Pytchley Hunt hounds killed on A43 this afternoon

sparow

Visit site
As title. Hounds have been killed running onto A43 near Boughton, Northants this afternoon seemingly out of control. More fuel to the fire that the Pytchley are not using scent trails but hunting foxes. Very distressing for the motorists involved and very sad for the hounds who have lost their lives in this senseless manner.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Or was it Sabs calling them across the road ?
I remember a few years back that Sabs called hounds across a railway track and 12 hounds were killed by so called " animal lovers "
Really? what a weak defence, if they were following a trail why would you lay it so close to such a major road without thinking out the likely consequences. They were obviously fox hunting which is illegal but we all know it is still going on.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Or was it Sabs calling them across the road ?
I remember a few years back that Sabs called hounds across a railway track and 12 hounds were killed by so called " animal lovers "
I've had hounds end up in my property because they were left behind no sabs involved at all, the hunt just carried on and I manged to keep them in my yard.

Honestly they looked knackered and they just wanted to rest and needed water I really didn't want to give them back.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
On another note in out local paper it was reported that a fox was seen ripped apart by hounds not far from us, they were asking if anyone had seen anything and gave specific areas.

I don't have alot of sympathy for the hunts that operate near us anymore they are so disrespectful and have caused mayhem on occasions, it sounds like it's going on everywhere and to be honest I would rather it all just stopped.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If they were following a trail they would have been no where near a main road.

Both drag hunts that I went out with for years in Cheshire were regularly near fast A roads. They also had hounds hit by cars. I have hunted with only a low stock fence between me and the M6.

There isn't enough open countryside left in Cheshire to hunt without going near major roads.

Last edited:

SDMabel

Visit site
I am not anti-hunting , I have stopped hunting due to sab presence and bloodhounding due to lack of respect and manners within the field.
It's something I've had many happy memories doing, but every time something like this happens, it's just another nail in the hunts coffin !

I am in the neighbouring county to Northampton and we certainly don't have a lack of open countryside here, Northamptonshire has fantastic rolling hills of pasture land. I imagine with the ground being so saturated , the hunt are limited as to what landowners will allow them across. That doesn't excuse hounds being on such a busy major road, if it is due to lack of willing landowners with the ground underfoot they need to weigh up going out over the risk of traumatic incidents like this happening .

Horrific for the hounds, the driver of the car and anyone to witness it , but what if next time it's more than just a hounds life that is lost , cars swerving to avoid them and colliding etc.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
From local press:-

A spokesman for Northants Police said: “Officers from Northamptonshire Police Rural Crime Team are appealing for witnesses after several hounds were reported to have been killed on the A43 carriageway, near to the Hannington crossroads, shortly after 4pm yesterday (Monday, February 19).

“At least three hounds were reported to have sadly been killed after being in collision with a number of vehicles, which prompted officers to close the carriageway to ensure that the remaining hounds were able to be safely removed from the vicinity and returned to the owners.

It is so dangerous having hounds out of control anywhere, let alone on a major road. The same hunt had a hound killed on the same road in 2019.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
How awful.

It doesn't matter how the heck it happened, the fact is that this must have been an awful experience for everyone involved, especially the Hunt & Kennel staff, and the motorist(s) involved.

I know that stretch of road - its a nightmare at the best of times. I have a distant relative in the area and have stayed in a lovely little B&B at a place in Pytchley country where the hosts hunted with them.

So very sorry.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It's illegal for dogs to be unleashed on public roads
Do hounds have some sort of special dispensation?
Yes there is an exemption for when they are engaged in the sport (so hound exercise is arguably not covered) provided they are under proper control. Which clearly they weren't, but it's a heck of a grey area as the definition of proper control wasn't really specified in the Act iirc.

Widgeon

Visit site
Do hounds have some sort of special dispensation?
I often wonder that. If I roamed the countryside with a dozen large dogs off lead wandering onto private land, there would probably be consequences for me. But there rarely seem to be any for hunts. I hated the way the ban was pushed through, but since then the behaviour of our local hunts has....not endeared me to them, it would be fair to say.

Jemima50

Visit site
Really? what a weak defence, if they were following a trail why would you lay it so close to such a major road without thinking out the likely consequences. They were obviously fox hunting which is illegal but we all know it is still going on.
Sabs use horns and scents to draw hounds onto major roads , so they can film them and then cause a scene with the hunt , which they are still filming, so it looks like the hunt is to blame

Jemima50

Visit site
Yet another example of illegal hunting. If they were following a trail they would have been no where near a main road. I am guessing "The trail" crossed the road. Pathetic that people try to blame sabs. When will people admit that Fox hunting is going on under the guise of trail hunting? We all know it.
Sabs use horns and scents to draw hounds onto major roads , so they can film them and then cause a scene with the hunt , which they are still filming, so it looks like the hunt is to blame

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It certainly doesn’t help with hound control if sabs distract the hounds with false horn calls etc. Active sabbing like that is much disproved of on this forum, including by me, because of the risks to hounds and to the public, but no evidence has been presented that sabs were present in this latest debacle.

It looks to be be solely down to the Pytchley who allowed their hounds to hunt onto a major road. Hounds will not have been following a trail, will they, it’ll have been a fox.

Local pack often criss crosses the main roads here many times a day round here with hounds on a hunting day. It baffles me. Usually all up as a pack, but spilling out over the opposite carriageway on busy A roads. It’s too crowded an island to do that.

Sandstone1

Visit site
There is no excuse for what happened to those hounds.
I accept that on occasion sabs may behave badly but it has no bearing on what happened here.
Something needs to be done about illegal hunting and soon.
If hunts had wanted to hunt within the law they have had the chance over the many years since the ban.
Instead, they have decided to ignore the ban and carry on as before.
When all hunting with hounds is banned they only have themselves to blame.
Causing mayhem on roads, upsetting livestock, killing pets, trespass, anti social behaviour not to mention hunting foxes and on many occasions killing them has been their choice. Its no good them playing the victim now. Had they stuck to the law they would not be in the position they are now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

There were no sabs present on any of the occasions I've been out with hounds spilling onto major roads. Hunts really don't need any help with this, they manage fine by themselves. If they hunt in areas with major roads, it will happen.

Jemima50

Visit site
According to the sabs the Pytchley have cancelled their remaining meets for the season, though tbf the season is nearing its end anyway, so maybe not many meets lost.

Keeping their heads down.

Our local hunts are ending their seasons early, due to the torrential rain we have been having, leaving fields sodden

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes they do , they will draw hounds towards a main road and then film the hunt staff trying to get them away whilst filming to make it look like the hunt have laid a trail next to the main road.
This is how sabs operate.
Also when I was at uni, sabs would offer students money to sab.
It's basically rent a mob.
Awful :(