quantities of pig oil and sulphur

parsley

Visit site
I want to treat my boy's heels as he still has dermititus (now that I am moving him closer I will be able to treat them twice a day). I have got some stuff that removes dead tissue and some ointment from the vet but I understand that pig oil and sulphur is also very good.

The question is - how much of each do I mix together?

Theresa_F

Visit site
I just glug in the oil and add sulphur and mix until it looks like a macdonalds thick shake - I buy 10 litres of oil and 3 kgs of sulphur if that helps.

Another I make that is excellent on mud fever, sunburn, grease and skin problems is 1 teaspoon of sulphur, 10 drops of tea tree oil and a tablespoon of sudocream - mix well and apply - bit messy but very good.

Hope he is ok soon.

parsley

Visit site
Thanks! I like the sudocreme based receipe as I am a great applyer of it to anything and everything vaugely medical
grin.gif

I will de-scab his heel and start rubbing it in
cool.gif

parsley

Visit site
Thanks! I like the sudocreme based receipe as I am a great applyer of it to anything and everything vaugely medical
grin.gif

cool.gif

parsley

Visit site
grin.gif

cool.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
This mixture will soften off the scabs. Cairo gets a small area of grease - no matter what I do, it flares up from time to time. I apply my sudocream mixture every day for a week - just keep rubbing it in on top of the last lot - it looks a mess. At the weekend I remove it with warm water and a little hibscrub. The scabs just fall away. Little more cream to finish the job - either to finish healing or take off last of the scabbing. Normally a thick patch of grease takes 2 weeks to completely go.

parsley

Visit site
Thank you - I have never come across this before - the scabby bits are horrible. I thought it was mud fever for ages
blush.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Don't worry it will clear up - but you will have to keep an eye on his legs at all times.

I found my chaps are far better with feather - I know you show him but try leaving him hairy over the winter - oil him up and avoid washing as much as possible but do check the legs when you oil up on a weekly basis. I have done this with mine for the past three years and (touch wood) had no problems with mites or mud fever since.

Cairo's little grease patch is one of those things - some heavies have areas that just have to be maintained rather then got rid of.

If you want a really interesting article on grease, PM me and I'll send you a link.