Putting my horse up for share - but not 100% bombproof etc?

joolie

Visit site
I have been toying with the idea of putting my mare up for share, mainly to help from a time perspective (and also a bit financially). However she isn't exactly a laid back sensible been there and done it type. She hacks but can chuck in the odd spook or nap to keep me entertained, and is better in company but will go alone. A bit sticky passing large vehicles in very close proximity but fine given some space. In the school she goes nicely, schooling novice dressage and starting laterals. I don't jump but I get someone to do a bit with her so she can pop a x pole and small grid happily.

Is there a market for someone to want to share her do you think? Could be a very flexible arrangement for the right person but they need to be confident! And how much to charge for 2 maybe 3 days a week? Thanks :)

Noble

Visit site
If you put up an honest advert for her I don't see why not, there are young confident people out there without the time or money to keep their own but still want something fun. As for money I would be looking a £80 - £100 PCM depending on the number of days.

Shay

Visit site
Make certain you have 3rd party liability insurance and they have their own rider insurance. But other than that why not at least try?

Visit site
I'm sure you'll find someone just be totally honest. There's nothing more annoying than being told a horse is great at x and then they turn out not to be.

Personally I wouldn't charge as much as suggested if there are full stable duties required.

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
My mare is spooky and can be nappy on her own, she is lovely but definitely not easy, I did find a sharer, took a few months but the girl has now been with me for about a year and a half. I only charge her for shoes every 6 weeks and she rides 4 times a week. Some times she only pays half shoes as she does my other horse as well when I'm working. She is completely invaluable. And time wise is such a massive help. I would advertise and see what happens, there are some really great sharers out there. But I think I have the best

SpringArising

Visit site
For sure. I found a sharer for my gelding who was a bucker and could nap and do mini rears. I just wrote in the contract what he could do and had her sign it.

pennyturner

Visit site
There are sharers out there for all kinds of horses. We have a little welsh pony who was the most terrible napper. Our sharer wanted to ride out alone, and took immense pleasure in working through his hissy fits. I'd go so far as to say she fell in love with him. Who'd have thought there'd be someone out there who'd enjoy a rearing, spinning, backing up, head tossing 12.3hh monster.

Not everyone wants point and press. In the end she won the battle, and he stopped... for her ;)

joolie

Visit site
Thanks - I make her sound horrendous but she's a cracking little horse, easy to handle etc but just a switched on ride. She schools beautifully and will jump etc, she's just far from a plod. Suppose I'm a little worried someone novicey would try to take her on but guess I'll have to vet carefully.

Steorra

Visit site
I’m a sharer. I’ve been riding since I was tiny, so more than 20 years now. None of the horses I’ve shared have been steady-neddy types, though some have been quirkier than others :).

I wouldn’t make a big thing of it in your advert, because I think it puts off perfectly capable people, who might equate ‘not suitable for novices’ with ‘totally bonkers, bring your own parachute.’ Meanwhile, real novices who don’t know what they don’t know will believe they are suitable and approach you anyway. I’d just say something like ‘well-schooled, forward-going mare,’ and leave further details for a phone call. Most horses will sometimes spook etc and emphasising that in the advert makes more of it than it is.

A quick phone call can weed out the truly clueless if you ask the right questions, and if someone can talk the talk but not walk the walk, you’ll find out when you meet them. Remember, you are free to turn down any potential sharer you think isn’t right for you. Don’t let anyone put you on the spot about making a decision; if you have any doubt then tell the person in front of you that you want to think things over and will call them back. A trial is always a good idea, so that you can see how the horse and sharer get along day –to-day, because sometimes what should work in theory doesn’t click in practice.

So far as charging is concerned, 80pcm seems typical around here, though there is usually some trade-off between payment and chores. I don’t pay a set amount each month for my current share, but I buy the odd bag of feed or shavings if I see they’re running low, I’ve replaced reins and a girth that were wearing out with quality leather ones, bought him a turn-out rug, and I clip him, as well as helping out around the yard as much as I am able. There's no 'should' about it so long as everyone is happy.

I hope you find someone! :)

Dream2own

Visit site
I'm a sharer and agree with the above then honesty is best policy. I am not confident with horses who are a bit more "feisty" so an advert simply saying not suitable for novices would put me off enquiring.

I have always been upfront and honest with my owners and would only expect the same. I have been to see horses not honestly advertised before and it's just a waste of everyone's time. I'd say just be honest but positive and you'll get the right people.

I pay £100 plus poo pick once a week as she's on full livery. This is my first month with my new loan and her owner has kindly waived the first months "fee" so I can have lessons on her to get to know her.

lunginggirl

Visit site
I put my boy up for share when he was 5. He could be green sometimes, would be spooky hacking on his own and was going through his stroppy teenage years! But I found a lovely sharer who is still with us 5 years on! She was always really good with him and made sure to keep up to date on what was happening with him. On another note I used to share a very funny TB who could be very marish and wasn't always completly there when riding! She would think at the very last minute and could be clumsy! But either way she a brilliant horse and I loved her and all my other shares like my own!

joolie

Visit site
Lovely, thanks all for the input. Really helpful! We are just coming through some saddle issues so once we have the green light to start work I will pop an advert up. I was thinking 2/3 days a week at £80 a month, there will be some jobs but she is kept on a cracking yard. She is a clever and rewarding ride but you have to work for it! I'd happily let someone have a bash at some dressage etc so it'd suit a more confident and ambitious person.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have a sort of sharer, someone who rides my horse 2-3x a week during uni term time. He can be spooky and sharp but she copes OK with him and enjoys him. i'm away a lot with work so having her ride helps me out enormously, hence I don't actually charge her anything. She poo picks and fills up his water on the days she rides. Just having someone do that along with the riding is enough of a help. I don't need the financial help, having someone to spend time with and exercise him is the important thing for me.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I shared a very sharp mare for over a year before I got Lottie. I knew her before I shared her to be fair as she belongs to a friend. I loved her quirks and once I got to know her totally loved riding her.

There are plenty of horseless but capable riders out there looking for a share. I would agree with not mentioning much in the advert but discussing it over the phone. I tried a mare to share once who jig jogged for the entire ride, cantering sideways down the road and was a general pig. I managed fine but being a mum I wanted something a little more sedate than that!!! Apparently she is pretty terrible to hack in traffic!! You don't say!!!

joolie

Visit site
Thanks for the input. Would ideally like some contribution financially (costs an arm and a leg) but would flex a bit if I found the right person. I have a lot of free time in the week due to shifts, it's actually more the weekend I struggle as I want to spend time with OH. Hopefully someone will come along who's right for us!