Question. Ex racer owners.

TrasaM

Visit site
I went to races a few days ago and spotted a little filly I really liked. She's run four races and came last each time. And I don't mean last from five or six either.This young lady has been 12th from 12!
My view on TBs is look and admire but don't touch but there was just something about this one:confused: I think I'm in love :(
Anyhow question is..how many times do trainers /owners race a horse before they acknowledge that they are not cut out for racing? Do I contact the trainer or Big Sigh ! Forget I've seen her and her beautiful big brown eyes...

zaminda

Visit site
It depends massively on who she is in training with, who owns her, and how she is bred. Also if she is only a two year old, they might try again next year. You tend to find big owner trainer combos tend to get rid fairly quickly, although tbh they often wouldn't bother 4 times! You may find she goes to the horses in training sales, if she is well bred probably newmarket in october, if not ascot sales.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Mine ran 4 times before they realised she was rubbish :)
It's worth contacting the trainer, after all they'll only say yes or no.

humblepie

Visit site
They normally get a handicap mark after 3 runs so sometimes after 3 or 4 if they are not doing well enough to get a handicap to get into the races the owner may decide enough is enough. Echo CFG nothing to be lost in ringing.

Visit site
I echo the above - No harm in asking! Sometimes if you show an interest in a horse as a "normal horse" and the trainer doesn't think it's worth it's salt as a racehorse but the owners want to carry on regardless they can always say to the owner - look your horse isn't great at it's current job but I do know of someone that would maybe like her to do other stuff with.

I'd ask, just don't be offended if they tell you to sod off or be overly surprised if they offer to give you the horse and transport it for you too if they want it out! Lol!

TrasaM

Visit site
Think I will phone them then. Mare AND TB not what I was planning but I could always just plonk her in a field and admire her and feed her carrots Lol. She's not with a very successful trainer either and owned by a syndicate. Me thinks someone went for looks when they chose her but she does not seem to get the concept of racing that's for sure. She was born on my OHs birthday so I'm really pushing that and he's agreed that although he knows nothing about horses other than betting in them that she was special..just not a racehorse poor baby.

wits end

Visit site
Contact them. If she's that bad chances are they won't want her for breeding and you can snap her up.

The 'worst' ex racer I own did 9 races and made less than $1000 - not terrible per say, but still bad enough that they sold her when approached. Again, we just saw something special (and we were right!) and knew we needed her.

TrasaM

Visit site
Contact them. If she's that bad chances are they won't want her for breeding and you can snap her up.

The 'worst' ex racer I own did 9 races and made less than $1000 - not terrible per say, but still bad enough that they sold her when approached. Again, we just saw something special (and we were right!) and knew we needed her.

Why do horses do that to us? I wasn't actually planning to get a horse just yet. I'd even been offered a loan and was dithering about the commitment required. Then She trots by! I even put a bet on her at 100-1 lol.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Unless you have a really good set of connections round you I would stay well clear. Judging by your other posts I am afraid you don't sound like you have enough experience to retrain a racer.

Gloria Victous

Visit site
I would contact the trainer if you feel that you can offer her a home, but please be aware that just because she comes last in her races it does not mean that she will be quiet to ride. Do you have the knowledge to take on a horse straight out of training?

Honeylight

Visit site
If it's the one I think it is, she goes back to Pretty Polly. She is fairly well bred, but not so fantastic someone would want to hang on to her in the circumstances.
Good luck!

Honeylight

Visit site
She also has 5 crosses of Northern Dancer, so I'd be aware of soundness issues. There maybe something physically wrong with a filly that comes last every time; it might not just be attitude.

Victoria25

Visit site
Ohhh ring trainer and speak to them! My lad ran/jumped for 4 years before the realised he was just plain rubbish ... when I spoke to his trainer he said he was a lovely horse with a big jump but just wasnt 'interested' in racing :rolleyes: bought a year ago and only just getting somewhere with him but wow, it's a special feeling - I actually did a pathetic girl cry after our schooling session Sunday as I was that proud of how far he's come :eek:

TrasaM

Visit site
She also has 5 crosses of Northern Dancer, so I'd be aware of soundness issues. There maybe something physically wrong with a filly that comes last every time; it might not just be attitude.

