Quaterback

Halfstep

Visit site
A few people mentioned him on Anastasia's thread and it got me thinking....he's just so young, isn't he? I know he's been performance tested etc, but he is quite an unknown quantity - you don't have much of a progeny record for him, you can't really know the kind of youngstock he throws, and you can't know whether he himself will prove to have the staying power needed to make it to the top. Don't get me wrong, he is truly lovely. But I'm not sure I'd use him myself as the unknowns would worry me. Am I terribly old-fashioned and conservative? Or by some miracle do others think like I do???
tongue.gif

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
Quarterback is a stunning horse with so much elevation in his movement, quite breathtaking and spectacular.......a BIG crowd pleaser for sure and got a standing ovation. I would use him but would like to see some foals first onto different types of mares. Hotline was the "in thing" last year and some people have been a little disappointed with his foals this year in Germany, depending on who you speak to. Then you have Florencio who was huge in Germany and Holland and even though EVA positive people still like to use him but the price of his stock has wavered slightly and I am hearing he is not getting the same amount of mares.

This is the thing about breeding...............its all a bit of an unknown quantity until you see a few crop of foals and youngsters on the ground. But somebody has to use them for the first time..........
smile.gif

And in saying that, you could use what is a reliable breeding stallion who has excellent, foals, young horses under saddle or high performing mares, but if he does not match with the mare you are thinking of putting him onto then you may not get the result you have hoped for either.........hope that makes sense.
confused.gif

I have to say that I dont like to "get on a crowded bus" so to speak when it comes to breeding horses...........what is the point in doing exactly the same as everyone else.......
smirk.gif

I could easily go and buy the best known bloodlined mare and put her onto the hottest stallion of the moment and probably sell the foal for a lot of money.......but where is the fun in that........its hardly rocket science......albeit the money would come in handy.........LOL
grin.gif
blush.gif

Damien

Visit site
Am I terribly old-fashioned and conservative?

Not so sure, the old fashioned way was to have national state studs standing numerous stallions specially selected upon their perfomance tests only, many of whom never comepted a day in their life! There are many great legends today who's ancestors hooves never left the soil and who have produced the worlds greatest athletes of today.. Choosing a young stallion is no different, you can turn to his pedigree and stallion test scores, assess his conformation and that of his parentage and pay particular attention to your own mare in the same way.

The stallion is correctly built and has a very fine character.

His mother Passionata is the half sister of the legendary world champion Poetin

His grandfather Quando-Quando obtained (under the saddle of his rider and proprietary Krustu Oatley-Nist) the 15th place at the world championships in Achen in 2006

Quattro is a son of the Selle Francais stallion Qredo de Paulstra, winner of the Grand Prix of Bordeaux. Qredo is sired by the legendary Galoubet, which two times won World Cup Qualifiers and produced international jumpers such as Quick Star and Quatoubet de Rouet. Grandfather Almé is even more famous with his offspring Jalisco B. and I Love You. At the other side of Qredo we find Furioso xx; father of Lutteur (Gold Medallist Tokio) and Le Tyroll; father of Rocket of Janou Lefebvre. Quattro himself is out of the famous line of Kermesse. Quattro himself was 2nd in the Performance Test at Medingen with a high score of 130 pnts. And in 1994 he was Reserve Champion of the Oldenburg Körung, based on his performance test and his first offspring.

Quattro jumped very well in 1996 with his rider Gilbert Böckmann and they won more than 20 1.30 courses through the summer. Meanwhile Quattro jumps at the international circuit successfully, including second in the Grand Prix of Emsbüren, Kiel and Bremen. He was also succesfull in Caen, Leeuwarden, Berlin, Munich and Geneva.

His first offspring show spectacular gaits but they also inherited Quattro's beautiful type and free jump very well. Since 1997 Quattro has more than 10 approved sons; Quando Quando, Quantes, Quatier Latin, Quell Charmeur, etc. Quattro's offspring Quando Quando, Much Ado and Quantum Tyme are famous in Grand Prix dressage.

Quattro remarkably had two children qualified for the Olympics in Athens 2004; Quando Quando for dressage and Oliver Q for jumping! Quicksilber won the gold medal at Lanaken in 2005 with the Spanish rider Manuel Fernandeze Saro and Suzie Quattro with Luciana Diniz and Quanta Costa from Rolf-Göran Bengtsson both jumped succesfully in 2005.

Brentano II was champion stallion at the stallion licensing in Verden 1985 and runner-up in the stallion performance test in 1986. He has sired many great mares who we see in todays leading dressage sires.

Beach Boy, an elite stallion from the Flyinge National Stud in Sweden. Born in 1983 in Holland, Beach Boy is by the internationally famous Selle Francais, Zeus (Nurzeus) whose offspring have earned more than 3.5 million DM and out of the Dutch Warmblood mare Sefane by the equally famous Lucky Boy XX. His impressive jumping pedigree has been confirmed by his performance and his breeding results both in Germany and Sweden.Oldenburg licensed and tested in 1986 in Medingen Germany, BEACH BOY placed 6 out of 52 stallions with 127.01 index, 5th in jumping with 127.91 and 15th in dressage with 113.20. In Germany he has six approved sons and 122 competition horses of which 16 are in upper level jumping and one in upper level dressage. Offspring earnings in Germany to date are over 200,000DM. Beyond Germany he has internationally ranked competitors in jumping and three day eventing such as Beach Game, Beach Star, Major Tom and Rabbisch. Since moving to Sweden he has claimed a top echelon placing. He is the only stallion in Sweden to have an equally high BLUP index of 141 for both jumping and gaits, which added to an index for conformation of 128 gives him a total BLUP index of 137. Of 117 offspring in competition in Sweden, 25 are already in the medium to upper level sport and he has at least one approved Swedish born son, Billy Boy.

Zeus
http://www.eurodressage.com/news/breeding/oldenburg/01_zeus.html

all we can do is research...................... :) make our choice and hope :)

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Some people do believe the 3rd & 4th generation are just as important in that some qualities can skip a generation or 2. I think I have taken a bigger gamble then most as I have never traced my mares history, so her breeding is unknown. People have called her a WB, TB & even AA, perhaps I should offer a reward for proven history! This is the stallions 1st foal so I had nothing to gauge from, except he has a full sister doing well in the states. He got some postive comments for his jumping from Liz Edgar when he went forward for his grading. His mare has proven stock & so has his sire, & both are line bred to KOD's. If you are using a mare that you have bred from before then using a young stallion is not so bad as the foal can take as much as 80% from the mare, so she should give you an idea of what sort of stock she produces.

Damien

Visit site
I agree the further back a pedigree you can search the better... and in particular the damline of the stallion and the stallions sires damline.. and of course your own mares, etc etc etc...
The further back you go the more line breeding you often find...