Putting ponies in together?

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I’ve got 2 ponies at the moment living out. I split the field in 2 so they are next to each other but not in together. This works well and both seem happy (I know ideally they need a friend etc). I’ve got the chance of buying my own land and would love to do a mini track system with them in together. However the newest pony is a grumpy always puts his ears back my other pony on the yard or over the fence and is very possessive over his food. He’ll start grooming other ponies over the fence, then pull and face at them. He’s also quite attached to my older pony and calls for him if he’s on a hack but equally sees him and pulls a face. They both wear back shoes which is my worry. I don’t think I can risk putting them in together can I. Or could they learn to get along? Non grumpy pony is a quiet laid back old boy but I don’t want him getting bullied. I don’t want to risk it with back shoes, but I’m sad they aren’t together. Maybe I could do a track and split it in 2? Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks

94lunagem

Visit site
Give it a go, you'll probably be surprised how well it works. I have two in together with one who is possessive over food, it took me a while but I can now feed both in the field together (they live out) and if I have to put hay out, I always make sure there are at least 3 separate piles well spaced out so one cannot bully the other off.

You could watch them, but if anything happens you should not try and get in the middle of it so it probably doesn't achieve anything (in my opinion).

Orangina

Visit site
I have horses with back shoes on in with each other, never been an issue when introducing them. Obviously if a horse has a reputation for being particularly violent then maybe not but pulling faces and ears back isn't anything unusual

suestowford

Visit site
In many pairings there is often one who is bossy towards the other, mainly this seems to happen at feeding times.
I've got two here who get on really well, but you wouldn't think so at dinnertime from the awful faces one of them pulls. He will chase & bite too. But the other one just scampers out of the way and keeps his eye on the food. Once they've started eating all is calm again.

You could try them together for a short while, and separate before feeding. See how they get on like that.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Ours dislikes horses behind her bottom, she licks out if they get too close but she is fine turned out with others..they soon get told and they keep their distance! We are at livery so don’t have a lot of choice on field mates, we even had a gelding yesterday with them and they were fine. They soon work out who’s in charge.

Ours doesn’t have back shoes however but the others do x