Putting in foal now

Irishcobs

Visit site
A friend is putting 2 of his mares in foal now, this month. One has had a foal about 3 weeks ago the other is a maiden as far as I know. They are going to bring them in and AI them.
I guess if you have the correct factillities then it would be fine, but surely its too late now, even to bring them in?

snurse

Visit site
The problem is that resulting foals will be born August/September which may mean keeping them in with their mums through the winter. Suppose it's no real problem if you've got big stables, but I like to see foals out and about soon after birth. Still, friend has a baby foal, you said, so they've obviously thought about it before.

S_N

Visit site
The only mares we're breeding atm are ones that will then ship down under - therefore will foal on Southern Hemisphere time!!

Fudgiefoo

Visit site
I had two problems with late foal (due 24th June, arrived 4th July)

1. Mare went through the very hot April & May we had this year heavily pregnant and felt it. She was very sweaty almost every day when coming in from the field. Also was keeping her in at night in the lead up to foaling so she could foal indoors and therefore turning her out in the heat of the day

2. Foal will be due for weaning on 4th Jan 2008 so he's being left on until March instead. Thats fine as mare isn't back in foal but you wouldn't want to leave foal on all winter if mare is in foal again too.

If I did it again I'd send her to stud in April but as it happened last min last time she went to stud in June & didn't take first time.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Fudgiefoo that is a very good point about the mares going out in the heat of the day. Mine were not too bad because of the later summers. Last year the summer started Jun 02 & Prince was born 3rd this year it was even later & I was a bit worried for Giz born 6th Jun. I also had to take into account weaning as our stables are only 12 x 16 which is too small imo for a 15.3 mare & 5/6 mth old foal. I expect each to their own & if circumstances are different then owners can afford to have late foals. I just wonder how fair it is on both the mare & foal. Not much grass out there now that is of any quality & with the weather we got yesterday morning I am glad Giz is that bit older. The heavens opened here & we had 60mile an hour winds not pleasent for any new borns.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Thats what I thought, about being out in the heat when heavily pregnant and having the foal with mum all winter. They do have big stables though. They only had a late foal this year because they couldn't get the mare in foal eariler.
I guess its possible the mares won't take isn't, like a higher chance because its late on?