Quarter horse?

Morland

Visit site
I will be looking for a new horse soon, for hacking (including all day hacks and holidays), Trec, pleasure rides etc. Must be calm natured and good in traffic. I will also school & continue with lessons. I like the idea of a Quarter horse - can anyone recommend them - or advise against them?!

Fairynuff

Visit site
there is no breed better than the QH! They are very versatile, trainable and trustworthy. The best person to ask here on HHo is Hen, she is very knowlegdeable and has 2 if not 3. Wonderful horses with wonderful brains :)

ridefast

Visit site
Obviously a quarter horse is good for western as that is what they have been bred for, if you wanted to compete serious dressage it wouldn't be suitable as dressage requires horses to be very "up" in front and poll high, which is not a quarter horses natural posture. However as far as calm and trainable go, I don't think you can go wrong with a QH, there is of course with any breed certain lines bred for different traits, so do your research, have some lessons and talk to experts

Spring Feather

Visit site
There are different strains of quarter horses, and each of these strains can be quite different from the other types. I own about about 10 registered AQHA/APHAs and they are all related with certain bloodlines as I know these bloodlines and what they tend to produce, and they're generally true to form. Mine are all working cattle stock horses; they are brave, super-fast, super-quick, and very obedient when they are working. When they are just hacking about they are non-spooky, easy going, simple to ride and generally uncomplicated, will do anything and go anywhere with you and they're basically an absolute pleasure to ride.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have 2 QH now 4 & 5. They have fantastic temp, very calm, excellent in all traffic. Both of mine really want to please and be with you. They hack have been to western clinics, shows, one has been to a Social Endurance Ride IMO they are one of the best breeds around.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There is one on Horsequest at the moment, the price must be a misprint at 30k unless that is what a QH with no competition record is worth.

A friend had a dun QH a few years ago and he was a super, willing and intelligent little horse that did everything well.

Fairynuff

Visit site
There are different strains of quarter horses, and each of these strains can be quite different from the other types. I own about about 10 registered AQHA/APHAs and they are all related with certain bloodlines as I know these bloodlines and what they tend to produce, and they're generally true to form. Mine are all working cattle stock horses; they are brave, super-fast, super-quick, and very obedient when they are working. When they are just hacking about they are non-spooky, easy going, simple to ride and generally uncomplicated, will do anything and go anywhere with you and they're basically an absolute pleasure to ride.

Sorry Spring Feather, I had forgotten you have QHs too! :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mind out for bad/too small feet. Other than that good. Not for dressage, really, but if you don't want that probably a good choice.

Morland

Visit site
Thank you! (I am definitley not into 'serious' dressage, btw - all that tension). I have heard QHs are versatile and have good temperaments. When I am ready to buy I will definitely look at QHs :)

TigerTail

Visit site
I know several and would recommend them for unflappable temperaments in general. Lovely breed usually just watch out for the feet.

Them or friesians :D

Potato!

Visit site
I'm thinking that they may be perfect fir me as on dartmoor and I occasionally get roped into to collecting sheep and cattle off the moors. My current lad isn't very good at it so I don't tend to go out but a QH is built for the job

Potato!

Visit site
There is one on Horsequest at the moment, the price must be a misprint at 30k unless that is what a QH with no competition record is worth.

A friend had a dun QH a few years ago and he was a super, willing and intelligent little horse that did everything well.

If it's the same one as on horse deals then it was one of Monty Roberts horses that was imported.

Tinypony

Visit site
My friend Lisa Bruin breeds beautiful quarter horses. They are just lovely and she does a great job of starting them.

Mariposa

Visit site
My best ever pony was a Quarter Horse. Not only was she the kindest, sweetest horse I've ever known, but she was the most comfortable ride, handy but solid. She thought polo was very boring - she thought fun rides and hacking was much more fun! I'd love another QH one day, those lovely big shoulders and nice big bums!

asmp

Visit site
What about a Criollo? I've owned one for 5 years and although he was western when I bought him, he's now ridden English and can do everything! My daughter does Trec, endurance, XC, sj and he can do basic dressage test. He's incredibly versatile and also a good doer.

TTK

Visit site
QH all the way for me. Do your research properly before buying as there are few temperamentally unsound blood lines out there and make sure it's PSSM negative.