Question about rider-horse height?

Megibo

Visit site
Yeah basically when would you consider yourself as too tall for your horse/pony? As I've got a 13.3 welsh (my first pony) who I've had 6 years, and she's really chunky and although I was tiny on her when I first got her I've obviously grown since then but she's never had trouble with me riding her. I'm 5ft 3 by the way. I was wondering cause my mum and a couple others think I look a little tall on her... :eek:

Karran

Visit site
I'm 5'2" and I still ride a 14h. I do feel a little tall on her but another 14h I ride is a chunky wee cob so I feel fine on him!

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
Think it depends on your horse and your build. Do you have long legs? A long body? Does your horse take up your leg well? Do you have a pic of you both?

I am 5'4" and ride a 14.2 - I look small on him because he is chunky.

MissSBird

Visit site
Depends on what type of Welsh. If it's a welsh B you may be getting to tall. If it's a Welsh C, I think you'd be fine.

Length isn't as important as weight; if you feel fine and your pony isn't struggling to carry you then go with your gut instinct. :)

And just for some reassurance - this is me at 5.2ft (with long legs :D) on my sister's fell, who is only 13hh high!

5thJuly2009482.jpg

LaurenM

Visit site
I'm 5ft5 and have a 15.2 sec.d and 14.2 cob x. There was a previous post along these lines. The general outcome was that it depends on the shape of the horse taking up your leg length.

dafthoss

Visit site
well I'm 5'2 and my boy is a 14.2 connie and I have plenty of space on him. But I have ridden an 11.2 welshie who coped fine with me and used to love doing more than his little rider did with him. I will try to dig out some pics as although I looked a little tall on the small welshie he takes up my leg and was more than capable of working with me.

Megibo

Visit site
I'm short body and short legs me! Ponys medium chunky i'd say if that makes sense, she certainly isnt a fine build. This photo is from 09 when I was 5ft 2 so i've not changed much at all since then!
memoose09.jpg

memoose09a.jpg

and the very end of 2009:

memooseend0f09.jpg

Last edited:

golddustsara

Visit site
I'm 5ft 8, 10st and I ride my 14.1hh connemara. He takes my leg better than lots of horses! I won't have anything but ponies, clearly I never grew up.

Alyth

Visit site
I'm 5'3" and ride a 13.2hh Arab mare. I am probably quite a bit heavier than you (as we get older we get heavier - it's all the information in our brains you know!! The head can't hold it so it has to slip down into the body!!) but my little mare carries me over many hills - I ride up them and tail down them! And she is in fine health!! Just enjoy the ponies.....

JustMe22

Visit site
My sister is probably 5'5 or so and rides a super slightly-built 14.2 pony. I'm 5'8 and ride him too, and frequently school 13-14hh ponies. They don't struggle with my weight (9 stone I think), so I think if you don't look/feel too big, then don't worry.