Putting certain items on 'for the look'

flump

Visit site
Just wondering really, there is no harm in things like bandages etc and matchy and bling if you are not harming anyone even if your horse doesn't need them? What are your views on this?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
There can be harm in bandages, especially when poorly applied! But tbh if someone wants to spend time and money on bits and bobs for their horse why should it bother me?

Elsiecat

Visit site
I love wearing matching leg warmers to either the numnah or excersize sheet (sometimes both!!!).
Why would it harm anyone?
We wear lots of things strictly for looks.
My horse, my money, my rules :)

Patterdale

Visit site
Honestly? Much as i try not to judge others, I think it looks really amateur and tacky. Fair dos if your horse needs stuff but you can tell when it's just wearing every fashionable gadget for the 'look.'

If it makes people happy then fine, and I'd never say it to anyone's face as its totally their choice, but my honest opinion is that it looks bad

I also have a bugbear about names on saddlecloths and jackets, but that's just me! :)

Bambi.

Visit site
I don't mind people wearing matchy matchy things, although sometimes its overdone! But I know someone who has their horse in a grackle noseband because she likes the look of them even though her horse is the last horse on earth to need one!! :mad:

Elsiecat

Visit site
Don't back track patterdale. You speak hate. I'm glad I chose to exclude you at random on the derby house meet up thread! Good day.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Yes. I also know youre rileyboy!!!!! I also suspect your pony is currently lay down in its stable due to being a boy and owning a pink (not blue) bridle. I'm on to you.

maree t

Visit site
Oh dear, my kids have their ponies names on their numnahs. My daughter has a jacket with hers and her beloved ponys name on . They dont use boots of bandages as they dont need them but we do put a running martingale on one of the ponies because it helps balance him up to the eye. He has quite a heavy shoulder.
We keep bits to a minimum and no gadgets as such, just running martingales on one that doesnt and two that do need them.

I dont like to see kids at shows with extra strong bits standing martingales ,whips and spurs, they usually cant handle the equipment and the ponies dont need it.

I dont find matchy matchy offensive , it cant do any harm surely

Patterdale

Visit site
Elsiecat I'm sensing a serious lack of compassion here. I think YOU'RE the hater! Why not just go the whole hog and get a hate page against me!

Ps I'm not rileyboy but I do know him. Me, him, DD, mad baz and CD(BH) are all going cob swimming next week. There's a whole thread but I randomly excluded you...

lottiepony

Visit site
All the gear no idea or my personal favourite : all the gear still can't go clear :D

each to their own I say, I end up colour coordinating but only as I buy everything in blue :)

ellie11987

Visit site
I am guilty of having one too many matchy matchy sets, but as far as tack goes I wouldn't change it for 'the look'. People who use grackles, flashes, certain bits, whips, spurs, martingales, breastplates ect for no real reason but the look do annoy me. There's no harm in sparkly blingy matchy matchy bandages/saddlecloths/fly veils though :D

Littlelegs

Visit site
If its not doing any harm & has no effect on the horse, it doesn't bother me. But personally unless you are a kid, I think the less the better is a nicer look. Not fussed what others do though. Only annoys me when its having an impact on the horse. Or if someone has spent a fortune on stuff but hasn't got the money for actual necessaties, or things like training.

Vinney

Visit site
My grand daughters all have their names on their jackets. The pony has his name on his numnah. As far as I am concerned the pony doesnt suffer for this little bit of fun. I wouldnt put anything on him that would adversly affect his health or comfort. Our other youngster will be backed this year and yes he will have his name of some of his equipment especially his numnah.

minesadouble

Visit site
Oh dear, my kids have their ponies names on their numnahs. My daughter has a jacket with hers and her beloved ponys name on . They dont use boots of bandages as they dont need them but we do put a running martingale on one of the ponies because it helps balance him up to the eye. He has quite a heavy shoulder.
We keep bits to a minimum and no gadgets as such, just running martingales on one that doesnt and two that do need them.

I dont like to see kids at shows with extra strong bits standing martingales ,whips and spurs, they usually cant handle the equipment and the ponies dont need it.

I dont find matchy matchy offensive , it cant do any harm surely

Kids are excused from the 'no names' rule in my opinion. I would have loved a jacket with my pony's name on when I was a kid but wouldn't dream of it now I'm an 'oldie' ;)

Luci07

Visit site
How can you tell if someone is electing to wear a certain item for show or if their horse needs it? unless of course they tell you.

