Puss cat update

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Unfortunately, it’s the worst possible diagnosis, lung cancer. Apparently this is really unusual in dogs. We are devastated. Zak is my OH’s dog and his last dog, big dog’s brother, was pts almost exactly 11 years ago due to cancer.

All kudos to the RVC, who had him for the morning and got a diagnosis, offered us options and got him ready to come home.

The surgical option involves cracking open his sternum to remove the mass. The recovery is ‘months’ and he’d be struggling, uncomfortable and the sternum might not heal, then the cancer might have returned. We’re not putting him through that. Option 2 is chemo (tablets, apparently dogs react better than humans to it) and palliative care. The very little blood he’s coughing up is bright red, meaning he’s oxygenating his lungs properly. The timing we’ve been given is a year.

If we think he’s suffering, it’s a no brainer, straight to the vet. Meanwhile, he galloped round the garden chasing visiting kids last night, eating everything he could find then forced himself between me and my friend for cuddles.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’m so sorry to read this, I can understand your devastation. I too wish you many months with your beautiful boy ???

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I’m so sorry CT, I was hoping for better news for you . I lost a 4 year old GSD bitch to lung cancer in the 70s. . No treatment options then . I hope you are able to keep him comfortable for a good long time .

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry the see your news. I know that you will put his quality of life over the quantity and make the right decision for him at the right time. It's good that he is playing normally now, long may that last.

P3LH

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. We lost our old terrier bitch to this aged 10.5 back in 2014, it’s a horrible situation.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
So sorry hear the update. I'm praying for a miracle for you. I brought my elderly cat home to be spoilt (vet's words) 'in the interim between massive ascites (which subsequently worsened and is the indicator for a serious underlying and quickly progressive deterioration) and the time to let her go, only for it to disappear completely and my cat return to normal. Clearly something wasn't and probably still isn't right, but I will not be making Herculean efforts to save her, just keep her comfy. For now, the borrowed time is very good.

Last edited:

gunnergundog

Visit site
Quit when they're ahead is what I say.

Dogs don't have to endure pain/distress at the end.....we have the option of making that choice for them, hard though it may be. Sadly, we don't (yet) have the same choice for ourselves in this country.

Courage!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Rather than a ‘mass,’ the most forward lobe of his left lung has been infiltrated by an adeno carcinoma, leaving no space for air to get through. This is pushing his heart to one side. His lymph nodes are also enlarged which is also displacing his heart. The vet doesn’t think he’s in pain. Of the 2 medications suggested, we’ve chosen Palladia. (Technical, it’s an inhibitor for an enzyme that directs cell proliferation) The reviews are very positive.

Puss cat seems fine, ran round this morning and has had steak for tea. He’ll have another scan in a few weeks. Bar an occasional cough, he seems fine. We are keeping a very close eye on all aspects of behaviour.

deb_l222

Visit site
Oh noooooo, what a nightmare for you. For what my opinion is worth, I think you're doing the right thing not going down the surgical route - I don't think it would buy you a massive amount of extra time.

He will let you know when the time is right to say goodbye and it will be horrendous but you will know you have done everything you can to support him.

Take care xx

Moobli

Visit site
So sorry to read this heartbreaking news CT :( I hope you have time to make plenty more memories with the lovely Zak before his time comes.