Putting down a horse with copd

breebree191

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone. This is a really difficult question for me, but here goes. I bought a pony in may. This pony is to replace my other 'broken mare,' who i have owned for 10 years. Unfortunately, the day after i got her home, she developed a cough. Under vet treatment over the summer pony got worse, and she has been diagnosed with copd. At the moment she is living out, and on a high dose of steriods and dilaterol. Cough has gone, but pony is still heaving. It varies from between 12 and 24 breaths per minute and is unridable. I am absolutely devastated and im working 7 days a week to pay for the vet for her, but he says she will need medicating for the rest of her life. im heart broken im having to go through all of this again, its really effecting me mentally. My thought process at the moment is that i cannot get to grips with it over winter, i wont have a chance in hell of helping her in the summer when she is at her worse. So if i don everything i can over winter and still cant help her, should i PTS?! :( shes a lovely little thing with the brightest personality, and she seems happy in herself. Am I selfish for even thinking this?!? I dont know what to do. I really dont :( Thanks everyone :'(

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Oh dear, what an awful situation to find yourself in. Your vet really is the best person to advise you. Long term use of steroids are a problem with the risk of side effects. Judging the quality of life is another aspect that needs your vet to advise on. No one on the forum could really give appropriate guidance without knowing the pony. Many of us do have COPD horses and there are so many differing ways of managing them and a huge variation in the severity of COPD.

My thoughts would be to express your worries to your vet and take some time to consider the way forwards into winter. There is absolutely nothing wrong in ending the suffering of a horse, it is the most responsible and kind thing an owner can ultimately do.

albeg

Visit site
If no improvement can be made and she's struggling (or you're struggling), there are worse fates than PTS. Hopefully you can get it under control, it's an awful situation to be in.

I went through months of trying to figure my guy out with his, if you want to chat about management (what works for me may not work for you, but I tried different suggestions til we hit one that worked), PM me.

SpringArising

Visit site
Absolutely not selfish. I had one with COPD and it was so difficult.

You would be doing your mare a kindness - it sounds like she's suffering. I would go as far to say it's more cruel to keep her going at this point.

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The only option I would suggest if doable is whether you could chuck her out in a different location for a bit, I've known a couple vastly improve by being somewhere else, even though the actual trigger wasn't really identified. This of course depends on your circumstances but did just want to throw it out there.

Shay

Visit site
Well said LB and SA. OP you are not being selfish. You have to think of the best for the mare and the best for you. You are being really brave by thinking of the "unthinkable" (which isn't). This is what owning horses means.

Talk to your vet. You might also want to talk to someone from "friends at the end" run by the BHS.

Reactions: TPO

Clodagh

Visit site
The only option I would suggest if doable is whether you could chuck her out in a different location for a bit, I've known a couple vastly improve by being somewhere else, even though the actual trigger wasn't really identified. This of course depends on your circumstances but did just want to throw it out there.

I agree with this, did she come from a different location? However I cannot see anyone wanting to try her living somewhere else and PTS is probably be the best option.

w1bbler

Visit site
You've only had her since May, hard to justify huge expense & ongoing treatment for a horse you barely know, as others have said there are worse fates than pts.
May sound heartless, but I'd try my hardest for a long term equine friend, but in your position I'd saya quick goodbye.Sounds like you have already given her a fair chance.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This is a cruel position to be in and copd is a cruel disease .
I would just get it done and get it over with .
I am so so so sorry for you .

Firefly9410

Visit site
It does sound as thoug PTS might be best for both of you. Working 7 days a week does not sound feasible in the long term. But if we leave that issue aside for the moment and if you want to try with her there are some things to consider. Out 24/7 is not always best if it is pollen related. Unrideable in the usual sense I agree but riding or other exercise can be a useful part of managing the condition. The fitter the better usually and not too many days off in a row. Going at their own speed, encourage a few strides of trot and increase how much as the ride progresses can help. Mine definitely breathes better and is more enthusiastic by the end of the ride. Mine suffers without herbs called Clarity which was recommended to me and works well alongside exercise to keep the worst of it at bay. He benefits from and enjoys a ride with cantering 3 days a week. Unless someone else got on and tried to start cantering a whole circle in the first 5min you would not know he has COPD. If they did that he would be coughing and wheezing. He would be struggling to breathe if I did not ride for a few weeks. At 11-24 breaths per minute with a heave line and suffering like yours, but these are only the very worst days a handful of times over summer now I have the management right. This is a horse I already had 6yrs though before it struck and the cost has never had me working a 7 day week. If you wanted to PTS it sounds like you have your vets agreement anyway. Not an easy decision and you must consider your own welfare too. In the past 15 was old and past it. Navicular, arthritis, COPD etc not treated but retired to the field or PTS. Modern medicine improved life expectancy and treatment but just because we can does not necessarily mean we should. Just another perspective. I happy with my decision to keep going it feels right and horse and I are enjoying life. Whatever your decision I hope you can be at peace you sound struggling at the moment. Sending peace vibes in your direction.

breebree191

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, thank you for your reponses. Its reasured me that im not evil or selfish haha. Shes out for the next week before she moves yard, and is being transitioned to a hay/haylage free diet and will be living off fast fibre slop to eridicate any dust what so ever. Her breathing rate is high, but not so much of a heave line anymore. I will try the clarity herbs and if very strict management cannot help her, then i will accept there is nothing more i can do :(

Carrottom

Visit site
Pulmoease really helped a COPD pony I knew who didn't respond well to Dilatorol. Expensive stuff but they did send a free sample as a taste test.

CJoe

Visit site
you are not evil or selfish....if she is that affected, consider if you left her to "drown slowly", that is far worse....xxxx