Putting weight on a mare

MustangWoman

Visit site
Hello all,
I recently purchased a mare, and she needs some weight. Her ribs, top line, and hips are very visible. She was on pasture with 14 others, and she was fed sweet feed 4 times a day (pound and a half). Most of the others, with an exception of her and a few, were healthy weights, so she was definitely lower in pecking order. Well, now she is here with my gelding, and I would like to see her plump like him! Here's my feeding schedule: Morning, 3 quarts (full scoop) of a 6% fat 10% protein high quality pellet. Evening, 3 quarts of same feed, a scoop of biotin supplement. I give unlimited hay all day everyday, and grass turnout 3 days a week. I worm every month, worm for tapeworms every six months, teeth floated yearly, vet every 6 months. The vet comes Tuesday and will examine the new mare, but I have her current shot records and coggins. I've heard of beet pulp or rice, but I would like to know what has been effective from people that have actually seen results with their own horses. And when I do get something that will help her gain weight, how long of a process am I to be expecting? I'm not in a hurry or anything, I just like to be aware of what is going on. :)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Your location makes it difficult to know what products are available, have to say right now Im envious as it will be lovely and warm where you are!! Been there, lovely place.....

A feed which puts weight on well here is a mash type called Ready Mash Extra, ladies on my yard use if for their oldies. Its full of essential ingredients to maximise weight gain. If you Google it you may find something available where you are.

Out of interest, why do you have to worm every month? I only worm 3 times a year and 2 of those covers Tapeworm.

SCMSL

Visit site
If you're in the US I couldn't be more jealous, because you have Triple Crown available!

TC senior is great for putting weight on. You can also have available for her (23/7) a large bucket of Alfa A oil available. This will encourage her to ingest up to 30% more fiber, plus AAO is packed full of calories and quality protein.

Best of luck with your new horse!

MustangWoman

Visit site
Thanks! I worm every month because I live in FL and there are a LOT of flies, Mosquitos, ticks, fleas, etc that spread worms to the animals like wildfire. It's only $5 a month for a good rotational wormer. I did consider Triple crown, I think I might actually get that for her because its a 10% fat and already has biotin in it so I wouldn't have to supplement her.
Is the alpha oil an actual oil?
The weather has been nice in FL, it was about 80 degrees yesterday! If I had a trailer, I would have took the babes for a beach ride.

SCMSL

Visit site
Alpha A Oil is basically an alfalfa chaff, but its great to put on weight on our horsies.

www.dengie.com

If you can't find it there, your feed store must have alfalfa cubes. Just pour some hot water and a couple of mugs of soya oil on them and serve, its a good alternative.

MustangWoman

Visit site
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply, my feed store might have this stuff actually. It's always overwhelming there because they have rows and rows of products. I'll make a note of this product and ask them for it.
What do you use for sand colic? Here in Florida, there is no dirt, the grass grows over top of soft sand and I use Sand Clear one week of the month. I recently read a study that says psyllium does nothing for sand in the gut... I've not had any colic problems with my gelding, knock on wood... But I've been concerned since reading that.

SCMSL

Visit site
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply, my feed store might have this stuff actually. It's always overwhelming there because they have rows and rows of products. I'll make a note of this product and ask them for it.
What do you use for sand colic? Here in Florida, there is no dirt, the grass grows over top of soft sand and I use Sand Clear one week of the month. I recently read a study that says psyllium does nothing for sand in the gut... I've not had any colic problems with my gelding, knock on wood... But I've been concerned since reading that.

I've never had any issues with sand colic either and I've never used any product for it! As long as they have a healthy diet, and are healthy themselves, I figure nature has a way of caring for itself.

claribella

Visit site
Can you get micronised linseed. Its amazing stuff for weight gain, feet, coat. Id combine this with a high fibre low sugar product to get the best results. Low sugar being less than five percent.

Also worming that frequently might make your horse become immune to the wormers. You could try a more natural product that just works at keeping the gut healthy and hostile for worms to grow in like verm x or neem leaf.

Good luck!

MustangWoman

Visit site
Hi Claribella,
Yesterday I bought Triple Crown Senior, and my feed store is ordering an additive someone suggested (I forget what the name is, but they were out of it) that the feed store said I should start seeing results in around 2 weeks. I use a rotational wormer so they don't become immune to one product, but because of our location I have to worm monthly. It's the same for my dogs too, I breed AKC registered Shetland Sheepdogs, and we have to worm monthly and also give a monthly heart wormer. It's miserable!!!! The parasite population is rediculous in Florida! Plus, I live right next to the state forest that has 20,000 acres of trails and the fleas and ticks are awful. I have to always make sure I buy a fly spray that is defensive against the fleas and ticks plus Mosquitos. The Mosquitos will carry you off if you don't have spray, and they carry a lot of bots and diseases. Certain flie species here will capture a mosquito and attach their eggs to it so it can spread the eggs to the livestock intravenously for them. However, in the summer time when fleas/ticks are the worst, I treat my property with a safe repellant that really helps control them to where I down have to pay the $70 a box topical. The fleas live in the grass, and when the horses eat the grass, they get tape worms. I love Florida, but I truly believe it's more costly to own animals here than anywhere else. :( When we lived in TN, we didn't have to worm monthly and I never once saw a flea or tick on any of my animals. I sure miss my mountain top home...