Question about riding bareback!

Jingleballs

Visit site
Sorry if this is a really dumb question!

I would like to start doing short bareback schooling sessions over the winter to try and help with my balance and position.

I've done some walking before and want to move on to trotting and cantering but when I used to go for RS lessons I was always told that you should never do sitting trot (which is obviously what'd I'd be doing) until the horses back had been sufficently warmed up with some rising trot and canter.

So how does that work for bareback then bearing in mind that for the first few sessions I will be bouncing about like a sack of potatos on his back.

Those of you who ride bareback, how do you warm your horses up properly?

somethingorother

Visit site
I used to do a lot of walk first and encourage the horse to stretch. Dont know if thats the right or wrong way, but i rode bareback at least once a week for quite a few months and never had any problems this way.

badgerdog

Visit site
When I've ridden bareback I've found that as long as I get the horse going in an outline and trot fairly slowly then it's easier to sit without bouncing too much.
I normally start off in walk and do circles, serpentines and then move onto leg yields, shoulder in etc I then go into trot. As long as you relax and go with the horses movement you should be alright. Saying that, I keep the trot to a minimum and do more canter work as this is much easier to sit to!

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
i always ride bareback, walk & trot & canter & jump
grin.gif

i usually walk loads then a little bit of trot, and canter as canter is easiest to sit to!

lucemoose

Visit site
Ive been riding bareback all summer!lots of walk exercises to start, circles, yielding, yadda yadda then keep your trot to a jog and stay relaxed and have a neckstrap
x

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I have a western style bareback pad with stirrups attached which I've never used but saddler advised not to use the stirrups even for short periods due the pressure points they can cause.

I'll just spend lots of time warming him up in walk first.

Blodwyn

Visit site
im so jealous i would love to do that but i have no balance end up gripping with my legs and end up on the floor as ponio takes it as a sign to go faster lol.

Pickle is so cute by the way you look really good together!