question about change of ownership on passport

gothdolly

Visit site
Hi there
I have a question about change of ownership on a passport, as I cant make head nor tail of this. If the passport has to be returned to the passport issueing body then what happens if you need to move your horse in the meantime whilst its in the post or being lost by Royal Mail?? I know some transporters wont move a horse without a passport. Or if it needs the vet and they need to check the declaration about human consumption? Or if you suddenly need to move to a new livery yard (our yard have a rule where they need to see the passport).

Is there any way around this? It seems amazing to have to part with the passport as I would think it should stay with the horse at all times??

thanks
Cassandra

Rainbowrider

Visit site
I was thinking the same thing the other day. I thought I could take photocopies of mine, so at least I can prove I have one, and SHGB could then confirm it was in their possession if needed.

Dressagebabe

Visit site
Its only usually away for 10 days and its also so they can get another £15 out of us!! you will have to send it off when you know you are not going to be moving the horse. The Vet can always come back to fill out the passport for medical insertion after he has treated the horse.

gothdolly

Visit site
Yes... Im concerned that you never know when you have to move a horse as you can always have emergency transport to a vet hospital or a new yard (what if something awful happened like your stables burnt down etc). It just does not feel comfortable...... I would worry constantly.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
AS the others have said on both counts!
I always photocopy every page in the passport; I always write the horse name, number, sign my name and date in pencil on each page before scanning too (it can easily be rubbed out when it is returned to you) and always send it by recorded delivery too. That way you have done all you can to minimise risk of loss and if you should need a duplicate then you have good evidence of proof that you had it in the first place!

badgerdog

Visit site
I photocopied every page in the passport when I had to send it away for change of ownership. It was back within 10 days and that was from Holland so you shouldn't have to wait long.
smile.gif

brightmount

Visit site
The NIHB are really quick, I think it was only about a week. I sent it Recorded, but it came back by standard post.

D

Donkeymad

I have been informed - but I don't know if it is correct or not - that, as long as you have the PIO and the ULNE then you can transport. I also understand that you should be given 7 days to get the Passport to rhe asking Authority from the date of request.

However, don't quote me on this!!

case895

Visit site
I have written in amendments to the address/ownership section of my horse's passport by hand before. They might argue that it is not technically legal, but I suspect that any court would not agree!

Dressagebabe

Visit site
No its not legal unfortunately as they have to, by law, put a stamp mark over the change of address and sign it so that it is logged in the computer. My husband isn't allowed to do the change of address either and he is a Veterinary Surgeon!

case895

Visit site
I was only adding in the previous owner's name and address (by hand) as she did not register the change from when she bought him from the original owners. It may not be strictly legal, but it is accurate now, and I was not the 1 who failed to inform them. Admittedly, I took 3 years (rather than the required 3 months) to inform the HPA that I now owned him...