Put your hands up if you made it out of winter with NO MUD FEVER :D

Mlini

Visit site
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

A lady at my yard once told me... 'Your horse won't get mud fever here, there is no mud fever in the soil here' :rolleyes::D:D LOL

Theresa_F

Visit site
None for our two but Stinky never has had it in the 7 years I have had him, and neither has Farra for the 4 years we have had her.

I leave the legs natural, cover in pig oil and sulphur every other week and never wash out in winter unless showing.

For them the hair and oil keeps the under hair and skin clean and dry.

Dave282B

Visit site
Hands up here but they live in and if it's too muddy or god forbid raining they don't go out.
People need to realise that horses are not out door animals :)
Oh they get turned out for a play in the indoor school before you ask

AdorableAlice

Visit site
No mud fever for me either. But the driest winter for many years has helped, we have not had any mud other than for a few days after a bit of snow in February.

Most of the winter you could have walked over the land in slippers it's so dry.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Oh I wish!

Pony had it worse than ever this year - it seems that clipping his feathers off has made it worse and for the first time in 4 years I've had to get the vet out to have a look.

I've used oil & sulphur, vasaline, sudocreme, hoof to heal, neem oil, frontline spray (we think he also has mites), castor oil & zinc & udder grease and although there are only a few tiny patches of mid fever they are a lot redder and more painful looking than anything he's had before.

Luckily he's in a less muddy field now (he insists on standing in the muddiest part of any field) and vet has prescribed their own mud fever cream which has a steroid and anti inflammatory in it so fingers crossed that clears the rest of it.

Well done to everyone who managed to avoid it!

galaxy

Visit site
No chance of mud fever at ours! I can't remember the last time my gril came in with mud over her hooves!!! So no chance of mud fever! :) :)

texel

Visit site
I put my hands up - my troop haven't had mud fever in the 12 years I have owned them. They live ouot and have coped with everything nature has thrown at them and I am talking about some very wet muddy conditions.

I don't hose their feet either, especially during the winter - ok they may look mucky and untidy down there but that is better then mud fever.

madeleine1

Visit site
hands up. i didnt clip or brush round her feet all winter just run my fingers through the mud to check it was all ok in there. i figured mother nature designed horses to cope and anything i did would make it more likely for bad things to happen.

Pedantic

Visit site
Hands up.

I coat his heels liberally with pig oil and sulpher every weekend as a preventative, also wipe him all over at the same time particularly his legs, gives him a nice shine, he also gets khossailien bloods salts in his feed.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
*hands up waving happily* - despite them being turned out daily into almost knee deep mud in places! Pig oil is my friend :D

amandap

Visit site
hurray.gif

None all winter! :)

LaurenB

Visit site
Made the mistake of clipping legs :( then wearing over reach boots for hunting and now he has a small amount of mud fever which has got infected, first time he's ever had it though!!

ausipaliboi

Visit site
Summer is my mud fever time and unfortunently my boy has got it again :mad:

I jumped on it with betadine as soon as I saw the first mark. However, in the past 2 weeks we have had in excess of 600ml of rain with the sun only coming out for the first time yesterday :(

smokey

Visit site
hands up. i didnt clip or brush round her feet all winter just run my fingers through the mud to check it was all ok in there. i figured mother nature designed horses to cope and anything i did would make it more likely for bad things to happen.

woop! a woman after my own heart, sometimes you cant improve on nature, and shouldnt try! I found my horses legs were dry under all the mass of feather and mud, even on the wettest most disgusting days.

T's mum

Visit site
this is the third year the yard hasn't had any mud fever - ever since the freezing snowy conditions - seems to have killed off the bacteria in the mud that causes this :)