Question before I purchase a Barry Swain Semi-Flex

lisa56

New User
Visit site
I live in the states but these saddles aren't very popular over here. I am trialing one and my horse loves it so I am thinking I will get it but have a couple questions. The dressage model has foam panels and I am of the ilk that wool is better. The workshop emailed me saying foam is better but I see that they offer the GP in wool panels. It may be the foam that is making my horse move so well, but I worry that over time the foam will break down and then how will I have it repaired? I do have a great fitter but he only comes once a year. The other saddle I am considering is the Barnsby AVG which is no longer being made, however they agreed to make one for me. My horse just seems to like the semi flex better than the one a friend has loaned me. That one does need reflocking however and he only likes it with a prolite pad underneath. Both saddles are expensive and I don't mind spending the money this this is the first "good" saddle I have ever bought, but I want to know what the longevity is on the foam as well as the nylon points. Any thoughts out there?

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
I have two Barrie Swain saddles a Dressage and a GP and neither of them are filled with foam??!! Normally they are filled with serge which is a mix of wool and synthetic material. If u have a big moving horse go for the half panel.

Oliver12

Visit site
I have a Barrie Swain/Kay Humphries Mondial saddle which was the precursor to the semi-flex (I think). The Mondial has foam panels and it was about four years old when I purchased it five years ago. It has been used every day and there is no sign of any wear. My horse loves it and there is never any reflocking to worry about.

lisa56

New User
Visit site
Frozen how old are your saddles? The workroom also discouraged me from getting the serge panels which I asked about. Said they get sweaty and cause the flocking to break down??? I am confused as it seems like they sell one style over there and then another here. Oliver, is the Mondial the treeless style (think it's called the ultra flex now?). I think the saddle is only offered in a half panel but I will ask. Thanks for the help - I feel pretty confused as to why they are saying one thing and selling another, over here anyway. If you look on the Better Saddles site, you can see they offer two different fills depending on the saddle.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have two Barrie Swain saddles a Dressage and a GP and neither of them are filled with foam??!! Normally they are filled with serge which is a mix of wool and synthetic material. If u have a big moving horse go for the half panel.

Serge is the fabric that forms the panel not the stuffing which I believe is wool - well it is on mine.