Quarter Marks....

BethanT

Visit site
I am currently experimenting with various quarter marks on my horses. I love turning them out to high standard, and the fact that so few people use quarter marks around me, means that when I do they stand out. Not to mention my boy's coat goes a very metallic copper colour in the sun, so they really look good.

My question is, what types of marks suit what types of back end?

So far I have just been using basic 3 lines and sharks teeth, though I think I will try the V next. He doesn't have a huge back end, so are these types of marks better or worse for him?

I know anything with lots of detail is probably not going to do him any favours.

He is a 16hh TB (touch ID) bay gelding, and we compete in dressage and eventing

Visit site
I do some wonderful creations on the racehorses! But then I can! It's not showing so I can do what I like! It usually involves a thistle and stars. Other times I do steps and squares or stars, others I just do stars, stars and stripes, stars and squares ... you get the picture 😂😂😂

Showing wise there are some good YouTube videos from the likes of the Hoods and Kirsten Douglas.

Smooshy

Visit site
For mine, who is currently sat between small riding horse and small hunter, I use either 3 vertical lines and 2 boxes in each or large chequers (4 on top to fill the space, then next line etc. Depends on the day/ how much he is fidgeting. I would prefer the 'v' but he doesn't have enough muscle for that yet.

If I can jump in...
What do you use when putting quarter marks on? I have tried a number of products (after water didn't seem enough), but nothing holds them. Give it 2 minutes and they have faded. Maybe he doesn't have the coat for them.

Thanks

Visit site
I always use just water for the racehorses. A good groom, wipe over with a tea towel then a wet brush with the excess water shook off so it doesn't drip and then good hard strokes. I never dampen the bum down first as it just looks naff. Just straight on with a wet brush. But they only need to last 45mins though mine still tend to be on the next day after the race and a head to toe wash down and scrape off

ihatework

Visit site
I just use a slightly damp brush, then a bit of firm hold hairspray.
NAF do a spray called razzle dazzle that gets used for best!

Can’t advise on fancy marks though as I just do stripes on everything!

BethanT

Visit site
For mine, who is currently sat between small riding horse and small hunter, I use either 3 vertical lines and 2 boxes in each or large chequers (4 on top to fill the space, then next line etc. Depends on the day/ how much he is fidgeting. I would prefer the 'v' but he doesn't have enough muscle for that yet.

If I can jump in...
What do you use when putting quarter marks on? I have tried a number of products (after water didn't seem enough), but nothing holds them. Give it 2 minutes and they have faded. Maybe he doesn't have the coat for them.

Thanks

I am using the Supreme Products stuff. Deluxe Coat Gloss first, then the Quarter Mark Spray, then do the marks. I have also just bought a quarter marker brush and that has made a huge difference. I was using it last night, and without the products it was bringing up lovely marks. (I actually treated myself to the whole Alan Davies pack, ooops!)

BethanT

Visit site
I do some wonderful creations on the racehorses! But then I can! It's not showing so I can do what I like! It usually involves a thistle and stars. Other times I do steps and squares or stars, others I just do stars, stars and stripes, stars and squares ... you get the picture ������

Showing wise there are some good YouTube videos from the likes of the Hoods and Kirsten Douglas.

Love to see some pictures EKW! Sounds very arty. Do you use stencils?

SmallHunter

Visit site

If I can jump in...

Thanks

Use water first then put desired quarter marks on, then hairspray to hold and then Supreme products Sparkle spray to finish. Using that method I even got quarter marks on grey to show up.