughter hasn’t ridden yet. We are going back to basics as that’s what we’d asked for with the instructor as we thought that’s best for both my daughter and a young horse. The horse is broken, she’s done some schooling and hacking out before we got her but I think it’s more important to do things right from the beginning. The riding can be picked up when we’re happy with everything else and she’s matured a bit. I’m sure lots of people would of just started riding her but we just wanted to get things right and not risk spoiling her so what we’ve done in terms of riding is very minimal. After all she’s just 4, she’s got potentially 20 years of being ridden ahead of her so I can’t see that there is a big rush. My daughter, although she’s young, she’s sensible and sensitive, she likes to get a bond with her horses so we are taking things slowly with her as I think it’ll pay dividends in the long run.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Clodagh

Visit site
It sounds like you are all set up to succeed.
If she is on restricted grazing and limited forage she will be hungry, which makes us all bolshy. I would reiterate giving a small feed before turn out and make sure she always has something in her gut 24/7. Horses constantly produce acid, not only when they eat like us.

paddi22

Visit site
If she is on restricted grazing and limited forage she will be hungry, which makes us all bolshy. I would reiterate giving a small feed before turn out and make sure she always has something in her gut 24/7. Horses constantly produce acid, not only when they eat like us.

100% this. I'd make sure she always has access to some fibre.

Kezalco6920

Visit site
Awww thank you. We’ve increased her grazing a little which has helped a lot. She’s no where near as pushy as she was on the day I posted and we also had a really good lunging session tonight, she listened, transitions were really good too so all is well (for today anyway ?)

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I'd pick up a copy of Kelly Marks Perfect Manners as well as the other good recommendations.

Absolutely second a small fibre feed or some forage before doing anything, especially anything around good grass, if your restricting grazing. A hangry horse makes everything harder, especially when your still getting to know each other.

Elno

Visit site
If it helps, I used to train big, 4yo Police Horses, and every time I started with a new one, it was exhausting!

They would usually come in not good to lead, load, stand, pick feet, clip legs, mount etc etc. They would not be at peace on the inside. I would have to be so motivated and firm to stand my space and stay quiet myself, whilst being so persistent. I would have to take care of the smallest details of what they were doing.

My advice is to do just that, slow right down and take care of the smallest details. Such as with bridling, it is no longer about getting the bridle on, it is about the quality of how they handle their heads around you. It is about getting the yielding in their minds. I could spend an hour bridling at first, but I would not want the bridle on until it had a nice feel about it.

Back. That is also your friend. It is no longer about leading them from A to B, it is about, again, their mental feel whilst they are with you. I found a few steps at a time is initially all they can manage before you halt, and if you do too many steps, the attention, balance and feel is lost and you have to back them up to get it back. But then, it isn't about the fact that they are backing up, it is also then about the feel you have of the backing. Exhausting. Again, I have spent ages crossing the yard before, as I didn't want to do it unless it had a good feel.

The mental focus and discipline is exhausting, especially when juggling other needs. It means re-adjusting your goals in the short term. However, it is surprising how quickly they improve when done like this. People used to say they didn't know how I could do things so slowly. But then, after a week, mine were standing, leading, picking, bridling, mounting etc, and they had achieved their tasks quicker (much quicker) but still having issues months down the line.

It is a discipline.

Exhausting!

I am interested to know how it goes with your lesson. I know that, when I taught privately, often a first lesson would be on leading a horse, or even holding one. Minute pressure/release with body language and increasing/decreasing energy. I have done a full hour's lesson in just that. I have found that to be more beneficial than doing a ridden lesson then bolting on a bit of ground handling each end. The ground handling is the start point. Teaching the horse/rider how much attention the other has for them. Or not. And how to get the attention.

You worded so eloquently and managed to capture the essence of the feeling of how it is to have a youngster. Exhausting! But also so rewarding when they finally learn ?

Kezalco6920

Visit site
I'd pick up a copy of Kelly Marks Perfect Manners as well as the other good recommendations.

Absolutely second a small fibre feed or some forage before doing anything, especially anything around good grass, if your restricting grazing. A hangry horse makes everything harder, especially when your still getting to know each other.
Thank you. I think we will introduce that to make our lives easier. She must of been particularly hungry on the day that we had the issues. But yesterday we’d given her more grass, we’re slowly strip grazing her across the paddock before we open it all up again, and she was great again. The other day was just a bad day but we’re still working on her manners regardless. Happy owner, happy mother again ?
Thank you for your reply

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
100% recommend getting “back up” in place. My youngster was a bit like an over-exuberant Labrador puppy to lead - absolutely no concept of personal space. Getting her to take a few steps back just focusses her. She will now stop, back up on voice command and expect a pat.

It’s like my ‘half-halt’ in walking in hand - just a step or two to focus, readjust, balance, stop rushing.