Putting a horse down for dangerous behavior.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
You are welcome. I see Applecart has not edited her post. Glad she has seen the error of her ways, even if there is no apology, ad I hope it was a simple error.

I do think this is one of the hardest 'costs' of having our horses, and I am amazed when someone criticises someone making the brave decision to do the right thing.

I would take mollylittle a little more seriously if she were to actually offer a home for Babe's horse, easy to be an armchair critic.

ETA - not that I would take mollylittle up on it, as I think you re doing the tight thing.

I would like to believe that it was and that no malice was intended.

The way I saw it was that there were far worse fates awaiting my lad than to go out with a big hug and a bucket full of his favourite foods. There are so many great horses out there that are of both sound mind and body, why would anyone else, not that I did not love and cherish Teddy dearly, want that horse. And if they do, you have to question their intentions. I loved Teddy with all my heart, as I am sure skybabe does her mare, but skybabe's horse is 17.2 and Teddy was 16.2, who really would want a horse like that as a companion? I owe Teddy everything and he meant (and still means) more to me than anything else in the world, and that is why I made that decision, I think any other decision would have been selfish on my part.

Could not agree more with that last statement, it is so easy to criticise someone else from the comfort of your home and to not give regards to that persons feelings.

I know I did the right thing and I am sure skybabe will make the right decision by her mare when the time comes. x

maisie06

Visit site
Hi guys,

In a bit of a state here. As some of you may know, I have been having trouble with Teddy, my 5 year old, for almost two years now.

Long story short, we have recently moved yards as our previous YO thought Teddy was dangerous and a liability. We have now had a few more incidents at the new yard, not even been there a week yet, and new YO has said he is a 'safety risk' and has given us a warning. So far he has not hurt himself or anyone around him seriously, but it is waiting to happen.

He has become increasingly aggressive, biting, kicking, pinning me against walls, running at me in the field. He also bolts away from me when I am leading him (this is our main issue) and will quite often bowl me over on his way. In short he has become dangerous. Unfortunately it has taken me nearly two years to come to terms with the fact that it may be safer (for him and people around him) to have him PTS.

It have taken us four years just to get him safe enough to have his feet done. We have Jim Goddard out frequently and he has been amazing, sadly he agrees that we should at least look into re-homing Teddy to a charity.

He has got both hind gut and stomach ulcers, so chances of him ever making a ridden horse are slim, considering he can barely tolerate a saddle any more. He is also displaying more riggish behavior every day, unfortunately we don't have the money to get him tested.

Just looking for a bit of reassurance really and also would like to know if we need any kind of proof from a vet or something before we can get him PTS?

We were going to get Harry Hawkins out, does he still do PTS?

I am also think it would be better to get him shot as he is only 5?

Thank you so very much for any advice, sorry if it doesn't make sense, I am absolutely beside myself.

Harry still does the deed....He did mine last year, the guy he sent was professional, calm and a real horseman, I wouldn't have a vet do it now. No proof from a vet required - I just rang and arranged "dispatch and disposal" and paid CC over the phone so all was done before the day.

I think you are doing the right thing by going down the PTS route, dumping him on a charity is not the answer and I'm sure deep down that you already know this.

Last edited:

Shantara

Visit site
I'm so so sorry EE :(
That must be the worst feeling. It's at times like these when you wish you could ask what's wrong and how to fix it :( I think you did 100% the right thing.
I used to be so against PTS for dangerous or problem horses, but having read up on the subject and seen a couple of dangerous horses first hand, I have to say my mind has been changed. I read some of this thread this morning and I've had you in my thoughts all day.

I really hope things get a little easier with time *hugs*