Hi. Not looked up her pedigree but she's Royal gig..is this the horse you are referring to. Tried ringing trainer but no answer as yet.

Sophie123

Visit site
Unless you have a really good set of connections round you I would stay well clear. Judging by your other posts I am afraid you don't sound like you have enough experience to retrain a racer.

Agreed, I think you posted a while ago about it being your one year riding anniversary. I don't think a young Thoroughbred would be the best idea as a first horse.

TrasaM

Visit site

Thank you. You are correct in that I lack experience but I do have a support network in place with regards to livery and training. I will make some enquiries about her in any case to see what their plans for her are. She's also still to young to do much with which gives me time to catch up etc. Meanwhile I am doing some impulse control of my own. :) I hear so many scare stores on here and through other horsey friend's that I am really cautious about buying a pre owned horse in case it's been messed around with and has ingrained problems so I am looking for a relatively clean sheet, so to speak.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Does Northern Dancer lines have lameness problems? (reason being our tb has both him and Natvie Dancer in his pedigree but only once I think. He is also the grandson of Secritariat.

zaminda

Visit site
The only other horse I have come across by Val royal, was the aptly named rapid reverse, who never made it to the races when I knew him. Do be careful, but the trainer is well worth a shot, you are more likely to get honesty at home than in the sales ring.

Sophie123

Visit site
Thank you. You are correct in that I lack experience but I do have a support network in place with regards to livery and training. I will make some enquiries about her in any case to see what their plans for her are. She's also still to young to do much with which gives me time to catch up etc. Meanwhile I am doing some impulse control of my own. :) I hear so many scare stores on here and through other horsey friend's that I am really cautious about buying a pre owned horse in case it's been messed around with and has ingrained problems so I am looking for a relatively clean sheet, so to speak.

'A pre owned horse' - are you joking?

wench

Visit site
An ex-racer isnt a clean sheet. Its been trained to race. You could call the trainer, and even if she is available to a good home, the trainer will be able to spot a novice at 100 yards. If he is a reputable trainer, and cares about his horses, then will probably look for a more experienced owner.

A baby horse is not a good horse for anyone, no matter how experienced they think they are, let alone someone thats only been riding for a year.

wench

Visit site
Shes entered in another race this week anyway so I dont think they will be thinking of giving up any time soon

TrasaM

Visit site
Agreed, I think you posted a while ago about it being your one year riding anniversary. I don't think a young Thoroughbred would be the best idea as a first horse.

Yes, that's me.:) Unfortunately my fall free record ended yesterday when the pony ..as in 14 nothing ish, tripped and fell and catapulted me shoulder first onto hard ground. Result broken collar bone which needs pinning. Somewhat ironic seeing as I normally ride something twice the size and had survived a rather speedy cross country ride on him beforehand. Then I get broken doing dressage on a pony! Just knew the small ones are dangerous lol. I'll be out of action for six weeks at least.

Dab

Visit site
I went to races a few days ago and spotted a little filly I really liked. She's run four races and came last each time. And I don't mean last from five or six either.This young lady has been 12th from 12!
My view on TBs is look and admire but don't touch but there was just something about this one:confused: I think I'm in love :(
Anyhow question is..how many times do trainers /owners race a horse before they acknowledge that they are not cut out for racing? Do I contact the trainer or Big Sigh ! Forget I've seen her and her beautiful big brown eyes...

Ask yourself the following questions,

1. Why did she tug at the heart strings? was it just because she was pretty?
2. Why do you consider that TB's should only be admired and not touched?
3. How much experience do you have with bringing on a young horse? as really this is what an OTTB equates to in real terms and do you have the time and patience to commit to this project?
4. Do you have any experience or help close at hand with re-training and the management of an OTTB?
5. What do you want to do with her? will she honestly fit that bill?

You will find that a lot of the re-homing centres are full of ex-racers not straight from the track but from people who are ill prepared or inexperienced in dealing with this type of horse but have picked them up for a song and believing that they are doing a 'good deed' but then the wheels have very quickly fallen off of the wagon, and they can not cope with the needs of an ex-racer and they end up at best at the rehoming centres or much worse fates. TB's are very clever horses and pick up the wrong just as quickly as the right....so you have to be very sure that you have a clear and proper plan for re-training and management.

If you are happy with all of that then give the trainer a call pronto.