Quads/ dirt bikes in public places.

alainax

Visit site
Saw this today from our local constabulary. I feel dumb for not being aware that it was illegal to use a motorised vehicle anywhere off-road without explicit consent from the land owner, even if its publicly / council/ forestry commission owned. Loads of tracks here are unusable due to bikes tearing up and down them, I naively thought they had as much right to be there as walkers/ cyclist / horses etc. It's really good to know that they will be cracking down on it, hopefully it has an effect.

USE OF QUAD BIKES AND OTHER OFF ROAD MOTOR VEHICLES - IRVINE BEACH PARK

With improvements in the weather Police Scotland often see a rise in complaints regarding the antisocial and illegal use of quad bikes and off road motorcycles in local communities.

On Saturday 4th March 2017 Roads Policing Officers based at Irvine issued 2 fixed penalty notices to men allegedly using a motor vehicle elsewhere other than on a road at Irvine Beach Park.

Constable Stewart of Roads Policing said "Police in North Ayrshire are stepping up patrols in the area of Irvine Beach Park following an increase in complaints from members of the public about the illegal and antisocial use of off road vehicles in the area. In some areas the use of motor vehicles can have a detrimental effect on the environment and wildlife.

"The law is clear - the only places where off road vehicles can lawfully be ridden is on private land with the direct permission of the land owner or at an organised, supervised off road centre. We strongly recommend that riders wear full protective clothing at all times including a helmet which fits correctly and is securely fastened.

"We are regularly asked about the law surrounding the use of quad bikes and off road motorcycles and are today posting the answers to the questions we are most frequently asked."

Anyone with concerns or specific queries is asked to contact Police Scotland by calling 101 (in an emergency always dial 999).

CAN I RIDE ON WASTELAND?
The simple answer is no. There is a common misconception that public land or wasteland is free for anybody to do whatever they like – this is not the case.

WHAT ABOUT OUR PARKS, BEACHES AND PLAYING FIELDS?
The Local Authority owns most recreational areas including parks and nature areas and it is unlikely that they would give permission for use of motor vehicles in these areas. Remember you need the direct permission of the land owner.

CAN I USE OFF ROAD VEHICLES ON THE PAVEMENT OR FOOTPATH?
Again the simple answer is no. Only vehicles that meet the required standards and are registered with the DVLA can be used on our roads and surrounding areas including car-parks. As well as being registered they must be taxed and insured. An MOT will also be required for vehicles over 3 years old. There is no exemption for vehicles designed for off road use and young people are also not exempt.

OUR ADVICE
- Think carefully before buying a machine.
- Consider your personal responsibilities – you can be prosecuted if you are irresponsible.
- Look into joining an organised motorbike group.
- Always get the permission from the owner of private land.
- Ignorance of the law is no excuse against prosecution.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I wish our cops would launch a crackdown. One bridleway has become unusable along quite a long stretch because of the local kids on dirtbikes. Me and my dog very nearly got mown down one day as two ****s (no helmets) came hairing towards us. I had to jump in between them and my dog. Called the police but of course by the time they eventually arrived the kids were gone.

Last Summer every single evening I could hear dirtbikes on the playing fields behind my paddock. Police never caught a single one of them. They are an absolute menace!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Our police force are usually really good with rural crimes, they have op Galileo running for hare coursing but I understand they have seized and crushed a good few 4x4s as it has progressed. In Notts/S Yorks where I do a lot of work, we are working with local forces on operation Jericho which is targeting off road quads etc. They are doing a really good job!

pansymouse

Visit site
I come across a lot of dirt bikes and quads when I'm riding on Salisbury Plain and I have to say the vast majority are very considerate to me. I do wear a lot of hi vis so they can see me a long way off and divert their route or slow down in plenty of time.