Question about oldies

Parisexx

Visit site
Hi does anyone have oldies that are feeling the cold more as they get older? My mare had a hard winter last year with her arthritis. This year, twice I have arrived at the yard to find her running about trying to warm up. She was shivering.
She is naked at the moment as it's still mild and she's not normally rugged till least another month. I had to put a medium on her earlier as she was going to hurt her self running about to warm up.

kez81

Visit site
Hi does anyone have oldies that are feeling the cold more as they get older? My mare had a hard winter last year with her arthritis. This year, twice I have arrived at the yard to find her running about trying to warm up. She was shivering.
She is naked at the moment as it's still mild and she's not normally rugged till least another month. I had to put a medium on her earlier as she was going to hurt her self running about to warm up.

My oldie feels the cold more now. I make sure he has plenty of hay out from end of September even though we still have plenty of grass as I find this helps him. We have lots of shelter from the wind and rain but if he starts looking too cold the rugs come out (usually around november). In my experience though, most horses will stand still when cold to conserve heat rather than run around? Could there be something worrying her?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I made a similar comment on here a few days ago, about my 30 yr old mare, who has cushings. Apparently they struggle to regulate their temp, which totally makes sense

My girl has been in a medium today

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I once had a mare whose temperature control was always dodgy. When she was in her 20s, we had a really hot August day, 30 degrees. The others were all fine but she was far too hot and was cantering round in small circles. We had to bring her in and cool her down with wet towels round her head and neck.
She didn't have Cushings but I understand that poor temp control is a symptom, so it might be worth doing a test.

kez81

Visit site
I made a similar comment on here a few days ago, about my 30 yr old mare, who has cushings. Apparently they struggle to regulate their temp, which totally makes sense

My girl has been in a medium today

The weather being so changeable isn't helping I think. I like to rug as late as possible so his summer coat is properly grown out and he has some winter woolies of his own. Thankfully he doesn't have Cushing's but is arthritic and the cold makes him stiff. He gets a joint supplement daily all year round which I increase in winter for him as per vets guidance. Oldies do keep us worrying though don't they?!

Cleveland Bays

New User
Visit site
Have a TB in her 20's with arthritis... Does exactly the same... Goes almost mental if she's cold...
So I've learnt to listen regardless of the season etc. As once she has the "right" rug on she's happy. - Love happy horses.xx

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
Yes. Mine is arthritic. Is no longer a lover of staying out but gets stiff in stable. Can't win. I am half clipping soon as coat is thick and will then be rugging him nice and warm. I know it sounds odd. He gets so sweaty riding and we start trot work very soon. He is in light weight and out at night. Change at clocks to in at night which I think he will love.

He previously lived out before we moved this year.

Will up turmeric soon to.

Hells Bells

Visit site
Hello!

I'm more of a lurker than a poster nowadays, and can't update my signature as appear to have lost all I.T related skills since getting a new phone..but I have an oldie- a 37 year old welshie 😊 Ironically, one of my first posts on this forum was about pts...and four years later he's still here!

As someone has already mentioned, I find it's very much one rule for him re temperature and weather- he makes it clear when he needs a bit of extra help.

He was previously stables but I now keep him out and have converted the garden shed into a field shelter (much to hubby's disgust!) so he can come and go as he pleases. He's a bit stiff these days, so I don't like to keep him locked in.

I am happy with his condition this year going into winter, but every day I think about when his time will come..at 37, he's had a pretty good innings, but I know I can't be sentimental and almost find myself hunting for the signs.

Parisexx

Visit site
She wasn't worried or scared because as soon as I gave her hay and put her rug on she was content.
I had her tested for cushings this year as was neg.
She's a nightmare, hates staying out but is stiff as a board stabled. She'd out 24/7 at the mo and may try keep her this way x