Showjumpers tend to have names on jackets etc, dressage riders tend to go for matchy matchy, each to their own. I try to not have too many extras on board tack wise as its more to clean but I choose to have my youngster fully booted. Each, as Elsiecat said.. to their own!

touchstone

Visit site
I'm too lazy to use tack I don't need; I'd rather quickly tack up than faff about with non essentials and it's all to clean. I don't even bother with my saddle sometimes. :eek:

My friend always used a drop noseband, sheepskin numnah and breastplate because she liked the look of them and thought they suited her horse. He was always immaculately turned out and I don't supposed he was bothered by it. As long as tack is well fitting and clean and not totally ott and the bit isn't unneccessarily strong I don't have a problem with it.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Couldn't give a stuff if other people do it to be honest, not my horses not my problem.
My horses wear the tack they NEED and wear bandages all around and skid boots either just in front or all around depending on what activity we're doing.

NooNoo59

Visit site
I do like matching travel gear! When i was younger, 40 years ago, i had a chestnut pony and he had a yellow string girth, yellow reins, yellow numnah - how gross is that!! Prefer navy and black now!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I also have a bugbear about names on saddlecloths and jackets, but that's just me! :)

No, it's not!;)

If people really must wear 'matchy matchy' that's up to them, so long as they realise it makes them look like novicey numpties. :confused: What I really hate though, is when people use items of tack, such as flash nosebands or standing martingales, with no idea of how to use them or why.:eek:

1stclassalan

Visit site
I'd like to put in a word for beautiful women - sidesaddle of course and wearing snood and veil - that'll do nicely for me!

I rode around the village on the summer fete day with my long time friend thus attired about thirty years ago and I don't think I'm over it yet - and she knew it, hahaha.

Arizahn

Visit site
I think names on saddleclothes are handy in case you have a fall out hacking and the horse takes off. Rider's name and name of yard/discreetly embroidered emergency contact number sort of thing. Always wanted something like that...

Love matching colours of saddleclothes to rider's clothes in some way too. Blue saddlecloth with blue sweater, etc. But I just like an excuse to wear something colourful!

Coblover63

Visit site
Lol.... I am the opposite. I had a TB gelding who shook his head from the flies in the summer so I bought him a smart black ear bonnet which solved the problem. But I did feel a bit "all the gear, no idea" and wanted to tell everyone that he was wearing it for a genuine reason! :eek:

Hot2Trot

Visit site
I just dont care what anyone does. I really couldnt tell you anyone at my yard who has excess tack or whether they need it. I never even look.

But then I only know the names of about three people at my yard and that's because they have them on their jacket so I think its quite useful! Even if it is a bit lame on adults. Cute for kids though.

Feathered

Visit site
I quite like a bit of a matchy matchy, but pointless fashion tack does bug me... All the teenagers round here seem to have a thing for 5 point breastplates at the moment, I've seen one so huge and baggy it wouldn't have any effect at all... Oh well it's their money I suppose, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think names on saddleclothes are handy in case you have a fall out hacking and the horse takes off. Rider's name and name of yard/discreetly embroidered emergency contact number sort of thing. Always wanted something like that...

Sis & I both have a luggage label in a little case with hi-viz border with all that info on both the saddle and our jackets just in case. I certinly don't want to be advertising my contact details to all and sundry.

Countrychic

Visit site
Lol.... I am the opposite. I had a TB gelding who shook his head from the flies in the summer so I bought him a smart black ear bonnet which solved the problem. But I did feel a bit "all the gear, no idea" and wanted to tell everyone that he was wearing it for a genuine reason! :eek:

I'm the same! I started a thread asking for help with a hot horse I own a while ago. One of the suggestions was to put ear muffs on, she now wears these and French blinkers and they made such a difference (especially when it's windy) that I put them on one of my others, but now I feel like everyone will think I've got them all dressed up to pose.
On the other hand, another of mine has been jumping in a snaffle and she really suits it because her head is very delicate. She has been getting rude in the classes and we decided a Dutch gag would be the best bit for her but it looks awful, too big for her pretty head. I really hate her wearing it :eek: