Question about dressage girth straps

catkin

Visit site
Many years ago I had a dressage saddle that had 2 sections of holes (and a third short strap!) so could use long or short girth. A long girth would need some sort of keeper arrangement to hold the excess I'd guess unless you trimmed to the short straps.
Would think that if the girth has some sort of 'y' system that could be unbalanced by moving to short straps?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There are 2 straps that hang straight down maybe I could add one on an angle and make it 3 and I suppose I could get someone to trim and add the holes, I have a local lady that does leatherwork and repairs I might message her tomorrow see what she says.

Tarragon

Visit site
This is interesting. My Strada saddle has two sets of holes, so a long girth could be used. This might be the solution to not being able to find a dressage girth, of the right shape, short enough. Is the only disadvantage having to work out what to do with the excess girth strap? No loss of stability or anything?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The whole idea of long girth straps is so you don't have the girth buckles under your legs. So it's whether you want the bulk or not?

I don't mind either but my horse doesn't particularly like a short girth his got a forward girth groove but short in the girth so it's hard to get a girth that sits right on him.

It's a saddle I bought for my other horse but it didn't fit him but my fitter said it fitted my other horse better than his current one, so I wanted to try it to see how he went in it without changing it too much or costing loads.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Changing the girth straps may be cheaper than alterations. You can keep the long straps for if you ever have to sell it.

Why couldn't they just cut them shorter with a craft knife, SB?

I've shortened some ridiculously long straps in the past, never to make it a long girth option, but I can't see why that won't work?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Actually I have just looked at the saddle and the first strap is angled like a point strap which I certainly don't need on this horse so looks like I will need to get new ones fitted anyway oh well.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Why couldn't they just cut them shorter with a craft knife, SB?

I've shortened some ridiculously long straps in the past, never to make it a long girth option, but I can't see why that won't work?

You can, unless it's a point strap and under the knee block, but it devalues the saddle. Much better to take off the long straps and have short ones put on, and it's not that expensive, usually £10 per strap.