question about a youngsters teeth

jasperconran

Visit site
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice. One of the horses at the yard where my daughters horse is, accidentally knocked one of his bottom teeth out. The horse is 4 years old, the wound apparently looks clean and no bits of teeth remain although the owners did not call a vet. Just took someones word for it.

I am very concerned about this youngster and was wondering how long he should be left until he can be ridden again? and should the owners get the horse checked out by an equine dentist? personally I would have called the dentist/vet straight away, but the owners appear clueless.

Any advice anyone? I really want to help this horse and I am very worried. thanks

Sam22

Visit site
It is normal for horses to shed their baby incisors between the ages of 2.5-4.5, at the age of 4 I'm guessing its one of the incisors on the outside edge (furthest from the middle) that came out. In that case it is likely it was loose and about to fall out anyway. They normally fall out because the tooth below pushes them out. An experienced person should know if this is whats happens to this horse and it is nothing to worry about. You will see the adult tooth from below errupt over the next few months if this is the case. If it was an adult tooth that was knocked out then you have a problem. I suggest you review dental erruption times in young horses so you are better informed for the future.

cptrayes

Visit site
jasperconran I'm just wondering what you think you can do? If it is an adult tooth (unlikely) then you can't replace it, we don't give horses bridges or crowns :)

The only problem that it will cause is not for at least 6 months, when the tooth in the opposite jaw will need rasping so that it does not overgrow from having nothing to wear against.

Ditto Sam, though, this is the right age for corners to shed naturally.

Bertthefrog

Visit site
It is normal for horses to shed their baby incisors between the ages of 2.5-4.5, at the age of 4 I'm guessing its one of the incisors on the outside edge (furthest from the middle) that came out. In that case it is likely it was loose and about to fall out anyway. They normally fall out because the tooth below pushes them out. An experienced person should know if this is whats happens to this horse and it is nothing to worry about. You will see the adult tooth from below errupt over the next few months if this is the case. If it was an adult tooth that was knocked out then you have a problem. I suggest you review dental erruption times in young horses so you are better informed for the future.

That's a bit of a harsh reply don't you think?! JC is concerned and asking advice.

Not everyone on this forum is an expert in every field of equine care!:)

JC - whilst I may not agree with the tone of Sam22's reply - her advice is sound!

jasperconran

Visit site
hi, yes I did find Sam22 reply quite harsh as I only expressing concern for this youngster at our yard.

I am concerned because he is a baby who has a novice rider riding him. And he is constantly having his mouth pulled about harshly by the rider. I just wanted to get some advice as I have never had a horse with problems with their teeth before and I certainly havent had one who has knocked a tooth out!

But I do appreciate the replies I have received :)